America did it!...of course they did.

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 11:58 am
Quote:
Russian lake disappears, baffling villagers
19 May 2005 16:56:21 GMT

Source: Reuters

MOSCOW, May 19 (Reuters) - A Russian village was left baffled on Thursday after its lake disappeared overnight.

NTV television showed pictures of a giant muddy hole bathed in summer sun, while fishermen from the village of Bolotnikovo looked on disconsolately.

"It is very dangerous. If a person had been in this disaster, he would have had almost no chance of survival. The trees flew downwards, under the ground," said Dmitry Zaitsev, a local Emergencies Ministry official interviewed by the channel.

Officials in Nizhegorodskaya region, on the Volga river east of Moscow, said water in the lake might have been sucked down into an underground water-course or cave system, but some villagers had more sinister explanations.

"I am thinking, well, America has finally got to us," said one old woman, as she sat on the ground outside her house

See the perception the world has of America these days?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,550 • Replies: 21
No top replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 12:03 pm
...but not that I think America did it though...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 12:05 pm
LOL! Thats bizarre. Sounds like a Russian movie.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 12:08 pm
Kind of eye-popping that someone would even think "oh it's the Americans".

Yikes.

I seem to recall a story about a lake in Louisiana being sucked dry after something punctured a salt dome that was beneath it.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 12:09 pm
Re: America did it!...of course they did.
candidone1 wrote:
Quote:

MOSCOW, May 19 (Reuters) - A Russian village was left baffled on Thursday after its lake disappeared overnight.

NTV television showed pictures of a giant muddy hole bathed in summer sun, while fishermen from the village of Bolotnikovo looked on disconsolately.

"It is very dangerous. If a person had been in this disaster, he would have had almost no chance of survival. The trees flew downwards, under the ground," said Dmitry Zaitsev, a local Emergencies Ministry official interviewed by the channel.

Officials in Nizhegorodskaya region, on the Volga river east of Moscow, said water in the lake might have been sucked down into an underground water-course or cave system, but some villagers had more sinister explanations.

"I am thinking, well, America has finally got to us," said one old woman, as she sat on the ground outside her house

It wasn't that long ago when the perception of Russia by Americans wasn't so good either.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 12:14 pm
Brand X wrote:
candidone1 wrote:
Quote:

It wasn't that long ago when the perception of Russia by Americans wasn't so good either.

That's right...and remember why they weren't held in such high esteem?
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 12:19 pm
candidone1 wrote:
Brand X wrote:
candidone1 wrote:
Quote:

That's right...and remember why they weren't held in such high esteem?

Because of their history.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 12:21 pm
Just their history?
...or something to do with their history.

I don't know much about the former USSR.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 12:32 pm
candidone1 wrote:
Just their history?
...or something to do with their history.

I don't know much about the former USSR.

Yes, the old USSR, I remember when I was a kid everyone feared them...nuclear threat etc. And their brand of communism.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 12:40 pm
Yeah, that's pretty much what I know and remember.
Seems that the same is being said these days about the US and their brand of democracy, IMO
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 12:41 pm
I'm picturing it now. America has a giant pipeline that sucks the water right out of Russia!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 12:42 pm
Rest of the world better watch themselves, huh? We'll drain their lakes, dry up their rivers, and flood their picnics.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 12:42 pm
candidone1 wrote:
Yeah, that's pretty much what I know and remember.
Seems that the same is being said these days about the US and their brand of democracy, IMO

Tell that to the folks in Georgia.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 12:47 pm
roger wrote:
Rest of the world better watch themselves, huh? We'll drain their lakes, dry up their rivers, and flood their picnics.

Yeah, it's like a giant straw with a big fat American mouth at the other end of it. We just go about sucking everyone dry. Oh, the image is killing me.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 12:50 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
roger wrote:

Yeah, it's like a giant straw with a big fat American mouth at the other end of it. We just go about sucking everyone dry. Oh, the image is killing me.

Laughing

Ross Perot-"You hear that giant suckin' sound?"
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 12:54 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
I'm picturing it now. America has a giant pipeline that sucks the water right out of Russia!
California is in need of water and they can't get any more from the Colorado river.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 12:57 pm
Hey, now we're guilty of things we didn't do! Yay!

Yes, I'm sure our presumed innocence in stealing their lake compares with their country's absolute guilt in running the Gulag forced labor camps, where they sent the political and religious dissenters. Clever of you to see that.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 05:21 am
Memo to America:

Don't bother with us in Oz, we've only got salt lakes so please direct your pipeline thingie to wet Europe Very Happy
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 06:05 am
What about the trees falling? What were they talking about? Were the trees in the lake and fell due to the draining?

OR

Was it CODEBORG?????
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 06:11 am
Seriously, I'd check with Roger.

Something is kinda fishy... http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=52058&highlight=
0 Replies