the religion you disagree with most - no comments please

Setanta

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 07:27 am
Hypocrisy is the stock in trade of religionists of every description, bar none.
0 Replies

not2know

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 09:48 am
Some Quotes i found about religion :

A religion without the element of mystery would not be a religion at all. ~Edwin Lewis

All religions are the same: religion is basically guilt, with different holidays. ~Cathy Ladman

God made so many different kinds of people. Why would he allow only one way to serve him? ~Martin Buber

Most men's anger about religion is as if two men should quarrel for a lady that neither of them care for. ~George Savile, Marquess de Halifax

I considered atheism, but there weren't enough holidays. ~Author Unknown

There are three religious truths: 1) Jews do not recognize Jesus as the Messiah. 2) Protestants do not recognize the Pope as the leader of the Christian faith. 3) Baptists do not recognize each other in the liquor store or at Hooters. ~Author Unknown

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. ~Author Unknown

The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself. ~Richard Burton

Religion is a fashionable substitute for Belief. ~Oscar Wilde

Men will wrangle for religion; write for it; fight for it; die for it; anything but live for it. ~C.C. Colton

There is a story, which is fairly well known, about when the missionaries came to Africa. They had the Bible and we, the natives, had the land. They said "Let us pray," and we dutifully shut our eyes. When we opened them, why, they now had the land and we had the Bible. ~Desmond M. Tutu

The biblical account of Noah's Ark and the Flood is perhaps the most implausible story for fundamentalists to defend. Where, for example, while loading his ark, did Noah find penguins and polar bears in Palestine? ~Judith Hayes

The Bible may be the truth but it's not the whole truth and nothing but the truth. ~Samuel Butler

No man ever believes that the Bible means what it says: He is always convinced that it says what he means. ~George Bernard Shaw

source
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 09:53 am
There are three religious truths: 1) Jews do not recognize Jesus as the Messiah. 2) Protestants do not recognize the Pope as the leader of the Christian faith. 3) Baptists do not recognize each other in the liquor store or at Hooters. ~Author Unknown

not2know-- These are great.

That one above is my favorite.
0 Replies

Marquis de Carabas

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 11:15 am
Not on there...

Scientology.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 11:41 pm
Setanta wrote:
Hypocrisy is the stock in trade of religionists of every description, bar none.
So if a Christian says, "I am a sinner and I don't always do what is right. Matter of fact I fail to do right quite often."

And then he does something wrong. How is that hypocrisy?
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 03:10 pm
not2know wrote:

There is a story, which is fairly well known, about when the missionaries came to Africa. They had the Bible and we, the natives, had the land. They said "Let us pray," and we dutifully shut our eyes. When we opened them, why, they now had the land and we had the Bible. ~Desmond M. Tutu

source

this quote you posted, could have come in real handy in another thread, thats now deleted.... would have driven home my point against missionaries and missionary-ism nicely.
0 Replies

Taliesin181

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 04:54 pm
Brahmin: If I understand your point about missionaries, then I agree. I'm a firm adherent to the school of leading by example. The day you try to convert another, you're basically saying that your religion is flawed as it is: you need more people to either a) make it better, or (usually) b) Accumulate so many followers that nobody dares to speak out against the flaws in your religion. Alas, I've rarely seen a). Most people will only change their organization to enable themselves to stay in power longer.

Sanctuary: Good points on Satanism. The entire idea of someone who's purely evil is ridiculous in the first place, so by "worshipping" Satan, they're committing the triple follies of believing in pure evil, deciding pure evil is better than pure good, and then throwing that aside to "worship" their own degenerate impulses.
0 Replies

sunlover

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 06:08 pm
Jehovah's Witnesses - it isn't there.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 08:36 pm
brahmin wrote:
not2know wrote:

source

this quote you posted, could have come in real handy in another thread, thats now deleted.... would have driven home my point against missionaries and missionary-ism nicely.

Yes if only the Europeans and Americans had just left Africa alone, then Tutu would be able to live like Africans did 500 years ago before the Caucasian intrusion was felt.

Tutu rejects one form of racism to embrace another. His constant refrain of all our problems are the fault of white men and can only be remedied with green money is rather sickening.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 11:31 pm
i didnt mean to endorse the thing he said word-for-word but the drift of it....
0 Replies

Taliesin181

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 03:53 pm
Brahmin wrote:
Quote:

Heh. Nice.

Question, though. Why, on the poll, did you label Zoroastrianism as "VERY important"?

And who hates Buddhism?! That blows my mind! Explain, please.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 04:08 pm
Here's a poem by Philip Larkin, who was not, as far as I know, at all religious in any traditional sense:

Water

If I were called in
To construct a religion
I should make use of water.

Going to church
Would entail a fording
To dry, different clothes;

My litany would employ
Images of sousing,
A furious devout drench,

And I should raise in the east
A glass of water
Where any-angled light
Would congregate endlessly.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 04:56 pm
"...more people are driven insane through religious hysteria than by drinking alcohol."

w c fields
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 07:10 pm
And I suppose I could get religious about Larkin...
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 08:05 am
Taliesin181 wrote:
Brahmin wrote:
Quote:

Heh. Nice.

Question, though. Why, on the poll, did you label Zoroastrianism as "VERY important"?

And who hates Buddhism?! That blows my mind! Explain, please.

firstly i like your name very much.

i am assuming you are of celtic descent.

and you share it with not just a god but also one of the greatest architects ever.

to answer you - why zorastrianism is very important - all the more so in comparism to its miniscule number of curreent practitioners -

this could lift the fog somewhat -

http://www.zarathushtra.com/z/article/influenc.htm

http://www.infidels.org/library/magazines/tsr/1994/4/4zoroa94.html

and as for your asking who voted for buddhism - well i think ill try to make a different request to posters now -

let everyone say, as politely and civilly as possible, why he or she voted for the religion he/she did.

i'll start.

i voted for islam.

reason:

i do not so much disagree with the religion as i do with the followers of it and the carnage they have caused and in some places of the world, continue to cause, in the name of their religion and/or out of sheer intolerance for non islamic people.
the "religion" islam, i could not care less about. it can be anything it wants.
every religion is ok with me. every single person and religion can believe in any which thing they want as long as they dont try to impose it on me or try to "compare notes".

and now please, other voters, your reason is ?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 08:19 am
I disagree with any religion that takes people from divine spirituality to human extremes. Meaning, from being a loving, tolerant, accepting person to hating others who disagree with you, causing wars over beliefs, condenming people to hell....so pretty much all organized religions.
0 Replies

Taliesin181

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 12:32 pm
Thanks, brahmin. I'm fond of my name, too. Laughing

Thanks also for the links; they were very enlightening. I hadn't realized the magnitude of its influence.

As for my choice, I went with Christianity for mostly the same reason you went with Islam. I'm fine with the values it preaches, but not only is its Bible more than a little hypocritical, but a great number of its adherents feel its their duty to destroy/convert all other sects. The Schiavo incident, the rampant fundamentalism, the republicans... :wink:

But in all fairness, that's just people in general, not just Christians. Not only are there quite a few truly nice theists, but there are also more than a few annoyingly uncivil practitioners in other faiths - all faiths, for that matter. The main reason I picked Christianity beside this point is, I suppose, its growing influence in my life, against my will.

That's my reasoning.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 12:37 pm
no comment.

& you're welcome.
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 02:06 pm
which is the religion you disagree with most ?
There's a key one missing here: SECULARISM. The Supreme Court rightly defined that as a religion, too, and it's the most wide-spread religion of the West. Laughing
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 02:41 pm
Taliesin - who gave you this name if you dont mind.

the famous architect was called Taliesin by his mother.

and are you of celtic descent ??
0 Replies