The Mac vs. PC war

oralloy

Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2019 04:58 pm
@JGoldman10,
What spare parts? Buy new.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2019 06:19 pm
@oralloy,
My family and I bought a computer tower from a guy who pieced it together from spare parts. That was cheaper than buying a new or used one. It worked.

If that's not refurbishing then what do you call that?
oralloy

Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2019 06:34 pm
@JGoldman10,
If you are piecing it together from separate parts, I would call that building a computer.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2019 07:10 pm
@oralloy,
Isn't there a more technical term for it?
oralloy

Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2019 07:29 pm
@JGoldman10,
There could be. I don't know. "Building" is good enough for me though.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2019 12:59 am
@oralloy,
The PC tower the guy sold to my family and I said it was "refurbished". That's good enough for me. I don't want to go into particulars over jargon.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2019 06:34 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

The guy who sold the PC tower to my family and I said it was "refurbished". That's good enough for me. I don't want to go into particulars over jargon.

-FIXED.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 1 Oct, 2019 03:08 pm
What role does Linux play in the Mac vs. PC war?
oralloy

Reply Wed 2 Oct, 2019 08:51 am
@JGoldman10,
Linux is a free operating system that is supported by people who believe in the cause of free operating systems. Despite being free, it is a very well made, secure, and functional operating system.

Being free though, you're on your own if you are having trouble with something, so it may not be the best choice for people who are not so technical-minded.

There are several varieties. I don't know much about the different varieties, so I can't really tell you the difference between them.

I don't think there is much of a Mac vs PC war anymore, but Linux is a third option, kind of like a third-party candidate in a presidential election.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 2 Oct, 2019 02:23 pm
@oralloy,
When I see the phrase "Linux vs. MAC vs. Windows" being used they are referring to operating systems.
oralloy

Reply Wed 2 Oct, 2019 03:09 pm
@JGoldman10,
Correct.
0 Replies

beantownmike

Reply Sat 12 Oct, 2019 06:56 pm
@JGoldman10,
You know Mr Gates & Mr Jobs used to be really great friends until they became business competitors.
When the internet first went live in the 70s it was only available at colleges & only live during some crazy hours like 1am-4am or something so the college libraries were not even available whats the point of that right?
Well.... Supposedly as it's been said Bill & Steve had been known to be frequent flyers of having to get in on this short window in fact this window was so important to them they would smash the glass windows of colleges to break & enter to practice their computer skills.
Jobs was never really all that much of a coder but Gates would have like a very limited amount of time to hack into the security systems mainframe before the police were alerted by the old school security system to delete the video evidence out of the mainframe. Then they would chill for hours studying & executing code!
Gotta love how that old technology was such garbage back then compared to now & it has become so much more in evolution.

Now currently neither one of them is CEO & they made their peace When Jobs was on his deathbed Bill Gates found out through a mutual friend, he did the right thing he wrote a very sincere letter & Steve Jobs kept that letter on his bedside table until his last day.
Very heartwarming ending to a feud that lasted decades isn't it?!

Anyways, If you read this whole thing.
Where does linux stand?
For anyone who didn't already know.... IBM still makes personal computers they just sold that angle of their business to lenovo so this wonderful Lenovo I'm typing from right now is in fact the modern standard IBM components (FAR SUPERIOR TO HP or DELL).

There is a game available on Linux that features Bill Gates & is kind of a parody I played it a few times it's pretty hilarious you have to stop Bill Gates from installing windows on computers inside a computer lab.
0 Replies

beantownmike

Reply Sat 12 Oct, 2019 07:00 pm
@JGoldman10,
If you have Linux I not only encourage but I URGE you to go into the library try to find the game that features a parody of Bill Gates & Microsoft Windows.
Fricken Hilarious!!
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 12 Oct, 2019 09:22 pm
@beantownmike,
No I don't have Linux. Is the game you're referring to called "XBill"?
0 Replies

aiden43

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2020 02:12 pm
@JGoldman10,
I always use Mac for my work but PC for my gaming.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2020 02:17 pm
There is no war any more. Macs and PCs use the same processer and there is very little you can do on one that you can't do on the other. Other than three fingered swipes and a few other niceties, there is little difference between a Mac and a PC.

Linux gives you more control at the cost of a little less polish. You can run Linux shells now on both Mac and PC, so even that doesn't matter any more.
oralloy

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2020 09:45 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Macs and PCs use the same processer

Actually Apple is transitioning their Macs over to ARM processors.
0 Replies

Simbadd

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2020 02:45 pm
@JGoldman10,
lol, how did I miss this epic rap battle video? It's fantastic!
Thanks for sharing c:
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2020 03:03 pm
@Simbadd,
Merry Christmas. Are you talking about the "Bill Gates Vs. Steve Jobs" ERB video?
0 Replies