Where is the best place to live in Europe?

ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 11:21 pm
hah, well. here's a map -

http://www.automobilemag.com/great_drives/0502_florence_stuttgart/
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 11:22 pm
and I gather I can google a map of germany italy in 1803...

hmmm, why is this not easy?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 11:26 pm
eh, don't answer that. I surmise one enters just the right thing on google.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 11:32 pm
hmnm, I just googled Stuttgart (which I still don't know quite where it is, re Germany as a whole) and Lucca, which I know well where it is -
and got a whole bunch of unhelpful sites re getting from here to there, even though my keyword was ROUTE.

Seems ordinary maps are more useful, or would be if I had one.

I have this idea that mapping is somewhat taken over, just like telephones... and that the takeovers obliterate clarity.

But, then, I don't know that for sure.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 12:24 am
I think, osso, you shoul start with a more general map about Europe, then go to the different countries on the dame site or others, likethis one, use routeplaners, like the one offered by CJ or similar, ... ... (Have fun!)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 12:31 am
The one cj mentioned may lead there but I in my cloud didn't get anywhere.

I'll look at your general link and see where it takes me.

I know mine is the near useless confusion of the newbie to an area of interest - but I am whining as I try to just look at a map, as in how hard can that be...

it is true here too. You can find maps around sites you click on for various reasons... but not so easily maps of clear cut areas. I have run into that closed sense several times before.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 12:40 am
OK, I am getting a sense of where Stuttgart is relative to Geneva. No map from there to Florence...

How do I get a friend from Stuttgart to Lucca or Firenze via this site (or any other), Walter?

I am sorry to be so stupid, but the sites don't seem to be set up for inter european travel. I suppose I am missing some clue.

Ah, my own instinct is to check train maps. So, I will.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 12:44 am
Just type in the related fields the names of those places and get the map like this one

http://212.11.63.67/mapsgene/dm/x0=tHE4bWI3p7iqKGhV9GMU08akKhPvhPjHsL4VZBQ=5Tvs7b5JC2AoMJKZZ341eVniLoVIQyuy=chMG3v0SKpIj18MViQ45kLWaXPGRTWKpDB6pu0RclZ8TeXphGP3VaaR5491ZUPZ5CZMWpUeTJaRBXIDO9_PPVEA1mL9JnZ9vd1Q-7fE=Yl1gRDCvWHn=ef1gzZFVaWFdKHXQ29MWoeB3hdNSWylp-ToA41ARTNpikqll7X6QSyzYKpd82npd8uXNCXFJ5XEQ4xIvZVFgCIqSyhZpvKbZHGRy5xqOn=J5loUVqeA3_XeOwmlOXUQhgc3hDLps4EvT2FQid=esRZM1uH3bWtYNKM_zTKZk9hcfYsxHwQwKTazgJL6t6I=yviIF7ppFa0Cyb7BE9cIjw4a9F7iYMGOjv8SfpfUeMTSXeJtfji3H5-FHv_lLn7g7qKF-6VGj6cpBUikdKdypMbBdZl5WQ5D7GRU9zTVqdiZjuQin4B2ODRxwDaKX6lkCvW-qeVyNzBLLEpCPvSyLtlVqboI2ZmoPJkdX
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 12:44 am
OK, ok, I'll be quiet and google general european maps.

Mumble.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 12:49 am
ossobuco wrote:
OK, ok, I'll be quiet and google general european maps.

Mumble.

Europe railway maps

(more detailed) Rail Maps for Europe
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 01:01 am
OK, Walter, that fat several lined link was very useful.

Thank you.
0 Replies

Youngbrain

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 12:16 pm
Gals & Guys let me give you some good advice, do yourself a favour and buy a Navigation GPS device, say Tom Tom. It will lead you anywhere you want to go door to door and the best way avoiding congestion and lots more! You'll never get lost again ....and you can take it from car to car, or bike etc! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 02:46 pm
<little hand waving>

This year's trip got postponed, so I'll be looking at somewhere in Europe, probably, next year. When you talk of "fall" - I presume your are referring to a season, rather than the usual margo position after a cuppla drinks. What months do you mean?

My own preference is for the south of France - one of my all time favourite places, but Italy sounds good.

And Barcelona -mmmmm! A friend of mine works for the Spanish Consulate here, and comes from Barcelona - she reckons it's one of the great cities - but then - she's chosen to live in Sydney for 8 years, and has no plans to go back! I've seen it only briefly, through my usual Spanish respiratory infection. And my Spanish is limited almost exclusively to "2-beers, please." I can't even order one beer! I need a drinking partner - or more "falls"
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 02:50 pm
Margo - Depends on when you are coming, I sometimes can be a drinking partner (for cerveza or rioja) in Barcelona (moderately).
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 03:04 pm
Wink
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 06:13 pm
I think this has been a Virtual Plan, Margo, that developed as we talked about where one could live in europe...

but I too hope to go to Europe (italy, sure) next year and will try and meet people in at least one other place, probably having to do, for me, with the best flight re my own timing/least money.
My timing would probably be fairly early or fairly late in the calendar year.. March-Apr or mid October.
We'll see. A lot of big talk from me... and I can't plan it, even if I turn out to be able to do it, for a while.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 06:50 pm
margo : <little hand waving>

i think it's next to imposssible to come up with "the best place to live in europe".
depends on what one is looking for :
- scenery, what kind ? mountains, the sea, forests ?
-people, easy to understand ? challenge of ordering your food by waving with your arms ?
-cost of living ?
-amenities ? clean washrooms, good hotels ?
-the list goes on and on.......

we haven't found a place in europe yet that we did not enjoy visiting, but living there might be a different question.
of course, if one wanted to live in europe - or any other continent - , the first question would likely be : how can i make a living ?
it's interesting though when i look back at our decision to go to canada. we weren't concerned at all about making a living; we were sure something would turn up - i packed a toolbox, an axe and a saw !!! (by profession i was an accountant with two left hands. still use the axe and saw in the garden ... big laugh !).
we've been back to europe about a dozen times (stopped counting) and have seen some wonderful places : london, berlin, st. petersburg and scandinavian countries, the black forest, the rhine and the moselle, rome and bits of italy, switzerland (beautiful), bits of france (avignon was stunning) ... hope to travel to europe again next year and discover more beautiful places. hbg
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 09:19 pm
I'm watching "Under the Tuscon Sun" right now...
but I'm still routing for Barcelona. For me it will be next
June though.....
0 Replies

Shazzer

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 10:59 am
Quote:
i think it's next to imposssible to come up with "the best place to live in europe". depends on what one is looking for

That was the reason I started this topic: I wanted your opinion on where the best place is to live for you. I'm not looking for a consensus per se, although most have expressed strong opinions regarding Barcelona and parts of Italy. I was just curious as to what areas of the continent people might consider living in and why. As someone who has been to Europe a number of times, your opinions would no doubt be most valuable to someone like me who has never been to Europe and yet is considering moving there. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 11:09 am
Shazzer, what are you primarily looking for? A larger city
that has many things (culture, entertainment) to offer?
Is the climate important? For what reason are you moving (work/school)? How long are you going to stay?

Once these questions are answered, we probably can
narrow it down to a few places that would be suitable for
you - and not to us. Wink
0 Replies