CONVERSATIONS EXCLUDING THE WORD "I"

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2003 07:46 pm
Complements to an idea brought up by Flyboy.
Can we have conversations without I in them? Why
not have a go at it? Conversations which don't contain
the word "I" (as in me, myself etc) Do you think this
idea has some promise? Or could be an interesting
experiment?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 8,480 • Replies: 111
No top replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2003 09:07 pm
Hi Babs,

I love the idea, however it's getting people to realize they HAVE to inject the "I" into conversations, at least every 5th word, continuously.

Now, that's another story!
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2003 09:15 pm
VOTE FIRST, THEN COMES THE MESSAGE ...
"VOTE FIRST, THEN COMES THE MESSAGE ..." like now. What about "we, our, us, one," etc.? Permitted or no? When perusing novels in the library to be read, most works written with a first person protagonist are studiously - assiduously - avoided! How boring, "I, I, I"! How about a topic for this "conversation"? If possible, "simple, everyday-ish." Some (permitted?) folks can give it a go. 'Tis an interesting concept. Thanks muchly! :-) - Charli [/color]
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2003 11:18 pm
Well now, Misti and Charli ... I would venture a bet
that both of you are more experienced than me at doing
this - so I could use some help here - What do you recommend?
What do you have in mind Charli?
And Misti, my dear, what is it that you mean, that it is
getting people to use an ' I ' at least every 5 words????
Oh dear, am I confused or is it just that it is past
midnight and I am already turning into a pumpkin?
0 Replies

midnight

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2003 11:30 pm
this probably doesn't apply but freshman year in college a couple of my friends and I talked in third person quite often. But I think you mean more along the lines of not refering to oneself in the midst of the conversation. no?
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 02:16 am
Hi Midnight! Yes, I THINK that was the original
idea... actually FlyBoy came up with the idea on
another thread - so I decided to wing it, and
see how it goes. But, it seems that either I
don't have a clue what I am talking about, or
I am very bad at describing what I mean.
I think the general idea was to hold conversations
with others without saying I I I or me me me
all the time. But, then I have to see what the heck
Misti means, she has me confused too.
Perhaps tomorrow we may have a clue about
what we are doing.... what do YOU think?
Oh yes! By the way - a warm welcome to A2K!
And I really DO like your choice of quotations
very, very much. If the society I live in does
not make me feel good, or makes me feel bad
then I must be strong or brave enough to create
my OWN society.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 02:41 am
eye eye Capt. Wink
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 09:12 am
This is an interesting thread in its own right and should continue on its current course; however it differs from my original post. I referred to a line from a play I saw ten or twenty years ago. It concerned a young disillusioned American who returned from Europe after working with the revolutionary Bader-Manhoff (sp.) gang. She was being interviewed by a liberal magazine writer as to the causes of her disillusionment; and that is when she expressed the belief that her idealistic goals would never be achieved until humans evolved into something which did not have the word "I" in the vocabulary. Of course she meant all forms of the word "I". In other words the disappearance of the concept of self.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 07:58 pm
Sorry Babs, I'm just reading the posts now.

What I meant was, most people don't hear themselves when they speak, and how often they say "I" throughout their conversation.

It's very unattractive and dull to listen to.
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 09:18 pm
CAN WE TALK?
Can we talk? Maybe try a hypothetical subject? I've thought of a conversation topic, but we probably need a few "rules" or some guidance. I'm not good at that. Besides the words to be avoided, should each person add only one sentence to the story, a whole paragraph, or their own "version" of said story? That is, different locales. Here's the topic: a visit to a large city. The trip there was great, so-so, disastrous. The visit: marvelous, all the sights seen, never-again, etc. Before, during, after. What do you think?

Re the post of flyboy804: the disappearance of the concept of self. Isn't that a Buddhist precept? I don't know; I'm asking.
0 Replies

jackie

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 10:25 pm
Babsatamelia,
MIDNIGHT seems to understand the concept, that SELF is not supposed to enter the story or conversation. Flyboy added enlightenment as he explained the 'desired' relationship hungered for by the subject of his story- was one of 'togetherness, and what can be accomplished in a cooperative setting where the success of the WHOLE is important.
Now Charli has proposed a forum feature of it... parts contributed by many according to general rules, and for the entertainment and effort of all contributors.

This generous, friendly, sharing effort is peaking interest- feel it??
0 Replies

Eve

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 12:34 am
I remember in primary school having a lesson on letterwriting and being told not to start the letter with I. Even that is a challenge but it is something I have always remembered and make an effort to stick to.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 01:17 pm
Gazing down from the deck of the ship, the eyes (oops, sorry) fell on the masses of humanity in the streets below; bustling about with tacit indifference to those around them. They were lost in their individual concepts of "self"!

0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 01:23 pm
Not I.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 01:47 pm
In recent years, I've thought about how so much of what we say is ego-driven. If there's a conversation, and I don't get to talk for a while, I feel an almost desperate need to say something.

Yet it's hardly on a par with feeling hungry and wanting/needing to eat, or thirsty, etc. Is this what we're getting at here? Because it's a fascinating topic.

On a related note, there appear to be those who must have the last word in A2K discussions, too...So, please, someone add to this thread, or that will be me!
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 02:52 pm
D'art -- have you noticed that in many other languages, you can drop the "I." In Spanish you seldom say, unless for emphasis, "YO voy a New York esta semana..." You just say, "Voy a New York..." When we write casually, in telegraphese, as we sometimes do here, we can drop the "I": "Not able to have lunch tomorrow. Possibly the day after..."

Keep in mind that when we say "I", it's often not referring to our whole, ego-driven being, but simply a usage, a way of clarifying.
You just posted something (I) don't agree with and (I) want to make sure you know (I) disagree with you, wholeheartedly: "Damn, D'art, I-me-smarter-than-you think you're dead wrong." ....But if it's a matter of throwing in another thought, one might say, "Well, we also need to keep in mind that..."
0 Replies

midnight

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 02:53 pm
flyboy804 wrote:
In other words the disappearance of the concept of self.

so does anybody think of this as an ideal state?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 04:06 pm
Agreed, Tartarin (methinks). Was thinking more psychologically than linguisitically re the need to speak, but it all connects, one is sure...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 04:12 pm
Nope. It makes for more interesting writing though, midnight.
0 Replies

jackie

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 04:48 pm
No, midnight- and roger,
Not to lose the concept of self, but to have greater selfless priorities MORE OF THE TIME.
Is that too "high-sounding"?

Happy 'green beer' and holiday to all.
0 Replies