Laura Bush hopes to help repair US image

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 11:45 am
US first lady Laura Bush started a goodwill tour of the Middle East yesterday acknowledging America's image in the Muslim world was badly damaged by a prisoner abuse scandal and a retracted Newsweek report that US interrogators desecrated the Holy Cur'an.

Laura Bush said she hoped her five-day mission to Jordan, Israel, the West Bank and Egypt, on which she will stress the importance of giving more political freedom to women, will help repair that damage.

She also acknowledged the difficulty of restarting the Israeli-Palestinian peace process, and called for Egyptian President Hisn Mubarak to set an example to the Middle East with fair elections.

"I hope that the Middle East, the broader Middle East, get to know Americans like we really are," Laura Bush told reporters before arriving in Amman, her first stop.

"I don'ta think they really have the sense of Americans being religious ... being tolerant of every religion."

The first lady said Newsweek made a mistake over the desecration report but was not entirely to blame for the violence that ensued.

"Of course I think it was damaging, but in the US, if there'sa a terrible report, people don'ta riot and kill other people. And you can'ta excuse what they did because of the mistake," she said, adding, "You can'ta blame it all on Newsweek."

Instead, the first lady blamed "terrible happenings", including the Abu Ghraib prisoner abuse scandal in Iraq, for having "really, really hurt our image".

Ahead of her visit to Jerusalem and to Jericho in the West Bank, Laura Bush acknowledged the difficulty of making progress under a US-backed road map for peace, saying "for every step forward ... we have, you know, one step back".

"But I really, truly believe that we're as close as we've ever been to peace... So of course I want to encourage both sides to continue on the steps."

The first lady's message to Mubarak blended praise with gentle prodding.

"President Mubarak is very popular in Egypt, he's very well liked, and it's very important for him, as well as for the country, as well as an example for the rest of the countries in the broader Middle East to show that Egypt can have free and fair elections," Laura Bush said. - Reuters

Do you think she will succeed ?

source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 978 • Replies: 18
No top replies

not2know

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 12:13 pm
"America can redeem itself only by holding Bush accountable"

"George W. Bush and his gang of neocon warmongers have destroyed America's reputation. It is likely to stay destroyed, because at this point the only way to restore America's reputation would be to impeach and convict President Bush for intentionally deceiving Congress and the American people in order to start a war of aggression against a country that posed no threat to the United States.
America can redeem itself only by holding Bush accountable. As intent as Republicans were to impeach President Bill Clinton for lying about a sexual affair, they have a blind eye for President Bush's far more serious lies. Bush's lies have caused the deaths of tens of thousands of people, injured and maimed tens of thousands more, devastated a country, destroyed America's reputation, caused 1 billion Muslims to hate America, ruined our alliances with Europe, created a police state at home, and squandered $300 billion dollars and counting."
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 12:19 pm
Quite a list of "accomplishments" to add to his resume.
0 Replies

not2know

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 12:46 pm
could this be another Watergate ?

link by Lord Ellpus

Blair faces US probe over secret Iraq invasion plan

SENIOR American congressmen are considering sending a delegation to London to investigate Britain's role in preparations for the war in Iraq.
Democratic opponents of President George W Bush have seized on a leaked Downing Street memo, first published three weeks ago by The Sunday Times, as evidence that American lawmakers were misled about Bush's intentions in Iraq.

A group of 89 Democrats from the House of Representatives has written to Bush to ask whether the memo is accurate.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 12:49 pm
We will hold them accountable in the next election...
0 Replies

not2know

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 01:02 pm
McGentrix wrote:

This may not always be possible, dew to something called "fraud"
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 01:30 pm
Yeah and all that dew on the ballots down in Florida.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 04:26 pm
McGentrix wrote:

Bush can't run again so he has to be held accountable in some other way.
0 Replies

not2know

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 04:24 am
cjhsa wrote:

This is the video -- Florida voting machine Laughing

Bush Wins Florida!
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 06:24 am
" Bush's lies have caused the deaths of tens of thousands of people, injured and maimed tens of thousands more, devastated a country, destroyed America's reputation, caused 1 billion Muslims to hate America, ruined our alliances with Europe, created a police state at home, and squandered $300 billion dollars and counting."

Must be from an un-named source.

Anyway, I did not realize the we were so loved by the Muslims prior to GW's election. Didn't realize that Iraqi govt waited for the US to kill it's citizens. Didn't realize I was living in a Police State here int he US.

Thanks for pointing all this out for us....whoever you are.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 07:28 am
not2know wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

This is the video -- Florida voting machine Laughing

Bush Wins Florida!

So that is how he won. I knew it had to be some reason other than the man himself. Laughing
0 Replies

not2know

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 07:43 am
woiyo wrote:
" Bush's lies have caused the deaths of tens of thousands of people, injured and maimed tens of thousands more, devastated a country, destroyed America's reputation, caused 1 billion Muslims to hate America, ruined our alliances with Europe, created a police state at home, and squandered $300 billion dollars and counting."

Must be from an un-named source.

Anyway, I did not realize the we were so loved by the Muslims prior to GW's election. Didn't realize that Iraqi govt waited for the US to kill it's citizens. Didn't realize I was living in a Police State here int he US.

Thanks for pointing all this out for us....whoever you are.

the source is : Former Reagan Official: Only Way to Restore America's Credibility is Impeachment
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 08:03 am
And during the Assistant Sec. of Treasurys time in service, how much "in love" were Muslims with the US?
0 Replies

Atkins

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 12:03 pm
It's taken me a long time to answer this post. I've been rolling around on the floor with helpless laughter for the past 90 minutes.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 01:09 pm
You should try not tickling yourself.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 01:15 pm
Hard to imagine how this image couldn't be an improvement over the previous one.

http://library.thinkquest.org/TQ0312172/laura%20bush.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39122000/jpg/_39122308_030604hillary150a.jpg

Or, even worse yet, the one the world wanted:

http://www.florida2000election.com/images/kerry3.jpg

The rest of the world seems to have really bad taste in women. Japanese males once voted Janet Reno as the American woman they'd most like to marry. Go figure.
0 Replies

not2know

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 01:32 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Hard to imagine how this image couldn't be an improvement over the previous one.

http://library.thinkquest.org/TQ0312172/laura%20bush.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39122000/jpg/_39122308_030604hillary150a.jpg

Or, even worse yet, the one the world wanted:

http://www.florida2000election.com/images/kerry3.jpg

The rest of the world seems to have really bad taste in women. Japanese males once voted Janet Reno as the American woman they'd most like to marry. Go figure.

"you are right, i agree with you" this could of been a bush quote...
0 Replies

raymon

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 04:20 pm
Re: Laura Bush hopes to help repair US image
not2know wrote:
"President Mubarak is very popular in Egypt, he's very well liked, and it's very important for him, as well as for the country, as well as an example for the rest of the countries in the broader Middle East to show that Egypt can have free and fair elections," Laura Bush said. - Reuters

hehehehe ... Why Laura is so sure President Mubarak is very popular? From where did here get such information!!!!

Her comments were not appreciated by human rights organizations and think-tanks

Edit [Moderator]: Link removed
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 05:59 pm
Woiyo-

I think this is Gungasnakes other personality. It is best to let 'them' fight it out.

TTF
0 Replies