Very annoyed about my job situation

mchalel

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 01:03 pm
I am applying for a job within my company right now> its a sales position. There are 3 openings and I know of 5 people in my company applying for them. for 3 of the people i'd be very happy if they got the job, but there is one person who i'd really be upset if she got the job. we'll call her sally.

Sally has been here 2 and a half years. I"ve been here just under 2 years. Sally is one of those people who hates her position right now. she complains about it to no end, gossips, is always late, and is out sick a lot. WHen she is out sick she is out for several days in a row...one time she was out mon-thru fri. As far as her work goes, she does do work, but i dont know what type of mistakes she makes. As far as i know she is applying for the same job i am and another one in addition to that. FOr this additional job, i was told i didnt have enough sales exp. I guess i am feeling bitter about this. I dont understand why she is being considered for it and i'm not. Her work ethic is awful. She may have had sales exp prior to this job, i dont know.

All i know is that i am so upset and i dont know how to deal with this anger. If she gets this job, i will feel like i want to leave the company. I will be embaressed if she gets the job over me. Another person who i am friends with in a different dept has said seh doesnt think she'll get the job, and she said she would leave the company as well if this girl gets it. I feel so angry!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 852 • Replies: 6
No top replies

roger

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 04:24 pm
Don't take a worse or lower paid job out of spite is all I can say. Less pay hardly ever equates to a better situation
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 04:44 pm
I think you're getting all worked about nothing. It's not likely she will get the job, but if she does, try not to take it as a personal insult. These kinds of decisions are based on a lot of things and it wouldn't mean that she was better than you.

I find that people often sum up themselves with respect to their co-workers to see how they rank, and that it is often helpful to feel like there is someone ranked lower. It ceases to be helpful, though, in situations like this where your ranking might not agree with someone else's.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 07:59 pm
Yes, I agree, you're getting too worked up about this. Look at it this way...if she DOES get the job, at least she'll be out of your hair! If she doesn't get it, you'll be stuck listening to her complain even more!
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 03:04 am
Is it possible that Sally's Supervisor feels the same way about her work that you do, and might want to get rid of her? It's hard to fire someone for poor performance these days, but it's real easy to transfer them away to be someone else's headache.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 07:25 am
Ah. The Peter Drucker Principle - to excess.
0 Replies

mchalel

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 08:14 am
re
'Is it possible that Sally's Supervisor feels the same way about her work that you do, and might want to get rid of her? It's hard to fire someone for poor performance these days, but it's real easy to transfer them away to be someone else's headache.'

This is what i am terrified of. To be honest though this job would be a big promotion/big pay increase and i would be horrified if the boss of my dept did this. He will have to give her a reference and if he says she's great and then she performs poorly i would think that would reflect on him. Also this is the sales dept-they bring in lots of money for the dept, i would think theyd want top notch people. But here are some examples of her:

She has

a) gone to HR to complain about her current position
b) complained to our boss saying she's unhappy here, he has even told her that he feels the same in a few months, she should consider going elsewhere (this was like 6 months ago)
c) she was basically told she was going to be fired if she was out for consecutive days in a row again.
d) her desk was moved, then she received a mysterious phone call from someone saying they were watching her to make sure she doesnt mess up
e) her attitude is poor which other people have noted, she constantly complains.
f) she has dressed inappropriately on several occasions which caused a 'dress code' e-mail to go out to our dept
0 Replies