What's the deal with "twerking" and "thiccness", and how and why did these things become so BIG now?

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2019 11:00 pm
Hi. I don't know that much about pop culture trends- I don't really keep up with them. I haven't done so in years. I recall trying to "cash in" on the Sudoku craze a couple of years back and that was about it.

I am just a bit curious about this.

When did "twerking" become a big thing? To twerk, according to Google Dictionary, is to "dance to popular music in a sexually provocative manner involving thrusting hip movements and a low, squatting stance."

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twerking:

"Twerking (/ˈtwɜːrkɪŋ/) is a type of dance originating as part of the bounce music scene of New Orleans in the late 1980s. Individually-performed, chiefly but not exclusively by women, dancers move by throwing or thrusting their hips back or shaking their buttocks, often in a low squatting stance."

The dance originated back in the '80s. There is further proof it originated back in the '80s here:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/celebrities-twerking_n_3909261

Why has "twerking" become such a thing now? IS it because Miley Cyrus popularized the dance at a VMA performance back in 2013? Is it in part to Internet culture? Did Cyrus inspire females all over the world to twerk after that performance? Or did "twerking" take off and become popular before Cyrus did it?

When and why did "thiccness" become a thing? When did "thiccness" become a social and beauty norm now? I first discovered and learned of the word "thicc" being used in the comments sections under certain videos on YouTube, and on social media, and on a few other places online.

I assume this is slang that mostly KIDS use these days.

I don't like "thiccness" on females. I don't like TOO MANY curves on a female, especially in the thighs. That looks FREAKISH to me. "Thicc" thighs make a female look like she has BIRD LEGS. Seriously.

Call me old-fashioned, but what happened to nice legs, and hourglass figures? Nice SLENDER legs. Those features look feminine.

I was told that "thiccness" originated in rap/hip-hop jargon:

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/thicc

Is is true "thiccness" became a social and beauty norm when Kim Kardashian was popular? She was the one who originated this? She was the one who encouraged teenaged girls and young women to get fat implants to give themselves "thicc" thighs?

I would also like to know how "twerking" became a worldwide pop culture phenomenon and who was responsible for making it become this.

Please help- thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,773 • Replies: 45

izzythepush

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2019 01:03 am
@JGoldman10,
I blame Theresa May. It's a bit unfair on the rest of us who can only dream of looking that cool and sexy.

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2019 08:29 am
@JGoldman10,
This is the current generations inappropriate dance. Not to mention we had our own versions of dances that you not too much different than the twerk - we just didn't have a name for it.

And there were others in the past --- think things like Elvis, the twist, the Charleston, and even the waltz at one time.

Every generation has those dances that us older folks do not approve of.

But to each his own - if you don't approve you do not need to engage in it. I remember when I went on a trip to the Bahamas with my friend. We went to the dance club in the hotel we were staying at - there was this one very handsome Bahaman man - and he was (our terminology then) dirty dancing this older woman (in her 30s being in my 20s at the time this was older) - they were dirty dancing (grinding and basically twerking and similar).

I was like -- I wouldn't dance like that - so of course this man came over and asked me to dance. I straight forward said -- I saw you dancing with her -- I do not dance like that so I'm sorry No. He insisted and said I can tell you are innocent I wouldn't dance like that with you. I still refused - I laughed and thanked him but there was no way I was dancing with him. That woman kept telling me go ahead its fun! But it wasn't for me so I didn't do it.

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2019 12:13 pm
@Linkat,
True. "Twerking" is basically this gen's answer to bumping and grinding.

It's not just teenaged girls and young women doing it. I've seen older women doing it.

Thank you for responding- but you still aren't answering the topic question.

How and why did "twerking" and "thiccness" become BIG things now? Who was responsible for making these things BIG?

How did "twerking" become the international phenomenon that it's become NOW when the dance has been around since the '80s?

WAS Kim Kardashian responsible for making "thiccness" become a social and beauty norm?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2019 04:09 am
I think twerking is disgusting.

Look at this video:

The young woman in this video became Internet-famous. Her claim to fame is "twerking in public".

I discovered this video a while ago. She made a bunch of videos like this. This one video generated over 50 million views on YouTube.

This is MADDENING.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2019 05:06 am
I discovered this article:

https://www.highsnobiety.com/2017/06/13/twerking-classes/

and unexpectedly found the answer to why twerking became so popular.

According to the article:

"Twerking, a staple in black American communities since at least the early 1980s, is based on traditional waist and hip movements danced in West Africa. It went mainstream circa 2013, when Miley Cyrus decided she was going to twerk her way into adulthood and out of the Disney spotlight. Tongue wagging and non-existent booty gyrating, Cyrus enlisted the help of rappers like Juicy J, Big Sean and Wiz Khalifa – along with producer Mike Will – to create a new ‘ratchet’ persona based on black American hip-hop stereotypes, leaving Hannah Montana in the dust.

Cyrus has since walked back her love of hip-hop culture – considered by many to be cultural appropriation rather than appreciation in the first place – but her Bangerz-era twerking launched the dance form into the (white) mainstream, and now twerking is having its day in the sun as a fitness craze."

Cyrus WAS responsible for making twerking so popular.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2019 09:20 pm
Remember CLASSIC beauty norms? You know- nice slender legs and hourglass figures?

How did females go from looking something like this:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48176220112_25cb4314fc_o.png

(Just using this as an example. I was looking for an image that was SFW.)

to looking like this?:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48176240582_7a7748f3f0_o.png
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48176244587_71646b3c8f_o.png

What happened?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2019 10:52 pm
From what I read and from what I was told online, Kim K. was responsible for imposing "thiccness" on people. She encouraged teenaged girls and young women (mostly I presume) to get FAT IMPLANTS to make themselves look "thicc".

That's BARBARIC. What is WRONG with people? Why would any female aspire to look like that? Why would any female in her right mind want to get FAT implanted in their THIGHS to look "thicc"?

I don't like "thicc" thighs on a female. That looks freakish and mannish. "Thicc" thighs make females look like they have BIRD LEGS. That's NOT ATTRACTIVE.

TOO MANY CURVES ON A FEMALE IS OVERKILL.

Case in point:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48176236922_26b8b37a9c_o.png

THIS looks friggin' UGLY.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2019 11:11 pm
This doesn't look too nice either:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48176881427_5476d2e141_o.png
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2019 11:22 pm
@JGoldman10,
Everyone will have their own preferences of what looks sexy or attractive to them.

Just curious, what do you think of actress Christina Hendricks beauty?

She is definitely a curvy woman.

I personally find her to be very attractive and sexy.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 2 Jul, 2019 01:04 am
@Real Music,
Who is Christian Hendricks? I don't know who that is.

I am a Christian- I don't describe females as "hot" or "fine" or "sexy"- that connotes lust.

I say "cute" or "pretty" or "handsome".

That White girl with the glasses I posted a pic of doesn't look TOO bad, but her legs look somewhat masculine.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 2 Jul, 2019 01:31 am
I'm a CHRISTIAN. I don't like UGLY.

Any female in any culture built like this:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48177508866_56a05a3d7b_o.png

Or like Mrs. Incredible:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48177511636_489c6138bb_o.png

In REAL LIFE looks UGLY. I do not like "THICC" thighs. That is a turn-off. I don't see much difference between THAT and the legs of a FEMALE BODYBUILDER.

I don't want to marry a woman who has "THICC" thighs. I can't make babies with a woman with "THICC" thighs- a woman who looks like she could CRUSH ME WITH HER LEGS.

I don't get the attraction.

I don't like big, ugly ghetto butts either, especially if it's on African American females.
Real Music

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2019 10:00 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
I'm a CHRISTIAN. I don't like UGLY.
This statement of yours doesn't sound like a CHRISTIAN.
This statement sounds more like a judgmental person who has a superficial view of other people's physical appearances.

Quote:
I don't like big, ugly ghetto butts either, especially if it's on African American females.
Once again, your statement doesn't sound anything like a CHRISTIAN.
Real Music

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2019 10:18 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
She is a beautiful curvy American actress.
You can google her name to see who she is and how she looks.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2019 10:29 am
@JGoldman10,
There is nothing wrong with you having personal preferences of how a woman's body is shaped.
Different people have there own personal preferences.
I suspect that all of us have our own personal preferences.
That's just part of being human.

What is wrong is for you to be judgmental of the shape of a woman's body.

What if a woman was overweight or obese?
What if a woman was extremely short or extremely tall?

I am only pointing this out, because you keep reminding everyone that you are a CHRISTIAN.
Real Music

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2019 11:03 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
The correct spelling of the name is Christina
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2019 11:54 am
@Real Music,
Here's a little secret- I copied some from of my posts from another thread that I started on this topic from a BBS from another site. That's why some of the words are in caps. I am only commenting on the outward appearances of things, and I am not going to LIE and say I like something when I don't.

If I may ask, are YOU African American? Do you know what I mean by "ghetto butt"? I have seen big ones that are/were UGLY-LOOKING.

I am not an expert on culture. I assume the terms "ghetto butt" or "ghetto booty" originated in African American culture, specifically through rap/hip-hop culture. I do know the terms are tied to African American culture.

"Ghetto butts" or "ghetto bootys" are ugly if they are FAT.

0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2019 12:05 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

What is wrong is for you to be judgmental of the shape of a woman's body.

What if a woman was overweight or obese?
What if a woman was extremely short or extremely tall?

I am only pointing this out, because you keep reminding everyone that you are a CHRISTIAN.

Again, I am not going to LIE and say I am attracted to something when I am not. To answer your question I am not attracted to fat women. I am being honest.

I don't have a problem with short women or tall women. I like short women and tall women. I like petite women.

I like tall slender women, and short slender women.

0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2019 07:49 pm
@Real Music,
There's nothing attractive about FLAB, especially if it's in a woman's butt.

Look at this young woman. She is cute and has a nice form:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48193107156_d5c1d501b4_b.jpg

There's nothing off-putting about how the girl looks.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 7 Jul, 2019 07:28 pm
Who keeps thumbing my posts down in this thread? Mad