Beyond our world, is time different?

rayban1

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 01:33 pm
Wrong........I didn't hit the 4th. I hit reality for you.......which one did you escape from?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 01:53 pm
Ray:-

The thread title.What else.Have you never read Joyce?Or Mailer?Neither of them would have let off a title as nutty as that as lightly as I have done.

We haven't even agree what time is here yet.Haven't you heard.

What does "time" mean?

What does "different" mean?

What does "beyond our world" mean?

What does the thread title mean?

Does "our world" mean "your world"?

This is a philosophy thread not an ice-cream parlour.You want to be able to get stuff on here that you can't get in any old pub.Don't you want to learn or just barrack?The forum itself is Able 2 Know (Philosophy and Debate section).

Is "he's nuts" philosophy or debate or a form of boo-ing?
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 02:38 pm
spendius wrote:
This is a philosophy thread not an ice-cream parlour.You want to be able to get stuff on here that you can't get in any old pub.Don't you want to learn or just barrack?The forum itself is Able 2 Know (Philosophy and Debate section).

I stand chastised for the vacuous question but you're the one who turned it into an ice cream parlor romp.........You are obviously a legend in your own mind and we mere mortals are supposed to tremble before your giant intellect. I await your next pronouncement to the world but I can't help but wonder if you've ever had an original thought or do you just parrot what others have written.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 02:42 pm
Yes. The rotation speed of our planet makes our time different from other planets.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 03:13 pm
rayban1 wrote:
spendius wrote:

I stand chastised for the vacuous question but you're the one who turned it into an ice cream parlor romp.........You are obviously a legend in your own mind and we mere mortals are supposed to tremble before your giant intellect. I await your next pronouncement to the world but I can't help but wonder if you've ever had an original thought or do you just parrot what others have written.

What are you going to say about that Professor Spendius, does this new chappie ( Hello rayban 1, I'm Mathos. You'll get to like me, everybody on here does. Welcome to A2K) I thought I was the only one who had seen through this Yorkshire Oaf, of poor education.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 03:20 pm
um, Is it possible for for two Ignoramuses to Debate Something? How is it Possible?

Is it Possible for Several Ignoramuses to Debate Something?

Are Ignoramuses Different Beyond Our World?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 05:23 pm
I understand the "are" in that and the question mark but none of the other terms have yet had a satisfactory definition.

I'm a "don't know" I'm afraid.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 04:00 am
beyond our world, and even in ours, time is not a different entity. neither is space.
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 10:26 am
brahmin wrote:
beyond our world, and even in ours, time is not a different entity. neither is space.

You make an "absolute" statement......perhaps you are correct but "scientific facts" as we know them are correct only for the moment or only until new evidence surfaces.

I have great difficulty resolving terms such as "billions of years" when speaking of the age of our planet and the term "light years away" when speaking of distances in the universe. What if one of our centuries is but a blink of the eye in another dimension? It would give a new meaning to the word "relativity" wouldn't it?
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 11:48 am
rayban1 wrote:
brahmin wrote:

You make an "absolute" statement......perhaps you are correct but "scientific facts" as we know them are correct only for the moment or only until new evidence surfaces.

I have great difficulty resolving terms such as "billions of years" when speaking of the age of our planet and the term "light years away" when speaking of distances in the universe. What if one of our centuries is but a blink of the eye in another dimension? It would give a new meaning to the word "relativity" wouldn't it?

a lot of evidence has already surfaced to prove that space and time are one fused thing. relativity has been experimentally proven.

in another dimension ??

did you mean another place in the universe??
then its just a matter of scale - i can have my "seconds" to be equal to your "years" or "centuries" or whatever.

or did you mean in some hitherto unknown 5th dimension?
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 01:15 pm
brahmin wrote:

Why not? If we can speculate on the existence of a 4th dimension......why not a 5th or even a 6th?

To my mind science has proven two things: 1. That scientific facts are facts only until new evidence arrives and 2. Science is constantly discovering previous unknowns which leaves only one conclusion.........there are many more unknowns to be discovered.

I believe it was once foolishly said by the head of the Patent agency in 1890 something that they might as well close the agency because everything had already been invented and patented!.!.!

Knowing now that he was probably the most foolish individual ever to open his mouth, we could apply that to scientific facts and conclude that we have only just scratched the surface of unknowns.
0 Replies

Executioner

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 07:20 am
I agree on that point of rayban1. Now we are familiar with only four dimensions...
But ask a person who doesnt know what the fourth diimension is... He'll say that fourth dimension is virtually impossible...

VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE!!!! coz the person himself cant think of it. But everyone isnt as intelligent as ALBERT EINSTIEN. And i have studied special theory of relativity in my term and i know how actually TIME acts in a similar way as the x, y or z coordinate of the space.

And the time itself is variant as any objects cordinates.. The time delays on a moving object.
So any object moving with a velocity close to that of the light will experience a considerable delay as compared to slow moving objects like earth which can be approximated to be stationary with respect to light.

Ever heard of the phrase..
"Running clocks move slowly!"

Its scientifically true... Proved by none other than ALBERT EINSTEIN himself!!
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 08:31 am
rayban1 wrote:
brahmin wrote:

Why not? If we can speculate on the existence of a 4th dimension......why not a 5th or even a 6th?

To my mind science has proven two things: 1. That scientific facts are facts only until new evidence arrives and 2. Science is constantly discovering previous unknowns which leaves only one conclusion.........there are many more unknowns to be discovered.

I believe it was once foolishly said by the head of the Patent agency in 1890 something that they might as well close the agency because everything had already been invented and patented!.!.!

Knowing now that he was probably the most foolish individual ever to open his mouth, we could apply that to scientific facts and conclude that we have only just scratched the surface of unknowns.

Thanks Executioner, for adding weight to my point. There are many brilliant minds on this forum but many lack imagination....... :wink:
0 Replies

Thalion

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 11:56 am
The only thing is that time had been noticed prior to Einstein; it simply took him to think of it as another dimension similar to the three spacial dimensions. I am uncertain about adding dimensions beyond the four because it becomes reminiscient of the epicycle mess - we'll keep adding dimensions until we get the math to work - although I must admit that these extra dimensions are mathematically "possible" (it was Hilbert if I remember correctly who explored non-euclidian spaces.)
0 Replies