Job Search in Canada from US

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 05:22 pm
I am considering a move to Canada (for reasons other than politics if you can believe that). I am just starting my job search and I am not exactly sure how the process is different than in the US, or what the job market is like for my profession.

I am a computer programmer. my most recent and extensive experience is with Java. I am currently working on a government grant designing mathematical software for use in education. Unfortunately the grant runs out in September. I have a Physics degree and experience in education.

I am most interested in working for a research group, preferrably either in science, math or education. I am also interested in small companies with innovative technology. Of course I would love to hear of any interesting opportunities in other areas.

I am already looking at the job search sites that pop up in Google. They seem (like similar sites in the US) to be centered on business type jobs that don't match my skillset.

I am planning to research Universities (which are often connected to research groups) and I am trying to find information on who is giving grant money, and for what programs.

I would really appreciate help with the following....

1. Any ideas on how I can get in touch with research groups, particulary in science or in education. If you can put me in contact with a person in this field, I would be forever in your debt.

2. How I can find small companies who are developing innovative projects.

3. Information on places I should look for organizations or small companies that would be of interest.

4. Any other hints on how to conduct a successful search in Canada.

Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 876 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 05:26 pm
Ebrown, it depends on whether you wish to take out Canadian citizenship, or simply apply for permanent residency. I'll go get you a link for their immigration department.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 05:30 pm
Here is a link for the assessment page to apply for permanent residence:

http://www.immigrationfirm.ca/assessment.html

There is a "point" system both for residence and for citizenship. The points are allocated according to age, profession, ability to speak, read, write and understand French and English, and other criteria. I couldn't immediately find the link for the citizenship assessment page, but if my Sweetiepie shows up, we'll get it from her.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 05:59 pm
The site Setanta's linked is for a company that acts as an immigration consultant.

I prefer to go directly to the government site where you can pick off the self-assessment.

For i.t. research, I'd look for things related to the University of Waterloo. It has been the hub of this sort of thing for about 30 years now.

I'll see if I can dig up some stuff through my alumni newsletter.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 06:00 pm
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/

the master site
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 06:02 pm
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/skilled/assess/index.html

link to skilled worker self-assessment
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 06:03 pm
http://rtpark.uwaterloo.ca/about/about.html

Waterloo Research and Technology Park
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 06:04 pm
http://www.nserc.ca/forms/formtable_e.htm

Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 07:52 pm
<go beth!>

<and good luck ebrown>
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 09:22 pm
Thank you so much. I score a 70 on the skilled worker assessment! (67 is the benchmark they give.)

I think I am interested in permanent residence.

Ehbeth, your two links are great.

Thanks,
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 08:11 am
I scored 84!

Just curious.

We're hoping to stay in Columbus for a good long time, but Toronto is one of maybe a dozen places that is in the category of "distinct possibility at some point in the future."
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 10:38 am
Glad to see the sites were useful, ebrown (and soz, just curious).

I'll keep an eye on my alumni newsletter for any news about research opportunities.
0 Replies