Linkat

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 08:58 am
My daughter is going to attend some days at a camp where they need a disposable lunch. That means that her lunch would not be kept cold with a cold pack and/or insulated lunch bag as I typically use. Any suggestions on lunches I could pack for her that would not need to be kept cool? The only thing I can think of is peanut butter sandwiches. Any other ideas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,636 • Replies: 10
No top replies

material girl

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 09:03 am
Fruit/tinned fruit in tins for kids that come with spoons.Healthy crisps.A carton of drink with straw.Jelly pots.dried fruit/raisons/sultanas in little boxes.chocolate/biscuit bar.nuts.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 01:55 am
Ooh, ooh, I know. Freeze Capri Sun drinks and use them for ice packs -- by lunchtime, they will have thawed, and in the meantime, kept the rest of the lunch cool.

Also, Cheez-n-crackers in little packs, with a spreader for the cheese. And some single-serve puddings don't need to be refrigerated. Fruits and veggies, of course.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 06:35 am
Those single serving puddings don't need to be kept cool? I always see them in the refridge section - maybe there are some other kinds. I thought of freezing those juice pouches, but do they burst in the freezer?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 07:15 am
There are some pudding snacks that are in the regular aisles. I'm not sure why those don't need to refrigerated, but they appear not to.

I'm drawing a blank on substantive food that doesn't need refrigeration. Snacks are easy, but for an actual meal, I can't seem to get past the peanut butter sandwich. Somebody mentioned fruit -- you could pack her an apple and a little container of peanut butter for dipping.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 11:51 am
I've been freezing tetra packs of juice ever since they came on the market. They've never burst. They're great for keeping things cool. Almost any kind of sandwich that doesn't have eggs/chicken/mayo will be fine next to a frozen tetra pack.

Are nut products allowed at that camp?

A lot of puddings/apple sauce/jello single serving things don't need refrigeration.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 12:08 pm
No mention of not allowing peanut products.

The mayo thing is tough as my daughter loves to have mayo on her sandwiches. Although I hate those processed snacks I wonder how the lunchables would do. My daughter (of course) would love that and since it will be only a handful of days - where this camp is having field trips and require a disposable lunch I suppose I could allow a lunchable to slip in.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 12:15 pm
Peanut butter sandwiches can be better than you think, if you put them on the right kind of roll.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 12:25 pm
My daughter does like peanut butter sandwiches and I don't have a problem giving it to her, but then I would have to give it to her 3 days in one week - that I would rather not want to do.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 12:36 pm
Give her MRE's.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 02:15 pm
Now, that's just abusive, cjhsa.
0 Replies