The Joys of Home Ownership

Piffka

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 10:32 am
Thanks for the compliments, and thanks, Osso, for that nice explanation. Osso has stood right near there and can vouch, I hope, for its relative stability.

That pretty white sand only costs $3.50 for each 100 pound sack.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 11:21 am
Our concrete driveway and walkways are being replaced next week with interlocking stone. The existing concrete driveway has been cracking and spalling for years and looks dreadful. I'm horrified at the cost, and we've been putting it off, but the time has come.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 11:29 am
We redid our side patio to make it usable for the summer barbecue season. It was a mess from construction next door, as they built a new fence and simply moved anything in their way up against the side of our house. The (stucco) fence still isn't completed (no stucco), but we weren't about to wait any longer for these clowns.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 11:48 am
They did what?! Shocked
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 11:56 am
This is our former garden, now a construction site. Our home is to the right of this photo, and the debris has since been rearranged somewhat, but the fence still looks pretty much the same. They don't plan to stucco the fence until they stucco the non-existent house. A--holes.

http://my.msnusers.com/_Secure/0SQCz*18Xynw5iyEroQNQ15vB7UHde!axWSlN5fJtt0TLu!Izzfm5Na3XDKpKmftXt2LozwRj97GezZPqSa2zRVkJ7IY!ED6RfcuFBsm9wvk*XAbPFcORZw/emptylot4.jpg
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 12:54 pm
tell your son he can use the neighbors for target practice!
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 01:04 pm
Is that your property or is that where the non-existent house is being built?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 01:06 pm
The latter.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 11:36 am
It's a long story. The vacant lot used to be part of the property to the left. When the owner decided to sell, he split the parcel for a faster (and likely more profitable) sale. It was a huge parcel for this area, 150'x80' or so, with a fairly nice 1920's mission style home and garage/barn on one lot. I'm sure the two lots sold for over $1M combined.

Anyway, years ago an old woman owned the home and we befriended her and started helping her in her garden, which she loved but had trouble dealing with for a variety of reasons. For her and two subsequent occupants we kept it cleaned up, trimmed the trees, planted and shared the bounty. So, that lasted about fifteen years. Now, it's just a scraped lot. Why they cut down all the fruit trees is beyond explanation.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 09:30 am
Well one more weekend, one more roof section down and only one more to go.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 11:13 am
The home to the left in the photo has become some sort of halfway home for illegal aliens. On Saturday, one of them walked past pushing a Target cart (stolen). The woman simply left the cart out by the curb in front of the house, so I went over and moved it up onto their lawn. The next day, you guessed it, the cart was in front of the empty lot. So I moved it back. :mad:
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 11:23 am
Don't worry... soon they will have amnesty and be living there legally Rolling Eyes
Maybe you should bake them a cake to welcome them to the country.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 07:09 am
happy happy joy joy.
the hot water heater kicked the bucket.

i'm babysitting the plumber today.
in addition to the new HWH, the dryer has to be moved, the venting has to be re-done, and all the gas lines have to be re-routed...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 01:43 pm
RP--

Do you miss your set of Lincoln Logs? The basic joys of basic Lego?

Changing the subject, do you intend to haunt the repairmen and the workmen and divert them with cheerful conversation? Real House Husbands often suffer from chronic Cabin Fever.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 03:49 pm
no, i avoided them like the plague -- and i'm sure they appreciated it Smile
the new toy is installed and is heating the water splendidly...
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 04:49 pm
hot water is good.

Thankfully my Father in Law is my repair man. He knows how to do nearly everything and loves passing that info on to a willing student. Cheerful conversation is a small price to pay for me.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 04:57 pm
Mr. Noddy--like many retired men--adores being a sidewalk superintendent in the privacy of his own home.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 12:51 pm
Air has been out for over a week. Electrical repair not covered under home owners insurance. 375.00 to fix. Sad
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 03:47 pm
money well spent...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 10:16 pm
Hmm I wonder if there is a joys of car ownership topic. If not, I'll make one, hang on.
0 Replies