Height: Women/Men?

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 06:15 pm
Women often accuse men of being overly concerned by looks and thus--shallow. But some of these same women will say things like: "Oh I would never consider dating a man unless he was at least 5'10" (Or fill in your favorite number).

A few weeks ago I went on a date with a woman. Prior to the date, we talked on the phone. During the phone conversation, she asked me 3 times to make sure I was over 6 feet tall. By the third time, I didn't really want to meet her anymore. I mean, just reverse it: lets say I asked her 3 times what her bra size was. I would be thought to be an animal!

Who is shallow?

I feel sorry for the shorter guys out there. I mean, they could have the greatest personality, be loyal, smart, great job, love them forever--and there seems to be a whole class of women that just won't consider them simply based on their height. My question is: Why do some women prefer tall men?

Is this simply a mammal thing, and the female mammal wants to be with a dominant mammal?

But not so fast. Its more than just a societal dominance thing. You would think that a 5'0" guy that owns several companies would be considered more dominant than the 6'2" accountant that works for him.

But many women even go as far as to say they'd rather date a tall poor guy with blah personality over a short rich guy with great personality. I don't get it.

We could say it dates back to prehistoric days, but even that seems problematic. In many tribes it is the smartest and most socially adept that lead the tribe, not necessarily the tallest at all. So where does this tall thing come from?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,252 • Replies: 72
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 06:35 pm
Hmmm.

Maybe she wanted to wear heels so you would think she had a nice ass and she wanted to be sure she wouldn't tower over you.

I think all men and women have some weird criteria for their mate.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 06:47 pm
My first and, looking back, best lover was (is) 5'3", and I am 5' 6". That has influenced my viewpoint on height over the years. I do remember suddenly buying some low heeled shoes, but that was long ago and I wouldn't do that now. So not all women are as specific about tallth (my word) as your recent date.

Who really understands the basis of attraction? Maybe Dad was tall, maybe pheromones run up one's nose, maybe women choose for offspring survival. Sophia Loren, one of the century's most beautiful women, according to many, was married to a quite short man, Carlo Ponti, a film producer. He seems to have been a happy choice.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 08:22 pm
I just realized this is in philosophy and debate - I am not particularly philosophical about this, nor wishing to debate...
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 09:22 pm
You changed your initial posting extra.....

Hm, I'm 5'9" and with heels aroung 6 feet tall, so if my
date was 5'2" I just would wear flat shoes.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 09:26 pm
Ah, yes, I was answering the initial post...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 09:29 pm
I like the fact that i can rest my chin on the top of my sweetiepie's head when i get tired at a public event.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 09:31 pm
There. Chinrestness.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 09:36 pm
Sentanta, what's the height difference between the two
of you?
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 10:07 pm
For proper spooning, IMO, the man needs to be about six inches taller than the woman,
three inches longer in the arms, and especially wider in the shoulders.

It's important to establish a good fit before engaging in healthy and compatible snoozing relationships.

Other evolutionary specifications from
http://annierichards.tripod.com/bodysize.htm
Quote:
half of all women are shorter than the shortest 2% of all men.
Also 85% of women are shorter than the shortest 13.1% of men.

Interesting Findings:
Men are on average 4.34 inches taller then women
Women have longer torso's (35.2% of height vs. 34.4%)
Men are leggier, if looked at from the crotch (48.3% vs. 46.5%)
Women are leggier if looked at from the waist (62.3% vs. 60.7%)
Men have longer thigh's (17.7% vs. 17.0%) and longer calves (30.5% vs. 29.5%)
Women have bigger heads then men, relative to height

Still looking for measurements re: napping attitude, turnover rate, or snoring.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 10:12 pm
Haha Codeborg Laughing

I hate spooning, and I nap with pleasure in the afternoon.
Snoring? Not yet!

Compatibility: Zero! Smile
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 10:12 pm
Calamity & Oss,

Sorry, I was trying to improve the post by making it briefer. (Should do that offline before I post it...I know).

Anyway, I re-posted the original posting that you were referring to so that the rest of the thread isn't out of context. Proofreading the original posting, I don't like parts of it now, but oh well--see what people have to say.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 10:16 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Sentanta, what's the height difference between the two
of you?

Well, about 8 or ten inches i suppose. The mean ol' web site says i don't have access to the gallery, but there was a picture posted there of us holding the dogs (Swimpy took it) when we went to Madison for the a2k meet in October of '03. If you can get into the gallery, you could look at it. Top of her head just about reaches my shoulder.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 10:18 pm
CalamityJane wrote:

Hm, I'm 5'9" and with heels aroung 6 feet tall, so if my
date was 5'2" I just would wear flat shoes.

Just wondering: Why do you think you would be moved to do this? Smile
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 10:19 pm
Littlek has a picture of ehbeth and Setanta together. She's normal. He is a giant.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 10:22 pm
Hehe, thanks roger. Sentanta, I don't have access to the
gallery (I believe it's closed). How would you feel if it were
reversed and you were shorter than ehbeth?

Thanks for reposting the original post extra. Why I would
wear flat shoes? To make him feel better Wink
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 10:23 pm
Huh-uh . . .

On this page is a picture from the Abuzz meet in Salem in 2001. The Sweetiepie Girl and I are in the middle.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 10:24 pm
Long as she treats me right, i don't care . . .
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 10:25 pm
CalamityJane wrote:

Thanks for reposting the original post extra. Why I would
wear flat shoes? To make him feel better Wink

Interesting.

So it wouldn't be to make yourself feel better at all? It would be because you were thinking about his feelings?

(I'm not trying to ask this sarcastically, I'm just truly interested in the interpersonal psychology behind this...)
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 10:26 pm
Setanta wrote:
Huh-uh . . .

On this page is a picture from the Abuzz meet in Salem in 2001. The Sweetiepie Girl and I are in the middle.

awwwww...that's a great picture. ehbeth is looking up to you and
you're standing there mighty proud to be "THE man". Nice!
0 Replies