Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 09:23 am
My husband is sort of upset with me because he thinks I ruined a perfectly good bottle of wine in our move. We had this bottle of white wine in the fridge and when we moved, I brought it to our new place but failed to put it back into the fridge. It got warm of course and now he says I might as well throw it away because it has now ruined the wine. I've heard of this with beer but never wine. Anyone know if chilling, bringing to room temperature and then re-chilling ruins a white wine? Question
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,665 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Francis

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 09:54 am
Most wines can endure sudden temperature changes. Meanwhile, some take time to get their original taste after such a change. Even though white wines must preferably be drinken at low temperatures (10 C°-12C°), fridge temperature is usually too low even for conservation.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 10:06 am
So, what does that mean?
0 Replies

syntinen

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 11:17 am
It means that unless a wine is particularly delicate it can probably survive being chilled down and then allowed to get back to room temperature without being noticeably the worse for it. On the other hand, fridge temperature is too cold to keep wine in for long periods, so if you had actually been keeping the bottle stored in the fridge for more than a few days, the cold may well have killed the wine anyway.

Anyway, the only way to to know for sure is to open it up and try! Don't just throw it away without trying it, for heaven's sake!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 11:34 am
syntinen wrote:
It means that unless a wine is particularly delicate it can probably survive being chilled down and then allowed to get back to room temperature without being noticeably the worse for it. On the other hand, fridge temperature is too cold to keep wine in for long periods, so if you had actually been keeping the bottle stored in the fridge for more than a few days, the cold may well have killed the wine anyway.

Anyway, the only way to to know for sure is to open it up and try! Don't just throw it away without trying it, for heaven's sake!

Oh, ok. Well, it was in there for about 2 weeks....intended dinner that went awry....

Well, I guess it's open it and try it! Although, I've never had this particular wine before so I don't know what "bad" tastes like.
0 Replies

syntinen

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 03:36 pm
Keeping it over-chilled won't make it go "bad" as in actively noxious, but it can eventually kill the flavour and bouquet and make it taste flat and dreary. But if it was only a couple of weeks and it wasn't a delicate wine to start with - say a good hefty Chardonnay or Viognier -there's a good chance it's still live and kicking.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 01:59 am
I had a boyfriend who claimed that about beer -- but unless it was actually brought to desert temperatures (over 100 degrees F) and then chilled again I could never tell the difference. Go ahead and try the wine. See what you think -- if your husband is so worried, have another bottle on hand and do a taste comparison; the cost of having two bottles open might be less than the cost of arguing the point for the rest of your lives! Smile
0 Replies