First we take Baghdad

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 04:21 pm
and then 2 years on after major military operations are over we take Baghdad.
Quote:
BAGHDAD, Iraq - Seven Iraqi battalions backed by U.S. forces launched an offensive in the capital on Sunday in an effort to stanch the violence that has killed more than 550 people in less than a month, targeting insurgents who have attacked the dangerous road to Baghdad's airport and Abu Ghraib prison.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,921 • Replies: 44
No top replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 04:38 pm
Are you just making fun of America, or the American military, or do you have a point capable of expression in words? It sounds like you're saying that failure to succeed quickly in a war is evidence of some kind of sin. Perhaps you could clarify, or perhaps you'd rather make some irrelevant crack than explain what you mean.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 04:39 pm
You forget to take yer meds today, Boss?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 04:52 pm
http://www.weneedadream.org/images/Pogo3.jpg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 04:59 pm
Then, we taker her a third and fourth time, under Presidents McCain and DeLay.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 04:59 pm
It should be kept in mind that taking Baghdad was the big political success of the first Bush term. Taking it again every two years is bound to keep that triumph fresh in every voters mind.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 07:51 pm
Setanta wrote:

Entries in a debate which consist solely of ad hominems serve only to suggest weakness in the position of the person posting them. To pretend to argue against a position by assailing the proponent of it suggests that the poster cannot compete on the level of rational argument.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 08:07 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Then, we taker her a third and fourth time, under Presidents McCain and DeLay.

This reminded me of this article (worth the time to get a free registration at Foreign Policy).

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/story/cms.php?story_id=20

Sorry about the cut and paste, but it's the full column, for people who don't like to do extra registrations.

Quote:

I don't think this is Chicken Little.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 08:29 pm
I sure don't see an easy way out.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 08:34 pm
we could start with an apology and large repairations (it would be a start) as we let the door hit our ass.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 08:38 pm
I agree it would help, but, there ain't enough people who see it like that.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 08:47 pm
Here's a third.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 09:47 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Entries in a debate which consist solely of ad hominems serve only to suggest weakness in the position of the person posting them. To pretend to argue against a position by assailing the proponent of it suggests that the poster cannot compete on the level of rational argument.

You are so silly . . .

So . . . did you take your meds?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 10:25 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Are you just making fun of America, or the American military, or do you have a point capable of expression in words? It sounds like you're saying that failure to succeed quickly in a war is evidence of some kind of sin. Perhaps you could clarify, or perhaps you'd rather make some irrelevant crack than explain what you mean.

Actually, he is quoting from a legitimate news story - the contents of which you do not like - so YOU resorted to the ad hominen.

Beware the beam in your eye before condemning the mote in the next person's.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 11:23 pm
dlowan wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Actually, he is quoting from a legitimate news story - the contents of which you do not like - so YOU resorted to the ad hominen.

Beware the beam in your eye before condemning the mote in the next person's.

1. I never condemned ad hominems. I said that posts which consist only of ad hominems have no debating significance, and most likely indicate that the poster cannot argue his point.
2. Yes, he's quoting from a news story, but my objection was that he didn't state his point.
3. It sounded as though he was implying that failure to proceed directly and quickly from entry in a war to victory proved some kind of illegitimacy, which is nonsense.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 11:33 pm
quag·mire (kwăg'mīr', kwŏg'-)
n.
1. Land with a soft muddy surface.
2. A difficult or precarious situation; a predicament.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 11:55 pm
Entry into a war? Surely it was a liberation......wasnt it?

Normally, liberators are welcomed with open arms, and the liberated Country rejoices in its new found freedom, and quickly gets back on with peacefully restoring their Country.

Tell me Brandon, what is making this liberation so different to all the others?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 11:58 pm
My, you are an early riser, your Lordship . . . or Lordboat, or Lordlaunch, whatever the appropriate term is . . .
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 12:18 am
Methinks it was the extra strong Mocha that I consumed at 11pm last night. ............I shall stick to Malted milk drinks in future.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 12:26 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Entry into a war? Surely it was a liberation......wasnt it?

Normally, liberators are welcomed with open arms, and the liberated Country rejoices in its new found freedom, and quickly gets back on with peacefully restoring their Country.

Tell me Brandon, what is making this liberation so different to all the others?

Well, first of all, it should be borne in mind that our primary purpose in invading was to resolve the WMD issue, not to liberate the Iraqis. That having been said, though, they are being liberated, since they are having Hussein's iron fisted and very cruel regime replaced by an elected government.

Perhaps you can get some clue to the answer to your question from the fact that the insurgents threatened to kill people who voted, and did, indeed, bomb polling places. Perhaps the insurgents are people who suspect that they can get more power at the point of a gun than by participating in elections. If I may venture to offer you a little advice, I would not look for my moral compass to people who saw off the heads off their living, non-combatant hostages.
0 Replies