Marquis de Carabas

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 11:17 am
Cyracuz wrote:
Because we can't agree what they mean?

Because they don't mean anything.
0 Replies

Tarah

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 06:19 pm
All the words in the world don't equate to a tender touch. I think words are a poor way of communication, they make for so many misunderstandings. The trouble is that in most cases that's all we have.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 06:26 pm
In the beginning was The Word?

For all of the foibles of Words, is that the main thing we have to communicate with other humans?-Words? Words have their huge flaws, but its all we have other than body language etc to communicate with folks that are not our significant others.

Hopefully, thought precedes words.

Of course: Actions speak louder than Words.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 08:01 pm
Because they mean something.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 08:05 pm
Why are words so powerless?
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 08:06 pm
Words can be powerful or powerless.

Is it only the meaning we decide to give to them (or not) that gives them any power?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 10:35 pm
More powerful than words are sentences, and still more powerful is grammar.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 10:46 pm
JLNobody wrote:
More powerful than words are sentences, and still more powerful is grammar.

Then paragraphs. Passages. That transport your being. Coherent thoughts of clarity expressed in passages. Whether you agree or disagree with the thought being expressed, one cannot deny the power of the wave of communication...
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 10:47 pm
ruh?
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 10:49 pm
CodeBorg wrote:
ruh?

Question

and then of course sometimes certain words mean a lot to some people, and nothing to others...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 10:52 pm
I would suggest to you that words can be so powerful (although not of necessity powerful inherently) because language has been so crucial in the long, slow progression from hunter/gatherers to modern humanity. Even simple activities such as hunting and gathering can be so powerfully enhanced through language. If i find a herd of bison or a huge blackberry thicket, i can communicate the information more rapidly with language, and i can repeatedly communicate the information in an efficient manner as i encounter each member or small cluster of members of the clan or tribe.

People have used language, even in pre-literate societies, to construct huge, elaborate social edifices, and to conduct complex activites, such as migration or war. The power of language arises from it's having been the most effective and adaptable tool humans have ever created.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 10:57 pm
Reah!! Smile

<points at Setanta>

<scratches butt>
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 11:16 pm
Setanta wrote:
I would suggest to you that words can be so powerful (although not of necessity powerful inherently) because language has been so crucial in the long, slow progression from hunter/gatherers to modern humanity. Even simple activities such as hunting and gathering can be so powerfully enhanced through language. If i find a herd of bison or a huge blackberry thicket, i can communicate the information more rapidly with language, and i can repeatedly communicate the information in an efficient manner as i encounter each member or small cluster of members of the clan or tribe.

People have used language, even in pre-literate societies, to construct huge, elaborate social edifices, and to conduct complex activites, such as migration or war. The power of language arises from it's having been the most effective and adaptable tool humans have ever created.

Exactly.

Thats what I think is so powerful about "In The Beginning was The Word."

Its almost as if that writer is worshipping The Word. They knew that. They knew the extreme power of The Word.

It was a sort of beginning of civilization. Beginning of society.

Sometimes I almost think Religions are trying to worship Society. Of course they never will say that.

In the beginning was the word.

I mean right after Let there be light was The Word.

Are religions really just worshipping the power of The Word? The power of The Word to Bring Civilization together to form Society (god)?

Is that the God some religions are really describing? Religions are worshipping The Word and Society.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 11:31 pm
The foregoing statement is the sole responsibility of the author, and does not necessarily represent the opinion of this station or its management.

Up next, when super-model mudwrestlers attack ! ! !
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 11:37 pm
Reh. <shakes head>

Everything . . .

everything is a word. Rah!

Please. Open eyes, open ears, trace happenings, watch.

Dogs speak more than humans. Faster, more thoroughly, and richer than any book.
Their word travels from one to another, to another and another instantly ... and the
most brilliant part is they don't record it.
They don't have the time, too busy living fully.
And they don't need to. One thing leads to another
quicker than any human "project" ever has.

They don't destroy the environment with calculated rigidity. They speak and listen within it.
Words speak everywhere, all around. Why blind ourselves to the greatest languages?
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 11:38 pm
I know.

Well I figured I can say anthing here in this thread, the fundamentalists won't find me here.

Will they?

Hey you religious zealots!

Where would you be without The Word?

Without The Word, you and your Gods lose everything....!

Consider this a shot across your bow!

What are you but Words? You are nothing but words!

What, no answer? Silence? You have no Words to defend thyself? :wink:

The above is said with all the understated humor, willful obtuseness, and general irony that I could muster at this late hour.

-Extra (running for cover to behind the protection of a dictionary) Medium
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 11:43 pm
dats right.

takinn off my own big gurl's blouse ah been wearin
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 11:47 pm
How many people have died, due to meaningless words?

Untrue words. Lies.

How many people have actually got snuffed out of existence just over meaningless words?

Then there's the other millions that died for words that someone (or they themselves) actually thought meant something at some time.

A lot of people die just over words.
0 Replies