CONVERSATIONS EXCLUDING THE WORD "I"

Charli

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 10:41 pm
OOPS! THAT'S "JLN"
Oops! That's "JLN." Please 'scuse; it's beddy-bye time. And, so, until the morrow -adieu!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 08:38 pm
yogi berra
Well, Nobody's home again. You're graciously excused, Charli (but I don't understand what for). BTW, way you are so right in your appreciation of the wisdom of Yogi Berra. I once took his advice on coming to a fork in the road. I took it and ended up having TWO good trips.
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 04:46 am
JLN - 'CAUSE THE PREVIOUS POST READ "JNL"
JLN - Welcome home! The "Please 'scuse" was because my previous post read "JNL" NOT JLN.

For the subject at hand: Recently, someone said that Bob Dole constantly refers to himself in the third person. Hm-m-m!

And, a digression: Has there been a discussion elsewhere on A2K about the philosophy of Yogi Berra, Satchel Paige, etc.? "Words to Live By?"
[/color] Smile
0 Replies

KevinCarlson

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 02:45 pm
How about a post sans that letter after 'H'?

Once a complete short story was penned where the letter 'e' was left out.
'Twas a remarkable effect, seldom to be repeated elsewhere.
Can you see a comparable effect at present?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 03:50 pm
I
Here is a comment from the philosopher-social theorist, George Herbert Mead, that fits quite well with our topic:

"Recognizing that the self can not appear in consciousness as an 'I,' that it is always an object, i.e., a 'me,' I wish to suggest an answer to the question, What is involved in the self being an object? The first answer may be that an object involves a subject. Stated in other words, that a 'me' is inconceivable without an 'I.' And to this, reply must be made that such an 'I' is a presupposition, but never a presentation of conscious experience, for the moment it is presented it has passed into the objective case, presuming, if you like, an 'I' that observes--but an 'I' that can disclose himself only by ceasing to be the subject for whom the object 'me' exists."
It is interesting to note that "I" is treated here as a mere PRESUPPOSITION, not an object of experience. To be experienced it ceases to be an "I" and becomes a THOUGHT, a thought of a "me". And one does not EXPERIENCE a "me", one only THINKS it. To speak without use of the word, "I" does not erase the presupposition of the existence of a self behind experience; it merely removes it from linguistic expression.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 04:37 pm
I was taught never to use "I." Wink c.i.
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 07:39 pm
Referring link for Mead?
JLN - Do you have a link for the Mead quote? It is difficult to understand how Mead classes "I" as a thought rather than a subject doing the action. Agreed, the "Me" is acted upon, but the "I" cannot be - to "I," of "I," for "I," put "I," hit "I," stop "I," etc.? His argument given here, seems fallacious, unless there is further substantiation. Thanks for the provoking thought!

It IS possible to have long discussions (conversations) without "I." One need only discuss ideas (without personal opinion), things, or people. (The order given supposedly is that of from "great minds to lesser ones.") :-) :-) :-)
[/color]
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 10:45 pm
I
Charli, sorry, there're no link for this quote. It comes from Mead's paper, The Social Self (published in the Journal of Philosophy and Scientific Methods, Vol.X, January-December, 1913).
He does not refer to the "I" as a conscious thought per se. It is more a tacit assumption--what he calls a presuppostion--generally, if not always unconscious (out of awareness). We act "as if" there is an "I" behind--or as subject of--our actions, thoughts and sensations. The "me" is a thought. So, to Mead people are normally engaged in a kind of internal dialog in which "I" is examing the needs and status of "me". When considering some strategy of action, "I" think about how it's going to benefit "me," for example. But the "I" is not examined, not thought about. To be "self-conscious" in that sense, to look for the "I" of experience, it automatically becomes the "me" as it is "objectified." This, it seems to me, is very similar, at an intellectual level, to the model of the self of zen buddhism.
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2003 08:33 pm
THINK "I'VE" GOT IT ...
JLN - Think I've got it now ... Mead's essay: "It's all about ME." H-E-A-V-Y! Is this part of the survival instinct? Hm-m-m ... And if "I" is dropped in our conversation and thinking? Somehow, I think it's still "all about me." :-) :-) :-)[/color]
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2003 11:31 pm
me
Charli, I do think there is survival value in the assumption of an "I" behind (or the subject of) experience. This is probably why we see in all cultures in some form or another. "Me" (the object of self-consciousness) is really what we are talking about in this thread. When one tries to omit the use of "I" in conversations I think it is to supress the thought of the self--the "me"--and by extension self-centeredness. The presupposition of an "I" is, I suspect what mystics try to put into perspective--to see it for what it is, a useful fiction or working hypothesis, nothing more.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 07:47 pm
You all have been busy little beavers here
haven't you? I've been out of town, and
I would have expected this thread to be a
dud - but it is still alive. This, in itself, is
a very interesting and unexpected
happening. Could it be our ego's warring
or our souls touching - or just plain old
horseshit. Laughing
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 07:52 pm
WHO AM I?
Searching the Internet, and especially "Ask Jeeves," came up with the following material from http://www.SkepDic.com. Each one of the items in the list is a separate entry that can be highlighted and entered on line. Concentrating on the "I" as the concrete subject entity and not the abstract objective ME," these postulate alternative existences. It would seem that all depends on where one's belief resides. If "I" am doing the action, "I" can change it accordingly. However, the "Me" as recipient of an action, is denied the choice of transformation.
Who am I?
(Each of the following purports to have the answer to this eternal question.)
* alchemy
* astrology
* atrotherapy
* auras
* biorhythms
* cartomancy
* chiromancy
* craniometry
* divination
* enneagram
* graphology
* hypnosis
* I Ching
* iridology
* metoposcopy
* multiple personality disorder
* Myers-Briggs
* Ouija board
* palmistry
* past life regression
* personology
* phrenology
* physiognomy
* reflexology
* Rorschach ink blot test
* runes
* scapulimancy
* stichomancy
* tarot cards
Recommended Reading . . . [available on the site]
The "Avatar" entry is the only one looked at here.

"An avatar is a variant phase or version of a continuing basic entity, such as the incarnation in human form of a divine being. Avatar is also the name of a New Age self-help course based upon changing a person's life by training the person to manage his or her beliefs. According to Jack Raso , 'Avatar's fundamental doctrine is that people have a natural ability to create or "discreate" any reality at will. [I can be anything or anyone I want to be!] This alleged ability stems from a hypothetical part of consciousness that proponents call "SOURCE."'

"According to their promotional material,

'Avatar awakens you to a natural ability you already have to create and discreate beliefs. With this skill, you can restructure your life according to the blueprint that you determine. One discovery many people on the Avatar course make is that what you are believing is less important than the fact that you are believing it. Avatar empowers you to realize that there aren't "good" beliefs and "bad" beliefs. There are only the beliefs that you wish to experience and the beliefs you prefer not to experience. Through the tools that the course presents you with, you create an experience of yourself as the source, or creator, of your beliefs. From that place, it's very natural and easy to create the beliefs that you prefer.

"These notions seem so obviously a mixture of the true, the trivial and the false that one hesitates to comment on them. If there are no good or bad beliefs then how did the people at Avatar come upon the belief that their course has any value? And what difference does it make whether anyone believes in Avatar belief management techniques?"
Perhaps one can be a "cafeteria" philosopher and take one from Column A, another tenet from Column B, etc.?
[/color]
0 Replies