SEXUAL EXISTENTIAL PHILOSOPHY / SEXISTENTIALISM?

spendius

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 03:32 am
djbt:-

One only needs to take a fleeting glimpse of EM's posts on the "What is pain?" to be made aware that EM's approach to the matters here will be a very long way from those of the Vienna-based master you mention who hardly even scratched the surface the Hawaiian maestro has painted.As for dear Simone-the less said about her the better.

It's no go the Yogi man
It's no go Blavatsky
All we want is a bank balance
And a bit of skirt in a taxi.
0 Replies

moondoggy

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 04:06 am
EM, infrablue hit the nail on the head - Foucault, though not considered an existentialist (more a postmodern philospher though that would have made no sense in his heyday), was inspired by Nietzsche and responded directly to Sartre and Merleau-Ponty (see Foucault Live: Interviews 1966-84). His History of Sexuality part 1 (the prime text of his genealogy of power relations phase) is right up your alley(parts 2 & 3, "The Use of Pleasure" and "The Care of the Self", deviate more into his ethics phase).

Foucault would be perfect for existentialism as he saw power as circulating - he was an avid anti Freudian/Marxist/structuralist

de Beauvoir is strictly feminism and probably of little use

Sexistentialism, hmmm, sounds like a thesis just waiting to be writen
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 06:31 am
I quote EM:-

Quote:
Of course I don't want to re-invent the wheel.

That may be so your highness but you might re-invent the circumstances that led to the invention of the wheel.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 02:48 pm
EM-when you get here:-

I forgot to mention the little green eyed monster to the north of Katmandu.

Sorry folks.EM will like it and it is his thread.With his recent threading fresh in his mind he'll get it.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 03:04 pm
God Spendius you are good. It both delights me and pains me that there seems to be another brain out there within 100 Megahertz of my wavelength:

Let us assume posters have in their back pocket at least cursory understandings of areas such as Nietzsche, Schopenhauer, Tantric Buddhism, Hinduism, Stoicism, The Many Schools of Existentialism, Hedonism, Classical Greek Sex Religions, The Ironic Blood of the Sinner Next to Jesus on the Cross Who Is Now At the Right Hand, Egyptian Sun Gods, etc., etc. Freud--Let him occupy his own dreams for awhile--he had some insights, but I find only probably 20% (exactly) of his stuff actually valid....

I added this qualifying statement to my original post on this thread. I have ambivalent feelings about it. On the one hand I really don't want to be elitist.

Perhaps sometimes the learner steeped in his Nietzche, for example, can learn something valuable from an undeducated crass punk rocker....for example.

We hunger for a new rebel philosopher. Sort of the punk rocker of philosophy for the 21st Century.

So let us rock, smartly
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 03:09 pm
Lennon was working on it EM-

Mark Chapman wasted him. Did you never wonder why?
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 03:12 pm
spendius wrote:
I quote EM:-

Quote:
Of course I don't want to re-invent the wheel.

That may be so your highness but you might re-invent the circumstances that led to the invention of the wheel.

Thank you, Sir. For helping me see it in a new light.

And I want you to know that this thread was partially inspired by your two classic Threads:

"How do I stir up the Cambridge Philosophy budget scoffers?"
&
"Is debate possible between ignoramuses?How is it possible"

Especially the first one above. What better to stir up Cambridge than a Sexistentialism, a new thin book buried in the stacks on the 5th floor of the Library, which garners remarkable disdain & approval? Or if not a thin book, perhaps it could be a short Felliniesque video or some such.

Seriously: I hope the fallout of this thread gives you some fuel to stir up Cambridge, as it were. If nothing else, we can do that.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 03:18 pm
Mathos wrote:
Lennon was working on it EM-

Mark Chapman wasted him. Did you never wonder why?

Point, Mathos.

We don't crucify rebel spiritual leaders these days, we assassinate them for the most part (some are crucified in the media)--but most are assassinated:

John Lennon, Gandhi, Martin Luther King...

Why you ask? I think its something in the human pysche. We like to kill the savior.

Why do you think Chapman killed him? Fear of a breakthrough?
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 04:16 pm
spendius wrote:
EM-when you get here:-

I forgot to mention the little green eyed monster to the north of Katmandu.

Sorry folks.EM will like it and it is his thread.With his recent threading fresh in his mind he'll get it.

Yes. We must keep a healthy dose of the green one shackled in Katmandu, and woven into this tapestry. Do I say too much when I communicate trust that we'll hear from the green one?
0 Replies

tcis

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 05:01 pm
bookmarking...
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 05:01 pm
E, sorry for the misunderstanding. I thought I read somewhere that you were doing this for a class or project. Perhaps I have mixed you up with someone else. I apologize if that is the case. I also regret that you feel I am "dogging you". If I ever feel a need to post on one of your threads in the future, I promise to make every effort to craft my words in a more uplifting manner.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 05:03 pm
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 05:05 pm
She being the right eye, I being the left eye.

Only together, with both eyes was our existential depth perception really actually accurate. Yin-yang as it were.

How can one hope to see it at all with one necessarily unbalanced eye, however much some may flatter that one eye?
0 Replies

tcis

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 05:11 pm
Excellent thread, EM.

I look forward to hearing from our resident heavyweights on this topic.

Ignore the Haters, and emerge forward, EM.

The ironic thing is we can put this thread into existence, as it were.

I can attest certain sex-psych experiences smashed my perceptions and respect for many schools of philosophy.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 05:18 pm
EM:-

A fast flick.

"Cursory" is crass hyperbole.

"20%) similarly but with exaggerated overemphasis.

I agree on "elitist".It looks hard work.

The UCPR is presumably female.Suzie Quarto say,or Debbie.

Chapman is in incident of minor importance.Except possibly for lawyers and medicorps executives.

And Fellini.What can I say.That Amarcord eh?Did you ever laugh as much in your entire life.You could be sat in a bus shelter in the pissing rain waiting for the mechanic from the saviour industry to fix the fan belt on the E Type and any one of a number of Fellini scenes can suddenly invade your consciousness and everybody thinks your nuts.Which is alright by me generally anyway.Sane looks really dreary.

If there was any institutional problem relating to assassination I rather feel Norman Mailer would be long gone.His valued presence is a lesson to us all.
He dared and fug all happened.

Lash,a threader on the Clock's Stopped channel,has floated the idea of an award system on A2K and is calling for suggestions for categories and nominations.If you were to receive the Richard,Oscar has become trite recently,in the category of MOST WISDOM FAST for your PSYCHOTIC FITS WIN RESPECT skimmer,and I was to nominate you for that,would you accept the award in a dignified manner and not compromise the ceremony by trying to gain even more respect
and thus causing me to regret my impulsive action.

What's the time there?
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 05:20 pm
Yes. Fellini had it. I don't know that anyone has come close to taking up what he was doing...
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 05:25 pm
gb:-

Uplifting is very popular on here.You can't go wrong with that.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 05:33 pm
E.M.

Have aetheists redifined science to get rid of God yet?I don't follow the news too closely and I wondered if they had come to a resolution.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 05:44 pm
Ping-pong-pung-It is 1.44 hrs HST.

But you own Greenwich.

What is The Right Time?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 05:47 pm
E.M.

Just before,and it's an existential moment,the nipsy clinches in fast tango time.
0 Replies