Urgent schoolwork help needed!

Wed 7 Aug, 2019 01:00 pm
I was assigned an autobiography for school, around 300–450 words long. It’s due tomorow and although I’ve been working on it for a while I’m unsatisfied. I don’t want to write a typical autobiography because i feel that that’s just boring now. Does someone have any ideas on how to put a twist on this to make it interesting? Does someone have any interesting, out of the box ideas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 1,702 • Replies: 10
Topic Closed
No top replies

roger

Wed 7 Aug, 2019 01:11 pm
@viviryki,
I had to do that once. My first line was "I was born at a very early age." It went over pretty well.
viviryki

Wed 7 Aug, 2019 01:15 pm
@roger,
Haha I like that. But my teacher will most probably not appreciate it, especially since she told me that this has to be one of my best bits of writing since I'm considered one of the better writers in class.
farmerman

Wed 7 Aug, 2019 01:21 pm
@viviryki,
try writing it as a real "auto" biography. Make believe your dads car that he had throughout your childhood was writing the story.
OH the things it could tell, hauling your mom through downtown traffic to get you all born. You can tell a lifes story through a car that experienced you.
Sturgis

Wed 7 Aug, 2019 01:22 pm
@viviryki,
It's rather difficult to provide a suitable answer, seeing as how, you have not indicatedwhat you have thus far.
0 Replies

viviryki

Wed 7 Aug, 2019 03:04 pm
@farmerman,
Wow. I like that. That's how I'll do it. Thank you so much.
0 Replies

Linkat

Wed 7 Aug, 2019 03:53 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

try writing it as a real "auto" biography. Make believe your dads car that he had throughout your childhood was writing the story.
OH the things it could tell, hauling your mom through downtown traffic to get you all born. You can tell a lifes story through a car that experienced you.

I love that one - if my daughter ever has to use this one can I steal it?

It is appropriate it as the car we had when she was born - she had driven it once she got her licence. The car is the same age as she is - we got just about when she was born and then she drove it. We are just now going to put it out to "pasture" as to repair it now we just found out will cost more than it is worth.
farmerman

Wed 7 Aug, 2019 04:11 pm
@Linkat,
It isnt mine,I got it from Elmore Leonard,and , if one does it well,
he said that the reader doesnt even notice much thats different in the narrative. Many of these writers have put together their own books about the craft of writing. Leonard, Asimov, Steinbeck (a short work), Stephen King etc etc. The really greqt ones dont slam it up your nose, they just give examples of how they get their prose going and sustained.
Stephen King ven wrote about all the twists an turns of a book that he just bumps into while hes trying to get to his pre writtn ending.

Once and a while I got compliments for my writing of my geologic reports. I made a story out of a lithium claim in Chile,. The client who was responsible for most of the money, said he liked it so much he took it with him when he went to the Loo and read it on the throne. Now I dont know bout you, but I consider that high praise.

Linkat

Thu 8 Aug, 2019 07:04 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Once and a while I got compliments for my writing of my geologic reports. I made a story out of a lithium claim in Chile,. The client who was responsible for most of the money, said he liked it so much he took it with him when he went to the Loo and read it on the throne. Now I dont know bout you, but I consider that high praise.

That has to be the highest praise!

I think things like this helps with the personal statement for college and things like scholarship essays. Can you imagine being in the position to read all these college personal essays?

All this bragging about how you overcame some big hurtle? The other day my teen daughter proudly said how she overcame working with food. She is really sensitive to food smells (hates ketchup and pickles for example) - she was training at work at making sandwiches and was very proud that she was able to hold her breathe and put the pickle with the sandwich.

My thought -- that would make a great personal statement for college - it certainly would stand out and show your sense of humor. However, I am not really sure how it would be received - whether the school would appreciate it or think this kid doesn't really value the personal statement.
farmerman

Thu 8 Aug, 2019 08:08 am
@Linkat,
Ive been suckered in to read college essys. There are many reviewers who seek out CREATIVITY over absolute fact. In the engineering trades , it can give clues about ones sense to problem solving.
Course we were always given rules to follow and these usually came from the ENGLISH DEPT. (I figure tht , with a library card I could have learnt everything I needed. Now its a smart phone).

I hope I didnt sound like Im bragging overcoming hurdles. In the sciences we live for the hurdles. Thats where the fun is.
Linkat

Thu 8 Aug, 2019 09:48 am
@farmerman,
I suppose to - you could start your essay with something fun/funny like her dealing with pickles and then transition it into something a bit more "meaty.

My older daughter did hers like a story - trying to grab the attention - the thing is now though the high school as part of their senior year english school work - reviews their personal essays.

I know one girl who did a video instead - it was her solving all these various rubic cubes - she had the basic through very complicated ones and could solve them in seconds - she was (I am sure still is) a very bright person - a bit crazy in an eccentric way- really sweet and fun but very smart mathematically - I think she went to an Ivy school if I remember correctly. And a good softball catcher.

But back to the homework assignment - how did the paper go?
0 Replies