roger

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2002 10:41 pm
Sounds like it only works for women.

Well, rootie tootie tootie.

I'm discriminated
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2002 10:45 pm
Did you know that nicotine helps schizophrenics (and quite possibly the rest of us) concentrate?

Perhaps there should be a term, "practical addiction"?
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2002 10:46 pm
Guess it only works on the female side of the brain (I can never remember if that's the right or left -- guess maybe the diet pepsi isn't as good as coffee)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2002 11:27 pm
Nicotine and caffeine are now good. Margarine isn't but butter is. Feller could get whiplash just reading the news.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2002 11:32 pm
I've been thinking about the Women/Coffee question. Perhaps all of the frisky geriatric female minds have spent years and years and years getting out of bed and making the coffee?

And this self activation/self-sacrifice is being rewarded?
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2002 11:33 pm
Noddy, between my diet pepsi and my cigarettes, I should be in excellent shape in a few years mentally, if not physically. Nice to know.

roger, I am a firm believer in the theory that if one lives long enough, the results of every study that was ever done will be reversed at least 3 times.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2002 11:34 pm
Actually, I think the caffeine is the result rather than the cause. We caffeine drinkers have more active minds to begin with and just drink the caffeine so the body can keep up with the mind.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2002 11:38 pm
Not bad, Bandylu. Not bad at all.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2002 06:41 pm
It has been said by those who know me best that if I ever gave up my caffeine I'd probably drop dead.
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2002 10:50 pm
I have to bring my own coffee into work, as the family I work for only drinks decaf,....eeeewww!!

I was hiding a few cans of those Starbuck's "Double Shots" sweetened espresso in their fridge, that was until their fifteen year old daughter got at them, and I had to peel her from the dining room ceiling as I was serving their supper!!
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2002 11:49 pm
Maybe you should clue them in to the benefits of caffeine, Jerry (though then you might have to share your coffee with the whole family).
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2002 09:34 am
I LIKE the idea that some of us have to run our bodies fast to keep up with our minds!

I have a BIG coffee hit in the morning - kind of like a big starting crank - and less during the day - I wonder what THAT does to what the coffeee is doing?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 02:16 pm
I've also read that since coffee stimulates insulin which results in sugars beings stored as fat that you can lose weight by cutting out coffee for at least two weeks. I only drink about one mug a day and seldom finish that so I figure it's a 1-1/2 cups, albeit with a few tablespoons of lightener like Coffeemate. I use Kuaii Estate right now (ran out of the Galapagos but am going to reorder) and the gourmet coffees are lower in caffein but higher in fats.
0 Replies

jeanbean

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 02:35 pm
Coffee is the only thing I make myself and it's very important to my happiness.
I have 2 mugs of mocha java, with Equal and whole milk.
As I've gotten older, I think products like skimmed milk are wrong.
They are not natural.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 03:03 pm
Does anyone remember the late sixties' advertisement for coffee as "The Think Drink"?
(If you don't you didn't drink enough).

I remember there was a study, carried out in Minnesota, in which elderly coffee-drinking men were more active sexually than non-coffee drinkers. Serves to tell you about the different priorities (of scientists, of course)
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 04:13 pm
I have lowered my caffine consumption to one cup a day, in the morning. Now I sleep like a baby at night and fall asleep right away.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 04:17 pm
Hey, Boss, my doctor told me (when i went to him for sleep problems) that, in fact, a small amount of stimulant--such as a single cup of coffee--can actually be effective in helping one to sleep. Dunno, the sleep problems seem to have gone away on their own, so i've not tried it empirically.
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 04:20 pm
Hi Bandylu -- I'm glad this thread came back up to the top of the list.... thanks for sharing a good article....

excuse me, I'm going to walk over to the coffee carafe (I'm at work) and pour myself another cup.....

Very Happy
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 04:40 pm
I seem to recall (from secondary sources, since I wasn't actually there) that Watson and Crick (sp?) -- the DNA double-helix discovery guys -- said, in effect, "ignore data," since half of it was inaccurate and misleading anyway, and bad data looks no different than good data.

Not that Mother Caffeine isn't one of the last drugs I'm using to keep mind and body going in the daily drudgery of unwanted and spiritually unrewarding employment.
0 Replies