Is it possible to draw digitally without tracing over an image?

Phay20

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2019 07:47 am
What I currently do is draw on paper first and use image reference. Then after I've finished the drawing on paper, I take a picture of it and trace over it on my phone. These drawings are drawn by me in my art style which is then recreated digitally by tracing over them by phone.

I'm unsure about if it's possible to draw without tracing over my drawings on paper. I don't have much experience with digital art which I'm willing to move onto in the future, so it would be helpful to have an idea about how popular artists do drawings digitally so that I can decide to stick to the method I've been doing or to find ways to draw in my own style digitally without tracing over my hand drawn art if it's possible.

maxdancona

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2019 08:00 am
@Phay20,
I am not sure I understand the question...

We bought a graphics tablet for my daughter for about a hundred bucks. It comes with a pressure sensitive pen (the harder you push down, the darker the line). There are much more expensive versions... I am pretty sure that professional artists and graphic designers use these.

My daughter was able to do very nice drawings.

Later my son got one of those combination tablets/laptops (you can detach the keyboard and just use the touch screen as a tablet). This also came with a pressure sensitive pen which he also used for drawing.

I would go to Best Buy and try out the graphics tablets. See if you like them.
Phay20

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2019 06:52 am
@maxdancona,
I'm looking for a simple yes or no answer. I'm quite happy with my digital drawings. I ask because that's how I think all digital art is done, by tracing over. If it helps, I'll ask another question. Are there artists who don't trace over their drawings when they draw digitally?
neptuneblue

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2019 07:05 am
@Phay20,
It depends.

When you scan your sketch, the purpose would be to enhance the re-created image. Using a tablet for freehand drawings is usually what is done.

So you can do both, trace over your drawing or start a new one.

Are you on DeviantArt?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2019 08:28 am
@Phay20,
Yes
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2019 09:02 am
Grid it and plot it.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2019 07:02 am
@Phay20,
Phay20 wrote:

I ask because that's how I think all digital art is done, by tracing over.

That's a super super bizarre assumption. Many digital artists draw their works straight onto the drawing tablet. 100% done without tracing. Just skip the pen to paper method altogether. You just can't use a silly small screen smartphone as there isn't enough screen space to work on.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2019 11:59 am
@Phay20,
Some animators are skilled enough to make drawings freehand and directly on a stylus pad and animate them in Flash. I'm not sure if tracing is involved. I know someone who makes Flash cartoons and showcases them in videos on YouTube. I'll ask him and find out for you.

I'd like to know this too.
0 Replies