The Great Lactaid Challenge

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 02:02 pm
As some of you may know, I am lactose intolerant.

Today, I have decided to try an experiment, with Lactaid pills. The box promises that, if used as directed, these pills will prevent the gas, diarrhea, and bloating that comes along with eating dairy products. It doesn't say anything about the incredibly painful cramps, but I guess they are gas-related symptoms.

Anyway, I wanted to know if those Lactaid pills really work, so I put it to the test.

I ate two of the pills with my first bite of dairy, as prescribed on the box, and then proceeded to finish off a full pint of Ben And Jerry's Chunky Monkey ice cream.

I am now going to sit and watch the basketball game. I'll post my findings later.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 5,384 • Replies: 46
No top replies

Chai

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 02:03 pm
I can't wait
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 02:05 pm
Bye-bye, Kicky. It was nice to know ya.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 02:06 pm
By the way, that Chunky Monkey ice cream is some really good ****.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 02:17 pm
you're speaking literally, aren't you
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 02:51 pm
Gas!
Bloating!
Diarrhea!

What's not to like?
Have another scoop, Kicky.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 02:53 pm
I had ribs, chili, and beans for lunch.
Should be an eventful evening for me as well.
Thank God we don't share a bathrroom.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 02:53 pm
kicky : hoping "option 4" will not happen. i have trouble digesting/tolerating milk (especially cold milk), but have little problem with yoghurt and (most)hard cheeses. found out the hard way that really good "emmentaler" also does not agree we me anymore - and it's been one of my favourite cheeses for years. regular "swiss" cheese is still ok - i wonder how long.
i tried lactaid - option 4 came into play - bummer ! have had a "full-blown" examination of most of my inner parts twice; the verdict : nothing major wrong, drink plenty of water ! for some time now i have been taking an antihistame (tavist) and some acid reducers daily and that allows me to eat most foods without much trouble. family doctor says : "it's all a matter of trial and error " ; that means : if you can't tolerate the food, don't eat it ! (thta's medical "science" for you !). hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 02:54 pm
kicky : hoping "option 4" will not happen. i have trouble digesting/tolerating milk (especially cold milk), but have little problem with yoghurt and (most)hard cheeses. found out the hard way that really good "emmentaler" also does not agree we me anymore - and it's been one of my favourite cheeses for years. regular "swiss" cheese is still ok - i wonder how long.
i tried lactaid - option 4 came into play - bummer ! have had a "full-blown" examination of most of my inner parts twice; the verdict : nothing major wrong, drink plenty of water ! for some time now i have been taking an antihistame (tavist) and some acid reducers daily and that allows me to eat most foods without much trouble. family doctor says : "it's all a matter of trial and error " ; that means : if you can't tolerate the food, don't eat it ! (that's medical "science" for you !). hbg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 02:56 pm
Is he dead yet ?

Oh, Hi, Kick . . . uhm . . . just checkin' in . . .
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 03:00 pm
Mmmm, I hope it works, then you can have some gelato soon... I mean other than the sorbetto kind.
They give small delicious portions...

(Btw, did you see the article on the Marches region in the NYT today?)
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 03:14 pm
phrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrip

ah, much better

you know - i wuz lactose intol for years and had no idea.
i used to go out on my lunch hour and drive around for 1/2 hour just to fart.

one day - i decided to start counting.

when i got to 45 i was laughing so hard i was crying.

soy for me thanks.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 04:39 pm
Well, it's two and a half hours later, and I'm still alive. I don't feel the least bit gassy or bloated. Hmmm...I think that Lactaid crap worked! Of course, I fell asleep on the couch for about an hour and a half, so maybe it all happened in my sleep. But I didn't wake up with a load in my pants, so at least I know I didn't have diarrhea.

So I guess I can eat gelato when I'm in Italia now. Excellent!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 04:40 pm
P.S. No, Osso, I didn't see that article, but I will check right now. Thanks for the head's up.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 04:49 pm
Here's a link about it, re matters like not refrigerating the pills (or whatever they are) but storing below 77 degrees (?) and not taking them too early - just in case the box didn't say all that..

http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/DVH/Uses/0,3915,7484%7CLactAid,00.html
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 05:54 pm
Good news!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 05:58 pm
Is he dead yet?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 07:30 pm
Setanta wrote:
Is he dead yet?

How'm I supposed to tell?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 07:31 pm
I dunno. Should someone try to call him?
He does have a cat that needs to be fed in a month or so.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 07:37 pm
Maybe he's still reading the NYT article...
0 Replies