Chirac and Schroeder just got mugged by reality

rayban1

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 10:51 pm
It would appear that Schroeder may go soon(speculation is that the early election which he called may cause defeat) and Chirac may not be far behind now that his electorate has handed him a crushing defeat by voting NO to the EU constitution.

Good riddance.......as the old worn out cliche goes......don't let the door hit you in the __________

Very Happy

Of course they will both blame Blair and Bush.....both of whom should be very glad to take the blame Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 4,304 • Replies: 72
No top replies

Lash

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 11:04 pm
I know Bush laughed his ass off.

As did I.

Suck it, Jaquey!
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 11:06 pm
Lash wrote:
I know Bush laughed his ass off.

As did I.

Suck it, Jaquey!

Doesn't sound like you like the guy.....
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 11:10 pm
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 11:15 pm
One of my English profs in college once noted that when people get old, they have increasingly difficult times with a number of the seven deadly sins like lust and gluttony and what not, and that the one sort of sin whichpeople sometimes get better at as they get older is AVERICE (the love of money).

It sounds kind of like old Jock got to worrying too much about all the oil4food dollars and what not and his attention to this EU constitution sort of suffered.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 11:28 pm
He's l'tired.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 11:30 pm
(in my best french accent) pfft!

They voted against the constitution, not chirac, neccessarily. It may bode badly for chirac, it may be to prove a point, but geezus, you guys are out for blood.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 11:36 pm
Razz Saddam's butt buddy.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 12:01 am
Can I just say, "eeeww"? Ok. EEEWW!
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 12:20 am
"mugged by reality"

http://img179.echo.cx/img179/1605/chirac1lx.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 12:36 am
littlek wrote:

They voted against the constitution, not chirac, neccessarily. It may bode badly for chirac, it may be to prove a point, but geezus, you guys are out for blood.

All anylysises say that most of the French indeed voted against their conservative government and president.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 12:49 am
Re: Chirac and Schroeder just got mugged by reality
rayban1 wrote:
Of course they will both blame Blair and Bush.....both of whom should be very glad to take the blame Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Any reason why you think so - or is this just because you know nothing about the German and French political situation?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 04:39 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
littlek wrote:

All anylysises say that most of the French indeed voted against their conservative government and president.

Taking money from Saddam Hussein is gangsterism. I don't have any more sympathy for rightwing gangsters like Chirac than for leftwing gangsters like Slick KKKlinton, and the French people don't seem to either.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 05:32 am
gungasnake wrote:
One of my English profs in college once noted that when people get old, they have increasingly difficult times with a number of the seven deadly sins like lust and gluttony and what not, and that the one sort of sin whichpeople sometimes get better at as they get older is AVERICE (the love of money).

It sounds kind of like old Jock got to worrying too much about all the oil4food dollars and what not and his attention to this EU constitution sort of suffered.

It appears that you probably did as well in History as you did in English. What year was it that you flunked out, Gunga? I always thought that university was meant to give one an appreciation for critical thinking and the facts.

Has there been any contention by anyone that Chirac knew of and participated in illegal actions wrt the oil4food program? Are you making such allegations, Gunga?

Quote:

US 'backed illegal Iraqi oil deals'

Report claims blind eye was turned to sanctions busting by American firms

Julian Borger and Jamie Wilson in Washington
Tuesday May 17, 2005
The Guardian

The United States administration turned a blind eye to extensive sanctions-busting in the prewar sale of Iraqi oil, according to a new Senate investigation.[/color]

A report released last night by Democratic staff on a Senate investigations committee presents documentary evidence that the Bush administration was made aware of illegal oil sales and kickbacks paid to the Saddam Hussein regime but did nothing to stop them.

The scale of the shipments involved dwarfs those previously alleged by the Senate committee against UN staff and European politicians like the British MP, George Galloway, and the former French minister, Charles Pasqua.

In fact, the Senate report found that US oil purchases accounted for 52% of the kickbacks paid to the regime in return for sales of cheap oil - more than the rest of the world put together.

"The United States was not only aware of Iraqi oil sales which violated UN sanctions and provided the bulk of the illicit money Saddam Hussein obtained from circumventing UN sanctions," the report said. "On occasion, the United States actually facilitated the illicit oil sales.

Yesterday's report makes two principal allegations against the Bush administration. Firstly, it found the US treasury failed to take action against a Texas oil company, Bayoil, which facilitated payment of "at least $37m in illegal surcharges to the Hussein regime".

The surcharges were a violation of the UN Oil For Food programme, by which Iraq was allowed to sell heavily discounted oil to raise money for food and humanitarian supplies. However, Saddam was allowed to choose which companies were given the highly lucrative oil contracts. Between September 2000 and September 2002 (when the practice was stopped) the regime demanded kickbacks of 10 to 30 US cents a barrel in return for oil allocations.

In its second main finding, the report said the US military and the state department gave a tacit green light for shipments of nearly 8m barrels of oil bought by Jordan, a vital American ally, entirely outside the UN-monitored Oil For Food system. Jordan was permitted to buy some oil directly under strict conditions but these purchases appeared to be under the counter.

The report details a series of efforts by UN monitors to obtain information about Bayoil's oil shipments in 2001 and 2002, and the lack of help provided by the US treasury.

After repeated requests over eight months from the UN and the US state department, the treasury's office of foreign as sets control wrote to Bayoil in May 2002, requesting a report on its transactions but did not "request specific information by UN or direct Bayoil to answer the UN's questions".

Bayoil's owner, David Chalmers, has been charged over the company's activities. His lawyer Catherine Recker told the Washington Post: "Bayoil and David Chalmers [said] they have done nothing illegal and will vigorously defend these reckless accusations."

The Jordanian oil purchases were shipped in the weeks before the war, out of the Iraqi port of Khor al-Amaya, which was operating without UN approval or surveillance.

Investigators found correspondence showing that Odin Marine Inc, the US company chartering the seven huge tankers which picked up the oil at Khor al-Amaya, repeatedly sought and received approval from US military and civilian officials that the ships would not be confiscated by US Navy vessels in the Maritime Interdiction Force (MIF) enforcing the embargo.

Odin was reassured by a state department official that the US "was aware of the shipments and has determined not to take action".

The company's vice president, David Young, told investigators that a US naval officer at MIF told him that he "had no objections" to the shipments. "He said that he was sorry he could not say anything more. I told him I completely understood and did not expect him to say anything more," Mr Young said.

An executive at Odin Maritime confirmed the senate account of the oil shipments as "correct" but declined to comment further.

It was not clear last night whether the Democratic report would be accepted by Republicans on the Senate investigations committee.

The Pentagon declined to comment. The US representative's office at the UN referred inquiries to the state department, which fail to return calls.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 05:57 am
gungasnake wrote:

Taking money from Saddam Hussein is gangsterism. I don't have any more sympathy for rightwing gangsters like Chirac than for leftwing gangsters like Slick KKKlinton, and the French people don't seem to either.

Any facts or even rumours when Schröder took money?

Any facts when Chirac did so?

Well, the French people decided (via yesterday's referendum) that they didn't want a conservative government and a conservative president: so politics will change to the left again in France, I suppose.

When you would read, gunga, and when you would read International News, than you would know that Chirac is conservative, and the right wings are called e.g. Le Penn et De Villiers.
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 06:53 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
rayban1 wrote:

Any reason why you think so - or is this just because you know nothing about the German and French political situation?

It could be argued that I know very little about a situation that is unknowable but it could be argued that you as an international political Junkie, know very little about the American political scene but that never seems to enter your mind.........you just keep trying.......and trying ..........and. My god you're arrogant Walter
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 07:09 am
rayban1 wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
rayban1 wrote:

It could be argued that I know very little about a situation that is unknowable but it could be argued that you as an international political Junkie, know very little about the American political scene but that never seems to enter your mind.........you just keep trying.......and trying ..........and.

Therein lies the distinction between you and Walter [or any other intelligent being], Rayban the tangent man. He keeps trying and trying and trying. That's what curious people do.

You, you're completely satisfied with your own narrow, smug viewpoint; no facts get in your way, nosireebob.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 09:16 am
http://www.washingtontimes.com/world/20050511-115405-2031r.htm

Quote:

A longtime ally of French President Jacques Chirac and a leading British critic of the Iraq war received huge contracts to resell Iraqi oil from Saddam Hussein under the U.N. oil-for-food program, Senate investigators have found.

In findings being released today, the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs permanent subcommittee on investigations charges that former French Interior Minister Charles Pasqua and British Member of Parliament George Galloway each received the right to market more than 10 million barrels of cut-rate oil from dictator Saddam's Oil Ministry between 1999 and 2003.

Now, under such circumstances, when a guy like Jacques Chirac is sitting there basing political decisions and the foreign policy of France on this sort of thing, then there is no difference between that and him hauling the thirty pieces of silver or whatever off in a bag over his shoulder in the dead of night himself personally. Anybody who thinks Chirac was not profitting from this activity is living in never-never land.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 09:20 am
Problem is--as disgusting as Chirac is--isn't the right there racist? Vehemently anti-immigrant, anti-Muslim and anti-Semitic?

Do you have a viable alternative there?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 09:32 am
Could it be that the share the wealth aspect of the EU is unappetizing to the people of the wealthier nations of Europe?
0 Replies