Can Atheists learn to speak Theist?

livinglava

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2019 03:35 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:

Quote:
That's what you keep saying. You keep saying that Christians think non-Christians are generally not as good of people. If that's not what you are saying, then what is it?
And even here....you can't bring yourself to put the words 'without expecting reward / for who they are inside'....but you can , frequently add 'for recognition'...

...so yet again evidence of your suspicion of non-christians

Ok, you're just playing blame games. I'm not going to keep trying to communicate clearly about what you're talking about if that's the case.

Quote:
Quote:
And have you yet understood the concept of salvation from sin?
I understand it. I said I don't think it necessary. You apparently can't get your head around that.

Fine, but then why do you keep going on about how Christians regard non-Christians? If you don't care about salvation from sin and they do, why would you expect them to regard non-Christians the same as people who accept salvation?

Quote:
Quote:
And what does it matter to you if Christians trust non-Christians except as a reward or status?
Rofl...you really don't understand? This conversation is not about genuinely kind, compassionate people wanting your recognition - it's brought up because of the hypocrisy in your beliefs.

But you don't care about salvation enough to understand it well enough to have your analysis of hypocricy matter.

Quote:
In Christianity:
- Members are meant to love others as they do themselves - they can't do this if they are more suspicious of the Goodness of non-christians than they are of Christians (purely because they are non-christian)...You are applying a different standard of love and acceptance to one group than the other

That's not correct. You love your children, but if they lie you can't trust them. Not trusting them isn't equivalent to not loving them. You just deal with them differently because they are untrustworthy.

Quote:
- Members are not meant to Judge. That is for God....but your greater suspicion of non-christians than christians IS judgement. If you weren't engaging in judgement, you wouldn't be more suspicious of their motives for kindness etc than Christians.

'Judgement is widely misunderstood because of the present day interpretation that observing sin as sin is a form of judgment. To grasp the difference between observing sin as sin and judgement of sin, you can look at the story of the woman caught in the act of adultery, where Jesus said, 'let him without sin cast the first stone.' Jesus did not deny that the woman committed adultery, but He told others that they shouldn't kill her for her sin because basically everyone is guilty of adultery, in thought if not in deed. So 'judgment' doesn't refer to seeing sin as sin, but to punishment, and more specifically punishment that goes beyond corrective discipline. Love involves rebuking and correcting sin, but judgment refers to condemning someone to death/hell for their sins. Sinners are forgiven by the grace of God, but they/we are still sinners and our sins have to be dealt with, ideally in the gentlest way possible, as per Matthew 18:15-17.

Quote:
Funnily enough, it's also become an extended conversation because you can't be honest about your suspicion and just say that you are more suspicious of the kindness,compassion etc done by Non-christians (who do so for no external reward, but because that is what they want to be), than you are of the same kindness etc coming from Christians....your writing consistently shows it, but you haven't been able to bring yourself to be honest and actually admit it.

Everyone is a sinner, whether Christian or non-Christian. When someone (truly) accepts salvation, however, they are entering into a covenant with God to confess and repent their sins to the best of their ability. Non-Christians do not accept this same covenant with God, so why would you trust someone who avoids such a covenant? Just because they are kind and do good deeds? The person could still be harboring sins they refuse to confess and repent for, so they are basically just sinners who have cultivated a good exterior for the sake of maintaining the sins they don't want to confess and repent.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2019 12:17 am
@livinglava,
So you know it's part of Christianity, you even know where it's from, but you choose to ignore it.

Your pick 'n mix approach could be considered rank hypocrisy.
vikorr

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2019 02:10 am
@livinglava,
Quote:
Ok, you're just playing blame games. I'm not going to keep trying to communicate clearly about what you're talking about if that's the case.
rofl...yet another different way of saying "I'm not going to answer that question". Why not just be honest about what you think.

Quote:
But you don't care about salvation enough to understand it
You believe that if a person understands it, they would have no choice but to embrace it. This is faulty logic.

Quote:
That's not correct. You love your children, but if they lie you can't trust them.

- how does your example equate to you having less trust for the motivations of a non-Christian who is genuinely kind because that is who they are inside - why would you trust their kindness less than that of Christian?
- Your example also doesn't equate to a genuinely honest non-Christian (who is honest because they think it's a good principle to live by)...you can't say 'well if a child lied then XYZ, when you talk about a non-Christian who doesn't lie. So why would you be more suspicious of their honesty than a Christians?

Quote:
the present day interpretation that observing sin as sin is a form of judgment
Don't know where you got this, and it's not the observation that is the judgement, Funnily enough I was going to use the same example as you relating to judgement. They had judged her as unworthy because of perceived sin. You judge non-Christians as less worthy, and more suspect.

Quote:
so why would you trust someone who avoids such a covenant?
Wonderful, so you finally admit your suspicion. The answer is easy - if the motivation is done for 'who you are', 'who you see yourself to be' 'because that is who you are'...it is the strongest motivation that anyone ever engages in. Actions done for acclaim, for recognition, for external reward are no where near as strong. When they do it for who they are, they test their actions and find their principles, and tend to live much more strongly by their principles.

The very best Christians I have met, have been inevitably humble, kind hearted people, who are accepting of others, and who are that way almost by nature. They gain a lot of internal joy from being kind to others. Their religion may ask that of them, but they are that way, in the end, because that is who they like to be.

The most hypocritical Christians I have met, have been that way because of what they perceive to be the rewards: recognition amongst the church, comments of 'how kind you are', people looking up to them, and the loud (sometimes loudly humble) proclamation of right living, confessing their sins, being forgiven by God, etc.

You apparently can't yet understand how strong internal motivation is, likely because, in the end, you are living an external reward driven life. That is resulting in a LOT of problems with your logic. Contrary to that, once you find your principles (and they stand the test of time, and you live by them), life becomes a lot more simplified, and a lot more internally peaceful

But for whatever reason, you want to believe you are better than others (Non-christians).
hightor

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2019 05:18 am
@livinglava,
Quote:
(...)so the question becomes whether there are any atheists who would ever be willing to put their opposition to religion aside in order to simply understand religion and communicate with believers in a way that respects what those believers understand and mean with the language and concepts they use, which are derived from religious culture.

The corollary asks whether there are any religionists who would ever be willing to put their opposition to freethought aside in order to simply understand secularism and communicate with non-believers in a way that respects what those non-believers understand and mean with the language and concepts they use, which are derived from scientific materialism.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2019 05:22 am
@hightor,
I think his opposition to the teachings of Christ is more telling.

The OP personifies all that is wrong with "Christianity" today.
0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2019 06:26 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

So you know it's part of Christianity, you even know where it's from, but you choose to ignore it.

Your pick 'n mix approach could be considered rank hypocrisy.

My sins are forgiven. You choose to ignore that.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2019 06:31 am
@livinglava,
I ignore most of what you say. I thought your sins were only forgiven if you repented. I've not seen any evidence of that.

The opposite in fact. You seem proud of your bigotry, mendacity and lack of humanity.
0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2019 06:37 am
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:

Quote:
rofl...yet another different way of saying "I'm not going to answer that question". Why not just be honest about what you think.

It's not just "yet another way." It's a specific reason.

Quote:
Quote:
But you don't care about salvation enough to understand it
You believe that if a person understands it, they would have no choice but to embrace it. This is faulty logic.

You don't understand it, so what else can you say about it that's relevant? Nothing.

Quote:
Quote:
That's not correct. You love your children, but if they lie you can't trust them.

- how does your example equate to you having less trust for the motivations of a non-Christian who is genuinely kind because that is who they are inside - why would you trust their kindness less than that of Christian?

I explained it. You don't listen to anything I say before responding, so why do you keep responding?

Quote:
- Your example also doesn't equate to a genuinely honest non-Christian (who is honest because they think it's a good principle to live by)...you can't say 'well if a child lied then XYZ, when you talk about a non-Christian who doesn't lie. So why would you be more suspicious of their honesty than a Christians?

The same reason you would be more suspicious of an apostate than a sincere/honest/true believer of any religion.

Quote:
Quote:
the present day interpretation that observing sin as sin is a form of judgment
Don't know where you got this, and it's not the observation that is the judgement, Funnily enough I was going to use the same example as you relating to judgement. They had judged her as unworthy because of perceived sin. You judge non-Christians as less worthy, and more suspect.

Judging someone as less worthy is a slightly different use/meaning of the word 'judgment' than the one that refers to stoning a sinner to death.

Quote:
Quote:
so why would you trust someone who avoids such a covenant?
Wonderful, so you finally admit your suspicion. The answer is easy - if the motivation is done for 'who you are', 'who you see yourself to be' 'because that is who you are'...it is the strongest motivation that anyone ever engages in. Actions done for acclaim, for recognition, for external reward are no where near as strong. When they do it for who they are, they test their actions and find their principles, and tend to live much more strongly by their principles.

You make all these claims, and I get tired of refuting them. They are not responses to what you're quoting. They are just things you think and you assert them as responses to things I say even though they're not related so you can get someone to listen to you.

Quote:
The very best Christians I have met, have been inevitably humble, kind hearted people, who are accepting of others, and who are that way almost by nature. They gain a lot of internal joy from being kind to others. Their religion may ask that of them, but they are that way, in the end, because that is who they like to be.

You may like them for whatever reason you do, and you may judge me as being worse than them; but they like me and you are all sinners, so the issue is salvation, not how good we are as Christians or non-Christians.

Quote:
The most hypocritical Christians I have met, have been that way because of what they perceive to be the rewards: recognition amongst the church, comments of 'how kind you are', people looking up to them, and the loud (sometimes loudly humble) proclamation of right living, confessing their sins, being forgiven by God, etc.

It all comes down to how sincere/honest/true/faithful you are in your heart. When we truly believe in salvation and redemption through Christ, it doesn't matter how dirty we are, God will cleanse us eventually. We are 'works in progress.'

Quote:
You apparently can't yet understand how strong internal motivation is, likely because, in the end, you are living an external reward driven life. That is resulting in a LOT of problems with your logic. Contrary to that, once you find your principles (and they stand the test of time, and you live by them), life becomes a lot more simplified, and a lot more internally peaceful

I could discuss the issue of internal and external rewards in another thread, but I'm not going to let you shift the topic to that as a substitute for salvation. Salvation is the thing you keep denying about Christianity, and it fundamentally misrecognizes Christianity for what it is. That is extremely disrespectful to Christianity.

Quote:
But for whatever reason, you want to believe you are better than others (Non-christians).

Stop posting responses that ignore the posts you are responding to. It's not fair and it makes you a liar for pretending to have understood what you are responding to.
vikorr

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2019 02:23 pm
@livinglava,
Quote:
It's not just "yet another way <insert: of avoiding answering the question>. It's a specific reason"
So your reason for not answering a simple question was "You're just playing blame games"...by which you mean "you keep pointing out that I'm avoiding the question, so I'm going to call that 'blame games' and not answer the question"

Though in the end, you later answered it, even if not entirely directly.
Quote:
I explained it. You don't listen to anything I say before responding, so why do you keep responding?
I've answered this numerous times, with examples and explanation :
- I understand what you are saying.
- you use really poor examples
- you get your logic wrong
- you avoid evidence
- you engage in hypocrisy

That you can't comprehend this because of your lack of conversational honesty, is your own issue.

Quote:
Judging someone as less worthy is a slightly different use/meaning of the word 'judgment' than the one that refers to stoning a sinner to death.
True, but the bible doesn't just talk about that woman, as you well know, because the very well known verse is Matthew 7:1-5 is very clear that 'judgement' does not just relate to death judgements

“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. 3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

Luke 6:37-42, James 4-11, Romans 2: 1-3, Romans 14:10, contains similar sentiments. None of them talk of judgement as the type of judgement passing death sentences in this life.

The first is is one of the most famous passages on judgement in the bible. The others are known if you have ever studied the bible.You must know it very well...so yet again...why the intellectual dishonesty?

Quote:
You make all these claims, and I get tired of refuting them
You would have to be more clear. Do you mean claims that non-Christians can be kind, generous, compassionate etc because that is who they want to be, inside, for themselves? Or that you are suspicious of such? Because that is most of the claims you replied to.

Quote:
You may like them for whatever reason you do, and you may judge me as being worse than them; but they like me and you are all sinners, so the issue is salvation, not how good we are as Christians or non-Christians.
This is the problem with your broad strokes - I stated your specific behaviours that I've listed, here in this forum, as poor. You as a general person - you might otherwise have a lot of likeable things about you - who can tell.

Start engaging in accuracy and you'll become a lot more intellectually honest with yourself.

Quote:
Stop posting responses that ignore the posts you are responding to. It's not fair and it makes you a liar for pretending to have understood what you are responding to.

- Your whole avoidance to answering whether or not you are suspicious of the kindness, compassion etc of non-christians (done because that is who they want to be, for themselves)
- your continued statements adding 'for recognition' etc (which is entirely dishonest given how many times I corrected you that such was no what I discussed), and numerous displays of that suspicion
- you statement that 'they haven't entered into a covenant, so why should I trust them'

...paints you as seeing yourself as superior. How can you not see yourself as superior if everyone else's motives for kindness etc are suspect in your eyes? "I can be truly kind because I have God. You can't be truly kind, because you don't have God" See...morally superior.

And yes, we are talking about things we can compare on this earth, because that is all Christian- & Non-Christian have on this earth in common - the hear and now.
livinglava

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2019 02:38 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:

Quote:
True, but the bible doesn't just talk about that woman, as you well know, because the very well known verse is Matthew 7:1-5 is very clear that 'judgement' does not just relate to death judgements

“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. 3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

Yes, it is making the point that rebuke and reprove is for the sake of correction and betterment. If you are willing to correct your own sins, then that naturally extends to your brothers and sisters because you love them as you love yourself. When you focus on others to attack them (instead of to correct them) that is just ego-warfare, i.e. trying to put someone else down in order to win against them in some kind of competition. That another reason I keep telling you it's not about competition and status for who is better in whose eyes but about salvation and redemption from sin.

Quote:
Luke 6:37-42, James 4-11, Romans 2: 1-3, Romans 14:10, contains similar sentiments. None of them talk of judgement as the type of judgement passing death sentences in this life.

Do they ever say that you should ignore or deny sin?

Quote:
The first is is one of the most famous passages on judgement in the bible. The others are known if you have ever studied the bible.You must know it very well...so yet again...why the intellectual dishonesty?

Why the accusations and combative debate except because you don't believe in forgiveness and so you seek to seduce people out of forgiveness into shame and feelings of failure and inferior status. I am doing my best here, but all you do is put me down. You are not my master so you should stop trying to master me.

Quote:
This is the problem with your broad strokes - I just your specific behaviours that I've listed, here in this forum, as poor. You as a general person - you might otherwise have a lot of likeable things about you - who can tell.

I don't like you from what I read of your posts, but I try to respect you enough to answer those parts of your posts that strike me as sincere and relevant enough to not dissolve into pointless bickering.

Quote:
Start engaging in accuracy and you'll become a lot more intellectually honest with yourself.

You fire so many accusations, they cease to be meaningful. You just come across as a fountain of accusations and insults. In a way it is a good thing because it causes me less stress than when someone says hurtful things that come across as more meaningful and thought-out. Yours just come across as a barrage of attacks meant to prove you are a bold and powerful attacker.
vikorr

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2019 02:48 pm
@livinglava,
Quote:

Why the accusations and combative debate
You tried to frame judgement as only being related to death type judgements, despite how well known the passages on judgement are. It's intellectually dishonest, and should be pulled up.

So before we move the conversation passed that - are you now admitting that your statements relating to that were wrong?

Quote:
You fire so many accusations, they cease to be meaningful.
This is the most bizarre response, in context of what it replies to - it would mean you saying that "being specific so as to maintain accuracy, and therefore intellectual honesty, ceases to be meaningful'....have you placed that response in the wrong place?

Quote:
I don't like you from what I read of your posts
I wouldn't expect you to. It must be very uncomfortable having your more nonsensical behaviours and inconsistencies constantly questioned (as you engage in them so often in religion related threads). Too bad though, that you aren't willing to practice separating specifics from the broad. Yet another problem we seem to be addressing more recently.
livinglava

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2019 03:00 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
You tried to frame judgement as only being related to death type judgements, despite how well known the passages on judgement are. It's intellectually dishonest, and should be pulled up.

So before we move the conversation passed that - are you now admitting that your statements relating to that were wrong?

Yes and no, because they are related. Judgment by execution is most obviously not for the sake of correcting the sinner, at least not while living. From another perspective, of course, execution humbles criminals and makes it easier for them to achieve spiritual salvation prior to death and/or in the hereafter.

But from another perspective, Jesus was saying not to stone the adulteress who was caught in the act by appealing to the other sinners' awareness of their own sinful nature. In that sense, confession and repentance causes people to treat other sinners more mercifully.

So if you relate that to the other scripture that you quoted, about dealing with your own sins before dealing with others', that is really about treating others as you would be treated, even in rebuke/reprove of sin. You also mentioned the quote about being judged as you judge others, so there again you have a reason to judge others in the way that you would want to be judged. I.e. if you judge people to attack and win against them, others will do so to you; and if you judge in order to teach and raise-awareness, that is how you will be judged.

Of course there will be instances where you will be treated harshly by others in ways that you did not earn by you actions, but if you listen to people who believe in re-incarnation, they will tell you that you may have earned some harsh treatment by how you treated someone in a past life. Whether you believe in past lives through re-incarnation or just past generations sowing seeds that get reaped by their descendants, the concept of original sin being passed down from generation to generation explains why there is so much sin and suffering, even when people don't seem to have earned their harsh treatment by anything they've done in their current lifetime.

Quote:
I wouldn't expect you to. It must be very uncomfortable having your more nonsensical behaviours and inconsistencies questions constantly (as you engage in them so, so often). Too bad though, that you can't separate specifics from the broad. Yet another problem we seem to be addressing more recently.

I asked/told you to stop playing master/overlord to me in how you address me, but I could guess that you will continue out of sadism. It's fine, though, because I know you will reap what you sow and be treated as you treat others. Or maybe I have earned the way you and others talk to me by deeds I have done in the past or past lives. Who can know, really? All we can really know is that we're forgiven and on a path of redemption as long as we believe and stay true to the righteous path, which includes accepting Christ's sacrifice btw.
vikorr

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2019 03:08 pm
@livinglava,
Right, so you've withdrawn your claim that judgement only relates to death type judgements, and we're back to a place, I think, were we have a common understanding of judgement.

Quote:
I asked/told you to stop playing master/overlord to me in how you address me, but I could guess that you will continue out of sadism. It's fine, though, because I know you will reap what you sow and be treated as you treat others.
You wish me to stop calling out intellectual dishonesty? I see no reason to. For example regarding intellectual dishonesty - no where have you previously equated it to master / overlord, but now you claim to have done such. Maybe you thought such, but there's not even a paraphrase request in your writing (note: it would have to be very close to be an honest paraphrase, instead of an intent to demonise paraphrase). Your claim is intellectually dishonest.
livinglava

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2019 03:35 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:

Right, so you've withdrawn your claim that judgement only relates to death type judgements, and we're back to a place, I think, were we have a common understanding of judgement.

What makes it irritating to respond to you is that I posted a deep and meaningful response to your issue about judgment not exclusively referring to execution and all you do is take it, like a lawyer harassing someone on the stand, as an admission of the superficial point you were trying to make.

Reality is more complex than you are trying to reduce it to. You need to spend some time studying the deeper meanings of these things before arguing about them. I have typed many words attempting to help you think about them more deeply but you only continue to go on with your idiotic lawyer-like method of shooting accusations and trying to corner your respondent. Your case is so weak and superficial, and yet you think that if you keep pinning me to your points one-by-one you will win. There is no winning here. There is only understanding or not. To you, understanding is a stepping stone to winning but when I finally get tired of dealing with your posts to just ignore you, all that remains from this discussion is what we each got out of the exchange in our separate worlds. Maybe if you understood that, you would stop trying to win and just understand what I am telling you - and if there is something you think I've failed to understand, that's not just ridicule of me designed to lure me into guilt/shame, then explain yourself. But if your biggest objective is to ridicule me in order to drag me into guilt and shame, why don't you just stop because it makes you a terrible person for even attempting it.

Quote:
Quote:
I asked/told you to stop playing master/overlord to me in how you address me, but I could guess that you will continue out of sadism. It's fine, though, because I know you will reap what you sow and be treated as you treat others.
You wish me to stop calling out intellectual dishonesty? I see no reason to. For example regarding intellectual dishonesty - no where have you previously equated it to master / overlord, but now you claim to have done such. Maybe you thought such, but there's not even a paraphrase request in your writing (note: it would have to be very close to be an honest paraphrase, instead of an intent to demonise paraphrase). Your claim is intellectually dishonest.

All you do is keep turning the spotlight back to me and your accusations about me instead of reflecting on what I said about you. You use language that implies you are some kind of master talking down to a minion. If you think that is justified because you have deemed yourself judge and jury of 'intellectual dishonesty,' it's not. I'm getting to the point where I'm just going to ignore your posts because they are so aggressive, and I'm becoming so familiar with it that I already know you're going to reply and say the reason I'm going to avoid you is because I am dishonest and want to avoid the truth of your accusations.

In reality, you're just playing a rigged blame-game, which is mean-spirited and you don't listen to half of what I explain to you in response to the parts of your posts that actually warrant discussion.
vikorr

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2019 04:11 pm
@livinglava,
livinglava wrote:
What makes it irritating to respond to you is that I posted a deep and meaningful response to your issue about judgment not exclusively referring to execution and all you do is take it, like a lawyer harassing someone on the stand, as an admission of the superficial point you were trying to make.

Your ability to follow a conversation is incredibly poor. You used ‘judgement is only related to death type judgements’ to ‘answer’ my saying you engage in hypcocrisy through your judgement of non-Christians. As YOUR defence, it is not superficial to show your argument to be wrong.

Here you are doing so below:

vikorr wrote:
Members are not meant to Judge. That is for God....but your greater suspicion of non-christians than christians IS judgement. If you weren't engaging in judgement, you wouldn't be more suspicious of their motives for kindness etc than Christians.
livinglava wrote:
So 'judgment' doesn't refer to seeing sin as sin, but to punishment, and more specifically punishment that goes beyond corrective discipline. Love involves rebuking and correcting sin, but judgment refers to condemning someone to death/hell for their sins.
vikorr wrote:
They had judged her as unworthy because of perceived sin. You judge non-Christians as less worthy, and more suspect.
livinglava wrote:
So you’ve very clearly used as your defence, the claim that judgement relates to the death type judgement.

vikorr wrote:
livinglava wrote:

Why the accusations and combative debate
vikorr wrote:
Here I quoted the biblical passages on judgement, and only then did you bring ‘judgement’ back to the normal meaning found in the bible.

livinglava wrote:
You use language that implies you are some kind of master talking down to a minion.
Much better. Not how I see it, but at least you are engaging in accuracy.

livinglava wrote:
In reality, you're just playing a rigged blame-game, which is mean-spirited and you don't listen to half of what I explain to you in response to the parts of your posts that actually warrant discussion.

I don’t see blame. Just personal responsibility. You are responsible for your written comments. If they keep falling down in logic or consistency, why would you not expect them to be called out? You only think it mean spirited because you keep engaging in such and I keep calling you out on it. I did the same process to myself to iron out inconsistencies and hypocrisies. Certainly frustration occurs sometimes, but generally it’s an intellectual exercise, and there is some hope that you will actually start engaging yourself on a path to logical and consistent thinking. If that is mean spirited it’s an odd way of looking at it.

Edit: I will add that the sense of superiority / certainty contained in your posts adds to the motivation to pull up your inconsistencies. So there's an irony there.
livinglava

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2019 05:18 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
I did the same process to myself to iron out inconsistencies and hypocrisies.

Then why aren't you a good, kind person in your posts, as you claim is so important to you?
vikorr

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2019 05:49 pm
@livinglava,
Quote:
Then why aren't you a good
Oh dear, judgemental again I see.

It's odd how you see standing against:

- hypocrisy
- double standards
- dishonesty
- etc.

As being bad.

Quote:
...kind person in your posts, as you claim is so important to you?
Yes, this is one of the things isn't it - pointing out people are engaging in such behaviours is not generally seen as kind (though I note you provided argument for love while not putting up with lies). Would you consider it kind to not point out any of these behaviours you engage in?

Does kindness as a social issue, develop in the face of hypocrisy, double standards and dishonesty?
livinglava

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 05:29 am
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:

Quote:
Then why aren't you a good
Oh dear, judgemental again I see.

It's odd how you see standing against:

- hypocrisy
- double standards
- dishonesty
- etc.

As being bad.

Quote:
...kind person in your posts, as you claim is so important to you?
Yes, this is one of the things isn't it - pointing out people are engaging in such behaviours is not generally seen as kind (though I note you provided argument for love while not putting up with lies). Would you consider it kind to not point out any of these behaviours you engage in?

Does kindness as a social issue, develop in the face of hypocrisy, double standards and dishonesty?

Your posts are unkind.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 08:03 am
I just figured it out. LivingLava is living according to the Bible... as a Pharisee.

Quote:
“Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former. You blind guides! You strain out a gnat but swallow a camel.

He is focusing on religiosity... but neglecting justice, mercy and faithfulness. He is terrified of sexuality, but is saying that we shouldn't care for victims of human trafficking.

izzythepush

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 09:12 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I just figured it out.

After Sturgis, Vikorr and others have been saying umpteen times.

Flipping heck Max, what the **** gives?
0 Replies