Gallup Poll: US Trusts Military, Distrusts MSM

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 07:01 am
Somehow, I doubt we'll see this on the front page of any newspapers.

Quote:
Military Tops Public Confidence List in New Gallup Poll
By Donna Miles
American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, June 3, 2005 - The American public has more confidence in the military than in any other institution, according to a Gallup poll released this week.

Seventy-four percent of those surveyed in Gallup's 2005 confidence poll said they have "a great deal" or "quite a lot" of confidence in the military - more than in a full range of other government, religious, economic, medical, business and news organizations.

The poll, conducted between May 23 and 26, involved telephone interviews with a randomly selected sample of 1,004 people 18 and older, Gallup officials said. Those surveyed expressed strong confidence in the military, with 42 percent expressing "a great deal" of confidence in the military and 32 percent, "quite a lot" of confidence. Eighteen percent said they have "some" confidence, 7 percent, "very little," and 1 percent, "none."

Public confidence in the military jumped following the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, and has remained consistently high, Gallup officials noted. The 2002 survey reflected a 13 percent increase in confidence in the military over the previous year's poll. The public expressed a 79 percent high-confidence rate in the military in 2002, an 82 percent rate in 2003, and a 75 percent rate in 2004.

This year's 74 percent confidence level exceeded that of all 15 institutions included in the 2005 survey. Police ranked second, with 63 percent of responders expressing "a great deal" or "quite a lot" of confidence in them. Organized religion rated third, with 53 percent of responders expressing high confidence, and banks rated a 49 percent high-confidence rate.

Health maintenance organizations bottomed out the list, with just 17 percent of responders expressing high confidence in them. Big business and Congress tied for the second- and third-lowest rankings, with 22 percent of responders expressing "a great deal" or "quite a lot" of confidence in them.

The Gallup organization noted that public trust in television news and newspapers reached an all-time low this year, with 28 percent of responders expressing high confidence in them.

http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Jun2005/20050603_1544.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 869 • Replies: 13
No top replies

parados

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 07:06 am
I guess this means most Americans would sit quietly by while there is a military coup.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 07:47 am
Pardon me for saying so, but this is a dumb survey.

During a war, with US soldiers fighting and giving their lives in Iraq and Afganistan, someone calls you up and asks the question--- "How much confidence do you have in the military?"

Catch me right after I come home from work as I am about to spend time with my kid and I am likely to say "Oh yeah, I have confidence" without even thinking about what the question means. I think most Americans would answer like this regardless of what they think about the military.

But what does this question mean? Does it mean that I have confidence they fight well? Does it mean I think they are up to the job in Iraq? Does it mean I don't think they would tell anything less than the absolute truth?

This type of poll doesn't mean very much.

This type of poll may be a bit more relevant for media and congress where "trust" is a bit better define. At least I know exactly what I mean when I say I don't have confidence in the mainstream media.

It is a bit funny, I guess, that the mainstream media is trusted more than Congress...
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 07:51 am
What is MSM? Do you mean MSN?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 07:51 am
As the saying goes. The masses are asses. They are standing by while Bush and company destroys the nation. Why would one suppose that would be any different? I would point out that corrupt governments with the aid of the armed forces have taken control of nations throughout history. Is the US immune? I doubt it.

Note this was in response to parados post.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 07:53 am
Piffka wrote:

Main Stream Media, Miss Flyer . . . the political cogniscenti, or those who so consider themselves, have their own jargon. In the case of the right, an allegation that the main stream media is dominated by liberals is implicit--hence the emphasis here on people trusting the military, but not the media.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 08:10 am
The US has absolutely the best group of public servants the world has ever seen in its men and women serving worldwide.

I hope every single one of them gets to see this poll.

God Bless the troops!

<I predict that 74% will be much higher this time next year Smile>
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 08:16 am
Setanta wrote:
Piffka wrote:

Main Stream Media, Miss Flyer . . . the political cogniscenti, or those who so consider themselves, have their own jargon. In the case of the right, an allegation that the main stream media is dominated by liberals is implicit--hence the emphasis here on people trusting the military, but not the media.

Oh, thanks, Mr. Set. I'd think the reason so few trusted the media (if this poll is to be believed) is that they've not acted like the fouth estate at all.... most are a rah-rah group for this administration, soft-pedalling their questions and pandering to the growing fascism. They don't have nearly enough backbone.

Millay said it well:

Quote:
For the time wrongs us, and the words most common to our speech today
Salute and welcome to the feast
Conspicuous Evil-- or against him all day long
Cry out, telling of ugly deeds and most uncommon wrong.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 08:28 am
JustWonders wrote:

<I predict that 74% will be much higher this time next year Smile>

Why would you bet that?

The article clearly indicates a downward trend:

Quote:
The public expressed a 79 percent high-confidence rate in the military in 2002, an 82 percent rate in 2003, and a 75 percent rate in 2004.

The 82% in 2003 would have coincided with the invasion of Iraq / Mission Accomplished BS.

Of course we have the best young men and women defending our country. That isn't the same as trusting our military. "The military" is a government agency not the individuals. I don't trust government agencies.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 08:40 am
Article
Big business and Congress tied for the second- and third-lowest rankings

Based upon that statistic one could assume a run on encumbents in 06. However, I have very little confidence in that happening.
0 Replies

rodeman

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 06:39 pm
The masses truly are asses..................................
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 07:29 pm
rodeman wrote:
The masses truly are asses..................................

So long as The Dems cling to that notion, The Repubs are in great shape. Go for it, kids. Believe me, we appreciate your accomplishments.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 07:54 pm
I'm betting along with au.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 07:15 am
I'm not a pacifist (I think these days it's not possible) but I am reminded of the old pacifist slogan about a bayonet being a weapon with a worker at both ends.
0 Replies