Republicans turn pro choice

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 11:58 am
GOP colleagues in the Colorado House stated, in support of a concealed weapons bill "young women should have the option of carrying guns on college campuses." Rep Terrance Carroll D-Denver responded "I'm glad to see the Republicans are now pro-choice." Wink
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 989 • Replies: 17
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 12:37 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 01:00 pm
What is wrong with freedom of possession of guns? Prohibition of such a thing will be only in favor of criminals: they possess weapons even in the countries where the general public cannot get arms license. And the loyal citizens will have no means to defend themselves when there is no police officer around in the moment they get attacked. And women, surely, should have equal rights in this aspect, just as in any other.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 01:58 pm
Oh? Because only young women are victims of violent crime?
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 02:01 pm
Well, young women seem more vulnerable than young men.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 02:42 pm
Just watching for now.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 02:44 pm
Gezzy catches flies and releases them outdoors. Unlikely to be packing.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 02:58 pm
Wink
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 03:13 pm
hahaha Roger. That's just on my good days. On my bad days, I yell at them before I open the door and let them out, so I can get pretty brutal sometimes you know!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 03:43 pm
I was thinking of the episode with the deer in the garden, of course, Gezzy.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 04:17 pm
LOL Roger. Yup, I chased them off real good ;-)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 04:53 pm
steissd, I think the issue is less about whether young women need guns as the inconsistency of the Republican position. The government should not interfere with a woman's right to choose to bear arms (or not), they say, but the government should interfere with a woman's right to choose to bear children (or not.)
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 05:31 pm
Sozobe, women's decision whether to bear children or not may have nothing to do with abortion. As far as I know, contraceptives are not prohibited in the USA.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 05:37 pm
A) Most contraceptives are not 100% effective, even when used correctly, B), people become pregnant under circumstances in which contraceptives are not a factor, such as rape, and C) the internal logic is lacking in the Republican's position -- to be "pro-choice" in one circumstance (guns) but not another (abortion.)
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 05:47 pm
Well, abortion is a somewhat dubiuos thing (IMHO), and there are different approoaches to this issue. It implies killing a living creature. Self-defense right is under no doubt.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 06:03 pm
I would say that allowing people to carry concealed weapons is a somewhat dubious thing. Who is allowed, and who isn't? What if a nice, young, meek, vulnerable woman has a gun because she doesn't know how to protect herself otherwise, and an assailant gets to the gun before she does? What if a nice, young, meek, vulnerable woman stops taking her medication and suddenly, while sitting in class one day, becomes convinced that her professor is Satan and it's up to her to save the Earth?

Both of these issues -- abortion, gun control -- are certainly complicated, and could be (and have been) debated ad infinitum. I just wanted to point out what I see as the central issue, (consistency or lack thereof in the Republican position), and am satisfied that I've done so.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 06:10 pm
Sozobe
I agree completely with you there. What if this sweet young gal just caught her boyfriend with another girl? Etc... There are so many situations I can think of that makes me think this would be a very bad idea.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 06:39 pm
sozobe Wink
0 Replies