The Joys of Home Ownership

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 09:56 am
So I finally finished the roof this last weekend. One project down and a million more to go. Next up... painting the exterior.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 10:05 am
Re: The Joys of Home Ownership
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
I spent the entire Memorial Day weekend roofing and I plan on spending the next three weekends doig it as well. How about you?

JP, you sure picked a nice cool time to be on your roof didn't you? Hotter than an oven?

What kind of roofing material did you use? If asphalt-fibreglas, what brand did you buy? Reason I ask is that before I retired, I discovered an undisclosed change of material content by some manufacturers that can destroy aluminium gutters.

BBB
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 10:08 am
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
JP, you sure picked a nice cool time to be on your roof didn't you? Hotter than an oven?

What kind of roofing material did you use?

BBB

He used a 30 year architectural shingle.

I reroofed my parent's house during the summer of 1980. Of course that was the hottest summer here in history.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 10:09 am
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
So I finally finished the roof this last weekend. One project down and a million more to go. Next up... painting the exterior.

Congrats.

I've been slowly painting the exterior for a couple months now. Just working in the early morning weekend hours, before the sun heats up. Slow, but steady.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 10:29 am
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

You got that right... I can handle the heat but the sun is what gets me. The past couple of weekends there was absolutely no cloud cover what so ever and we got baked all weekend. The next Monday I have been nearly worthless at work.

BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
What kind of roofing material did you use? If asphalt-fibreglas, what brand did you buy? Reason I ask is that before I retired, I discovered an undisclosed change of material content by some manufacturers that can destroy aluminium gutters.

BBB

As Tico stated I used a 30 year architectural shingle. Owens Corning was the manufacturer.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 10:31 am
Ticomaya wrote:
Congrats.

I've been slowly painting the exterior for a couple months now. Just working in the early morning weekend hours, before the sun heats up. Slow, but steady.

Thanks... it feels real good to be done with it. I am going to tackle painting a few hours every night after work. I have my Father-in-Law's scaffold which should make it much easier. I can reach everything but the highest peak from that which makes it go much faster.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 11:14 am
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
JP,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

BBB

As Tico stated I used a 30 year architectural shingle. Owens Corning was the manufacturer.

JP, Owens-Corning should be OK.

Before I retired in 2002, one of our California homeowner associations roofing replacement was done with Certainteed material. Within six months, our aluminum gutters were destroyed. They said they couldn't find the cause, but I did.

I researched the material content and discovered that the manufacturer had stopped using zinc as a mold retardant and had started using copper, apparently because it was cheaper. The copper interaction with the aluminum when it rained severely damaged the cutters and downspouts. The company had to replace all of the aluminum gutters and downspouts with expensive copper, which was cheaper that replacing 230 roofs. They should have known the zinc to copper change would cause a problem since the most common gutter material is aluminum.

The company immediately withdrew their product from California, but the last news I had was that they were still selling it in all the other states. I put out the word to homeowner associations in other states, but I don't know if the company has changed its material content. You can imagine how unhappy the company was with me. They had an expensive repair to make and they lost the California market while they continued to sell it in other states. Such integrity---not?

The Certainteed roofing manufacturer's sales really took off outside of the New England area when the TV show "This Old House" used their high end, good looking asphalt-fiberglass material on a house being remodeled on the show. We chose it because of its appearance and quality. It was wonderful until they changed the material content.

You might want to check the material content of your roofing material just to be sure.

BBB
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 11:29 am
They really should have known that there could be corrosion between the two different metals... basic chemistry stuff there.

I have a layer of Ice & Water Shield in between the gutters and the shingles, plus my gutters are also made from steel, not aluminum, so I should be ok. But I'll check it out anyway... you never know.

Thanks for the info, BBB.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 11:35 am
hmmm
things really suck around here since I got sick last year, I've almost lost the yard cause I cannot get the sprinklers fixed, the tree that broke and took out a car needs to come down but cannot afford to take down the rest of the tree right now. Lost some shingles in a wind storm that need replaced sooner than later, put that under the money list. 2 days ago the handle and locking part came off the sliding glass doors, so we use a 2x4 to lock it closed. Starting to feel like hillbilly.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 11:41 am
Husker
husker wrote:
hmmm
things really suck around here since I got sick last year, I've almost lost the yard cause I cannot get the sprinklers fixed, the tree that broke and took out a car needs to come down but cannot afford to take down the rest of the tree right now. Lost some shingles in a wind storm that need replaced sooner than later, put that under the money list. 2 days ago the handle and locking part came off the sliding glass doors, so we use a 2x4 to lock it closed. Starting to feel like hillbilly.

Life sucks when a lot crap gets dumped on you when you've been sick.
Hope things get better for you.

BBB
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 12:15 pm
see my note on blirt it out - just got the sh_t scared out of me.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 09:19 am
when it rains it pours

When it deals out lemons make lemonade! Wink
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 10:18 am
i almost made lemonade in my pants last night when a small bat fluttered by my right ear.

dammit, i thought i had bat-proofed the house...
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 11:04 am
Region
Region Philbis wrote:
i almost made lemonade in my pants last night when a small bat fluttered by my right ear.

dammit, i thought i had bat-proofed the house...

Bat help

http://www.batmanagement.com/movies/moviemain.html
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 11:13 am
thanx BBB.
i'll give it a good read...
0 Replies