Your Favorite Barbecue Sauce?

cjhsa

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 03:32 pm
What's your favorite and why?

I don't know if I can name just one, but we typically have Bullseye original or Trader Joe's Kansas City style around the house.

squinney

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 05:04 pm
That's a hard one. Having grown up on the "red sauce" I thought that was BBQ. Moved to the south and discovered mouthwateringlickyourlipsandsuckyourfingersCarolinaBBQ.

Can't beat a good vinegar/hot sauce BBQ.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 07:10 pm
Yea. Verily I say unto thee.

Your sauce must be of the mustardy-yellow variety, and have affixed on the label, a picture of the man called Maurice Bessinger.

Into this rich, vinegar-like substance, one must chop into infintessimal bitlets, a Vidalia onion (on-yohn), and dash some devlish Tabasco sauce upon the mixture.

<nods>
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 07:27 pm
I can eat the shredded BBQ of the Carolina plantations. I find this quite desirable in a plate with 4 sides and some good warm cornbread.
O course when it comes to ribs, I like Trader Joes but I doctor it up so it gets a bit spicier and we add some finely minced garlic and then I thin it out so that the pork (usually ribs) are parboiled and then mop sauced at the last 15 minutes or so.

Juniors beef ribs from Ada Oklahoma, are the best beef ribs I ever et, and they use a homemdae sauce (I could see lots of institutional jugs of Ketchup which, is really the base of most tomatoey sweet BBQ sauces.

God Im a gettin hungry.

WHATEVER you do, dont listen to any of these fools that want you to use mesquite wood.

On chicken, weve found that something like NEwmans Own Rasberry salad dressing is a great BBQ sauce.

That sauce with the black guy on the label with the saying "My life is in these bottles" Thats pretty good too, but its more spicey and less sweet. It is a fine line between the Carolina "pork pickin" sauce and the normal sweet tomatoey BBQ.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 09:33 pm
Juniors Beef Ribs from Ada? Dang! I thought for sure I was the only other person here that had ever heard of Ada, OK. Had no idea they made great ribs.

Shortly after we married and had daughter, Bear invited a couple of families over. The guys built a wood play set while the women watched. Ended the day with a cook out.

I had bought tons of ribs. Fed the kids first and gave them the little ones. The guys come in sweaty and hungry and ask where the ribs are.

"Right here."

"Those? What are those?"

"Ribs." still smiling and proud of the huge platter of BBQ ribs.

"Uh, those are not pork ribs."

"Oh, no the pork ribs I fed to the kids since they are smaller."

I've never in my life seen more disappointed males. I had no idea, being from the midwest, that pork ribs were preferable in the south. I'll never make that mistake again! I got a LOT of ribbing!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 02:19 pm
mesquite.
any brand'll do...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 05:06 pm
heee heee, fool.
Mesquite is a joke . Would you cook your BBQ over shredded telephone poles?

Mesquite makes everything taste like creosote.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 05:15 pm
whatever, farmerdude.
my taste buds don't lie!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 05:19 pm
do you smoke tobacco?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 07:09 pm
Nope, he doesn't. Smile
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 07:12 pm
KC Masterpiece (original recipe) is my favorite, but local Oklahoma's "Head Country" is a close second.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 07:47 am
I've got a bottle of something called Redneck Gourmet (Atlanta). It's been in my refrigerator for a couple of years. It won't come out. I think I might need the help of a cell extraction team from Corrections to get at it.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 10:21 am
Quote:
do you smoke tobacco?

nope.
i just happen to like mesquite-flavored meat Razz
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 10:46 am
Mesquite is fine for grilling, but the smoke from it tastes horrible. Like cooking with railroad ties.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 10:47 am
Anyone try the Cattleman's that is just coming on the market?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 11:18 am
Region-dont let any of the texas gang catch you talkin about mesquite. They use it to keep bugs away from cities down there.
I grille with oak or hickoy with some apple or peachwood in the firebin. SMOOOOOTH. No creosote taste on the meat.
0 Replies

voldemort

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 06:08 pm
i like Sweet Baby Ray's the best!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 12:38 pm
Cookin ribs fer supper today. I hadem rubbed up with a special sweet and garlicky rub that has a little cornstarch to impart a nice crust on the bark. I made up a sauce out of Stubbs sauce which Ive taken up several notches to borderline hot.
Its basically a KC style with more garlic and mombasa pepper dust. (Mombasa is like scotch bonnet, very hot so I dont use much) the ribs are in the smoker and will be in there till about 5 PM.
FIRST RIBS OF THE COOKOUT SEASON.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 12:41 pm
@farmerman,
ribs sound tasty. and like a lotta work.

I got a steak marinating for ol' smoky.

I'm having salmon.

it's raining, but we don't melt.

no sauce today...
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 12:49 pm
I'm cooking slim jims over a tire fire... To each his own.
0 Replies