copies of the bible are distributed in baghdad....

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 11:12 am
copies of the bible are distributed in baghdad under the protection of american hummersCopies of the Bible are distributed in Baghdad under the protection of American Hummers (in Arabic, my translation) May 18, 2005
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,145 • Replies: 7
No top replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 10:52 pm
Re: copies of the bible are distributed in baghdad....
not2know wrote:
An assembly of Sunni and Shiite Imams, with the assistance of the locals, collected all of these Bibles, put them in a pile and burned them. All the Bibles were burned by 10 in the morning. The reporter kept a copy of one of the Bibles (a picture below).

What, there were no toilets available? Clearly, these imams don't understand the value of irony.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 10:57 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
not2know wrote:
An assembly of Sunni and Shiite Imams, with the assistance of the locals, collected all of these Bibles, put them in a pile and burned them. All the Bibles were burned by 10 in the morning. The reporter kept a copy of one of the Bibles (a picture below).

What, there were no toilets available? Clearly, these imams don't understand the value of irony.

To get angry about the non-flushing of the Quran and then turn around and burn bibles with the next breath is a joke. I guess the do as I say and not as I do saying is a key factor in their beliefs..
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 11:10 pm
It's a cultural difference. Bibles can be thrown into the street by Christian believers but a Qu'ran can't be treated in that way by Muslim believers. I suppose that the Muslims figured that if the Christian believers could trash the Bibles then it didn't matter if they were burned.

Aside from it this sort of proselytising is just asking for trouble. I have no idea if this was a bootleg operation or it was officialy sanctioned but either way it's not the smartest move to make.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 12:33 am
goodfielder wrote:
...Aside from it this sort of proselytising is just asking for trouble. I have no idea if this was a bootleg operation or it was officialy sanctioned but either way it's not the smartest move to make.

It's about as smart as throwing oil on a fire.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 09:57 am
The funny thing to me, is that Christianity has existed in Iraq since, well, the beginning of Christianity. It's not like they don't know about it.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 10:18 am
Perhaps the Arabs-in-the-Suk confused the Bibles with the American Flag and wanted to dispose of the unwanted scripture with respect?

Or perhaps they wanted to sterilize litter?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 10:24 am
Baldimo wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
not2know wrote:

To get angry about the non-flushing of the Quran and then turn around and burn bibles with the next breath is a joke. I guess the do as I say and not as I do saying is a key factor in their beliefs..

I think that the American word is retaliation.

I, in way, condone any of this but you do not have proof that there was no flushing. As others have pointed out, the Quran and the Bible do not have the same meaning. According to the story, the bibles were tossed into the streets by "unknown sources" <here we go again>. If these "unknown sources" had not distributed the bibles, thus causing the people to act in anger, they would not have had bibles to burn.

As a believer, I am not offended or about to go off the deep end because some bibles got burned. After all, more bibles are worn out by thumping than by reading.
0 Replies