Planning on medicine and/or medical research

Levi

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 09:47 pm
I've always been interested in medicine, especially since my father's leukemia diagnosis. However, more than practicing, I'm interested in doing research in things such as tissue engineering and cancer treatments. I'm open to becoming an M.D. in a particular field, maybe oncology, but research is where my interests weighs in the most. Would my first choice for employment have to be a university?

I know there are some companies and corporations devoted to medicine, such as Geron Corp., where tissue engineering developed, but what credentials would I need to have to be employed in such an institution? Would I even need medical school for doing research, given that my undergraduate degrees will be in biology and chemistry?

Thanks for any help or thoughts.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 677 • Replies: 1
No top replies

lab rat

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 07:31 am
There are some hospitals with active research programs; for example, some significant tissue engineering and polymer scaffolding research has been done through a collaboration between Bob Langer (MIT professor) and Jay Vicante, a surgeon at the Children's Hospital in Boston. Apart from the Children's Hospital, I am aware of research efforts at MCO in Ohio and the Yale-New Haven hospital in Connecticut--I would expect that hospital-based research programs aren't that unusual.
To gain employment at a research institution such as Gencorp, a bachelor's degree is sufficient provided you're content with starting as a technician. That is, provided you're interested in doing the actual lab work but don't mind if someone else is steering the research and making the major decisions. If you want to actually control projects and plan your own research, you'll probably need a more advanced degree (although a bachelor's + years of experience may also suffice). If your focus is industry (Gencorp/etc. as opposed to a hospital), a Ph.D. in biology, biochemistry, etc. would be just as good as medical school / a M.D.
0 Replies