Height: Women/Men?

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 11:10 pm
(laughing, smorgs...)
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 11:11 pm
osso, the eye isn't mine - not enough mascara. Why I started a threas saying 'this eye isn't mine' :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 11:14 pm
Ahhh. Now I'll check that out.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 11:40 pm
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 11:44 pm
I've seen it extra....you are a very handsome man.
For some reason I thought you're still around college age...
you're not! Wink
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 11:45 pm
Small excerpt from a fascinating article about the history of height...

http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?040405fa_fact
Quote:
earns a hundred and sixty-six thousand dollars moreAmericans haven't grown taller in fifty years.

Okay, I'll stop pester spec'ing and go away now...

PS - extra medium, your link is so long that it blows this webpage out really wide!
Might you consider editting that post, using tinyurl.com to shorten it?
Or maybe use BBcode to give it a short title: "[url=SomeLongURL ]ShortTitle[ /url]"
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 11:47 pm
Quote:
The Germans and other Europeans went on to grow an extra two centimetres.....

That explains why I'm taller Wink
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 11:51 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
I've seen it extra....you are a very handsome man.
For some reason I thought you're still around college age...
you're not! Wink

Thank you.

Thats pretty funny. People thought I was a college aged girl!

what the hellllll?

Okayyyyy...now I have material to think about tonight, not to mention enough issues to make oh about 200 new topics here.

My best friend (who I've known since like age 8) lives in San Diego...sometimes I go there to visit him. We go hiking, etc. out in the desert...pretty fun.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 11:52 pm
Codeborg, that is some great info...

reading...
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 11:54 pm
Well, we're looking forward to your next topics.

For now I say good night, I need some well deserved sleep.

Good Night! Wink
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 11:56 pm
smorgs wrote:
I thought you were a woman - because you post like a BIG GIRL'S BLOUSE...as we say here in manchester.

Only joking...I don't know why... I just made an assumption, maybe your posts are just too eloquent, insightful, measured and spelled right! Therefore...you are woman.

But now I know, I won't PM you about my periods!

A BIG GIRL'S BLOUSE???

ooohhh boy--I guess I asked for it. See, try to be a nice guy, and here's what you get: No more mr. nice guy! --->

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-big3.htm

"[Q] From Colin Alexander, New Zealand: "Big girl's blouse. How did this extraordinary pejorative come about? It is usually applied to males and seems to mean a milquetoast, but how?"
[A] For those in other parts of the English-speaking world who have never heard of this astonishing idiom, let me explain that it is heard now quite widely in Britain (and elsewhere, too, it seems), though it originated in the North of England.
I've been vaguely dreading somebody asking this question, because it is one of a set of Northern idioms that are quite impenetrable in their origins. Others are the exclamation of surprise, "well, I'll go to the foot of our stairs!" and the dismissive "all mouth and trousers".
People do indeed use it to mean an ineffectual or effeminate male, a weakling, though it is often used in a bantering or teasing way rather than as an out-and-out insult ("You can't drink Coke in a pub, you big girl's blouse!"; "Blokes who don't take on dares are big girl's blouses"). The American milquetoast isn't quite equivalent (since it has a greater emphasis on meekness rather than on an unmanly nature), but it's close.
It seems to have been first noticed in the 1960s. The first example in print we know of is from 1969, in a script of the British ITV network sitcom Nearest and Dearest (which ran from 1969 to 1972). This starred Jimmy Jewel as Eli Pledge and Hylda Baker as his spinster sister Nellie, who inherit a pickle-bottling factory in Colne, Lancashire. It was rough-and-ready northern humour, of the type conventionalised as gritty, and full of innuendo (plus malapropisms from Nellie).
It has been suggested that Hylda Baker invented the phrase in her stage act. If she didn't, where big girl's blouse came from is likely to remain a mystery. Coincidentally, Brian Edmondson e-mailed me to comment that his Liverpudlian father, who died in 1979, always said "he's flapping like a big girl's blouse". This conjures up an image of ineffectualness that is plausible as a extended idea from which the current version could have derived.
Other than that, your guess is as good as mine ..."
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 12:05 am
good night...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 12:06 am
I've never thought of you quite that way..
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 12:14 am
ossobuco wrote:

Thanks--I think? Evil or Very Mad

But anyway, from now on I'm writin like Heminway or Kerouac or Jack London.
----
(shift)

screw em.

The only person I'll write flowery to from now on is my fellow understanding mystic, JLN.
(shift)

to everyone else, its a blunt almost rude minimalist Hemingway/London sprinkled with a Kerouac that cant be bothered with punctuation

only problem is i dont have the skill for that so it will probably read like a 3rd grade kids stuff

screw em.

and to be called a big girl's blouse by a friggin englishlady no less! hey i can be a big dumb ugly male merikan like the best of em Evil or Very Mad Drunk Evil or Very Mad Drunk Evil or Very Mad im part irish too smorg, can you keep up? Evil or Very Mad Drunk Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 12:16 am
Yeh, well, me too on the Irish.
You picked some good company, re JLN.
G'night.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 12:19 am
Well see thats another thing we agree on. g'nite!
0 Replies

tcis

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 12:59 am
extra medium wrote:
ossobuco wrote:

Thanks--I think? Evil or Very Mad

But anyway, from now on I'm writin like Heminway or Kerouac or Jack London.
----
(shift)

screw em.

The only person I'll write flowery to from now on is my fellow understanding mystic, JLN.
(shift)

to everyone else, its a blunt almost rude minimalist Hemingway/London sprinkled with a Kerouac that cant be bothered with punctuation

only problem is i dont have the skill for that so it will probably read like a 3rd grade kids stuff

screw em.

and to be called a big girl's blouse by a friggin englishlady no less! hey i can be a big dumb ugly male merikan like the best of em Evil or Very Mad Drunk Evil or Very Mad Drunk Evil or Very Mad im part irish too smorg, can you keep up? Evil or Very Mad Drunk Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil

EM!

Don't go into your shell dude! I for one enjoy reading your posts.

Spiritual seekers are often mistaken for Big Girls Blouses and "milquetoast" and all that. Some would throw Dalai Lama & Buddha, & Gandhi & perhaps Jesus into that box....don't worry about it. Really--think about that.

Keep the faith & keep posting yer crap--some good & sometimes hilarious stuff man!
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 01:45 am
dang tcis you got me smilin as big as yer avatar.

thanks!
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 03:40 am
e.m.

The "big girl's blouse" expression was used by myself in a post to dear Lola about a month back.I was amazed that it flummoxed her.It is common here in the Yucky.It denotes a sort of rugby playing mummy's boy.Tough exterior but as soft as those loose white blouses on 46 double D cup girls underneath if you know what I mean!It wouldn't normally be used about somebody obviously effeminate.

I never heard of "milquetoast".
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 08:33 am
Thank you for the explanation spendius.
I never heard of it and was too tired to ask last night.

Yes, extra M we all like to read you Wink
0 Replies