SEXUAL EXISTENTIAL PHILOSOPHY / SEXISTENTIALISM?

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 07:28 pm
Is anyone aware of any significant work, books, or writers in the area of what might be described as Sex-Based Existentialism?

I know. Its taboo. Its stupid. Its probably not intellectual. How could one actually study this. But please bear with me for a moment.

I've been having some moments of extreme clarity which indicate there are a number of pieces of a puzzle of a framework that seem to fit very naturally and precisely into a school that might be titled Sex-Based Existentialism.

When I say "sex existentialism" here, by sex I am referring to how sex forms the basis for so much of our existence, the sex instinct being close behind the survival instinct, sexual desire, your sexual desire creating who you are in ways you may not even be aware of, the unspoken Hunger for Sex that is silently ever present in our soceity and interaction with others...

Sort of how sex forms a basis for much more of our existence than some of care to admit.

I'm interested in exploring this area more and perhaps even work on developing the idea, if it hasn't been done.

But I think considerable work might have done in this area already. Of course I don't want to re-invent the wheel.

Does anyone know if there are any significant schools of thought or thinkers or writers who have completed significantly developed work in the area of something closely resembling a Sex-Based Existentialism?

____

Clarification Statement:I do like to jest on these boards at times, and some have said sometimes I am too often tongue far in cheek, but I want to say now, I am being fairly serious in this particular post. Some will see this title and probably think something like: "oh yeah, here we go talking some sex crap again." That is fun too, but this is more serious. I've been having these sorts of flashes of insight recently that sex impacts and informs the human psyche, and is much more a basis for everything else,
than most of us care to admit. Of course I am not the first to think this. But do know I have completed at least introductory studies in each of the following schools prior to asking the question above. I did not find a breed of Sex-Based Existentialism in any of these schools I've studied:
Analytic Philosophy, Atomism, Behaviorism, Cartesianism, Epicureanism, Various Schools of Existentialism, Frankfurt School, Hellenism, Humanism, Idealism, Logical Positivism,, Materialism, Naturalism, Platonism, Positivism, Pragmatism, Rationalism, Solipsism, Structuralism, Utilitarianism.

Let us also assume posters have in their back pocket at least cursory understandings of areas such as Nietzsche, Schopenhauer, Tantric Buddhism, Hinduism, Stoicism, The Many Schools of Existentialism, Hedonism, Classical Greek Sex Religions, The Ironic Blood of the Sinner on the Cross Next to Jesus on the Cross Who Is Now At the Right Hand of a God, Egyptian Sun Gods, Modernism & Post-Modernism, etc., etc. Freud--Let him occupy his own dreams for awhile--he had some insights, but I find only probably 20% (exactly) of his stuff actually valid....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,866 • Replies: 79
No top replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 07:31 pm
Dear E, I would love to contribute to this, however, it strikes me that anything I might add to the discussion could be dismissed as sexist. I'm afraid if I get my feelings hurt once more, I would cry myself to sleep.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 07:38 pm
Are you talking about sex as in gender, or sex as in sexual intercourse?
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 07:39 pm
Hi GB. Nice.

Well please do contribute what you feel like. If one or both of us gets our feelings hurt a bit, perhaps its for the better in the long run and we will both learn from it...

No hard feelings...Its great to get your thoughts out there... :wink:
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 07:41 pm
InfraBlue wrote:
Are you talking about sex as in gender, or sex as in sexual intercourse?

Thank you Infra.

I was talking about sexual desire, sex & society, sex & the human condition, you know, how some argue our instinct for sex is the next thing to the survival instinct.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 07:54 pm
Well one thought I have is what I'm speaking of might simply be found in a blend of:

Biology & Existentialism, of all things.

Science informs us that it is fairly straightforward to build a case that the purpose of our bodies is to grow to adulthood, mate (sex), reproduce, raise the replicas, then die. Thats it.

Thus, of course much of our existence revolves around sex.

Biological Existentialism.

Thats getting close.

But not quite it. I'm thinking of a Biological Existentialism that has a healthy dose of something not scientific at all in it. This something You have to supply. This is your

Indivdual approach to Sex, how You define It, what You make It. Its only suppliable by you.

With science alone, we are living bodies.

As a Biological Sexual Existentialist, you become who you choose, broadly under the umbrella disciplines of Science, Sex, and Existentialism.

The Biological Sexual Existentialist School.

Has this school been done?

I think there's something there. For the 21st Century.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 08:09 pm
Thanks E, nice to see you so agreeable. I'm afraid however that I don't have a good feeling about your ability to absorb slice of life or other insights in an academic fashion. Good luck with your class, and as much as I wold like to help (honestly) I think your reaction to my remarks in the other thread are a clear demonstration that this is not something I really want to devote quality time to and then get labeled a sexist for sanctimonously noticing that men and women react differently in some situations. This has nothing to do with either sexes intellectual capacity but I doubt that you can hear this from me. While I was at the mall, I bought a new sense of humor, sadly I could only afford one and will be unable to share with you. So hopefully you will take my word that I really didn't get my feelings hurt, it was just a remark I made to further norish your need to feel that I am pompous. Frankly, hurting your feelings helps me exactly how? I can't take it to the bank so it's a lose-lose situation. I hope you will get a lot of help on the forum with your school project.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 08:16 pm
Try some of Michel Foucault's writings on the history of sexuality.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 08:27 pm
Can we just cut to the chase here and call it sexistentialism ?

You knew it was coming.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 08:34 pm
GB,

I just tried to honestly apologize to you--even though I did nothing to you--and you just continue on your rant? Why is this? Gosh.

I have never addressed you in this forum, until you started dogging me.

I never address you first.

It is always you, following me around, posting negative things.

The only time I have addressed you is to defend myself (rightly so) from your repeated attacks.

Why do you even feel the need to post such negative garbage? Why do you need to come on this thread and post negative things?

This is not for a class. I already have my Doctorate, since you brought it up. Done with the classes, thank you.

I do not know why you are stalking me, posting negative things everywhere. Must have touched a nerve.

I would greatly appreciate it if you would stop stalking me and posting negative irrelevant hurtful words, when I have clearly stated above I am making an earnest appeal for good information in this thread.

Why do you need to get on here and say: "Hi, I am just here to post that I don't want to post here."??? Good grief.

____

Anyway, everyone--I apologize for this.
_____

Does anyone know if significant work has been done in an area related to what might be termed Sexual Existentialism?

Thank you. Very Happy
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 08:37 pm
Infrablue,

Thanks, I will check that out.

______

LionTamerX,

LOL! You said it, not me! Be careful now, you may get some stalkers if you keep it up! :wink:
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 08:38 pm
Don't hate me because I'm beautiful... There are lot's of other perfectly good reasons.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 08:44 pm
LionTamerX wrote:
Don't hate me because I'm beautiful... There are lot's of other perfectly good reasons.

I know. I kind of have a dislike for you, because I think you might be male? How's that for choosing a different reason to hate you? The fact that you are a beautiful male just makes me hate you more. Your only endearing quality is you admitted that some of those wild lions got away untamed...and for that I will always respect your honesty--:wink:
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 08:45 pm
Quote:
Does anyone know if significant work has been done in an area related to what might be termed Sexual Existentialism?

Perhaps Simone de Beauvoir "Second Sex" would be a
choice.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 08:49 pm
Thanks CJ!

Well, it looks like I have my weekend reading cut out for me...
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 09:01 pm
extra medium wrote:
LionTamerX wrote:

I know. I kind of have a dislike for you, because I think you might be male? How's that for choosing a different reason to hate you? The fact that you are a beautiful male just makes me hate you more. Your only endearing quality is you admitted that some of those wild lions got away untamed...and for that I will always respect your honesty--:wink:

I am in fact male. Also very happily married. I pose no threat to you, but hope to live vicariously through your adventures.

I do look FABULOUS in red leather pants however, and will strut my stuff accordingly.

Forewarned is forearmed.
0 Replies

djbt

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 01:03 am
Interesting topic, EM, I'm inclined to agree with you here.

To help me clarify your position, in what ways is your approach to sex different to, say, Freud's?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 02:58 am
E.M.

Ding,dang,deng,dong,dung.At the 5th stroke it was 09.53 hrs GMT but according to a fresh hatcher last night,whilst you were nocturnally rigid in your island paradise,the clock stopped.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 03:17 am
E.M.

Before we can get down into the nitty gritty of your new topic I think it might be necessary to clear the thread of amatwateurs,dilettpanties,nosey pokers and voyhairs of every stump.

There are far too many people who have come,or been led,to believe that philosophy is a foreplaything.Awctalley eet ees a werie seeweeus supject unt unsuited to hose off a sensualist dipsopission.A cool head is required and especially when the philosophy of the "thrust-----thrust-----thrust" screwel of thote such as smorgie who seems to have retired leaving my goodself with no other alternative than to bow and collect my winnings.

Thus I feel that you are at too early a stage for me to recommend any literature as there is a danger than a member,or worse more than one,of the above mentioned categories may rush off eagerly to obtain such material and end up with all their hair standing forth from their epidermis like the spikes on a hedgehog's back.

Perhaps Winnie The Pooh would be harmless.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 03:23 am
E.M.

Apologies for the inscrutable grammar in my central paragraph.I have only just emerged from the pit and my brain/body connections take a while to warm up.
0 Replies