Headshot? Cash?

sozobe

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 11:20 am
I've been in full job-search mode the last couple of weeks, really want to find something part time and home-based to get a little income. We're just too close to the edge, want to have some breathing room. Have lost track of how many applications I've sent out, just got a response. It's a simple home-based data entry sort of job, 6-10 hours a week, hardly my dream job but fine.

Guy wants me to start working tonight or tomorrow, wants a headshot, and says he'll pay cash.

:-?

Found it on Craigslist.

What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,156 • Replies: 39
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 11:36 am
I don't like it. I sent back a somewhat skeptical response (without headshot), will see what he has to say to that.

I actually have only been doing the application carpet-bombing for two days, before that I applied for a single job that looked good and waited on tenterhooks 'til I heard back. (No. Grr.) Hopefully I'll be getting more responses.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 11:42 am
Sounds suspect to me too. Why would they want a headshot? - especially for some one working at home. It could be some looney looking for pretty girls - it could be especially scary if he gets some addresses. Wouldn't want him to show up at my doorstop.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 11:44 am
Yep.

He said he wanted to interview in person, and he's in Virginia, so I said uh no can do.

Meanwhile, anyone have any experience with Craigslist? Lots of job listings there, I've applied to about 12 in the last couple of days, that's the only response I've gotten so far. Typical? Just hold my horses?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 11:45 am
Why would he need a headshot?
DON'T DO IT.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 12:03 pm
Yeah, already said no.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 12:05 pm
Why would it matter what you look like if you're doing data entry?!

Whoa...red light flashing!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 12:06 pm
A very wise choice, imo. There must be a legitimate job out there for you soz.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 12:09 pm
Of course there is. Just don't let anxiousness overrule common sense
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 12:12 pm
It scares me to think some poor unsuspecting sole falls prey to something like this simply because she may need a job badly. I pray he is just some mild pervert and not something more serious.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 12:20 pm
Agree with the others -- your suspicions are justified. You can find a local data entry type thing for that many hours, more than likely.

I've seen postings on craigslist but never responded to any. When I'm doing the job search I usually check out sites that are related to what I'm looking for. I realize that's more difficult if you're looking for part time anything. Can EG check at the university (major assumption I'm making from previous conversations) if they need some part time help?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 12:24 pm
For Soz to work at the University, even in an "extra help" category, she would be obliged to take and pass a civil service examination. Then she would be competing for positions with others who recieved extra credit on the examination for being in designated categories. I took the c.s. exam there, and got extra credit as a veteran, and still ended up so far down on the applicant list that jobs would be filled before i came up for an interview.

She might be able to do it, but altogether, the rigidity of the employment structure likely would not fit in with her scheduling needs, even if she were able to surmount the other difficulties.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 12:26 pm
Yep, that was the first round. Lots of promising "I'll see what I can do"s, but nothing came of it, so this is the second round.

This one was actually about the least interesting one I applied for, just now applied for something that looks really cool. Probably 50% of the now 20 or something jobs I've applied for look interesting, the rest are OK but doable and home-based, which is important.

Today, for the first time, I'm applying to ones that were just posted (before that I've been applying to whatever, up to a month old), so hoping the fresh ones yield more responses/ interest.

We'll see.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 02:15 pm
I'll keep my fingers crossed. Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 02:26 pm
Damn those VA people...they are wierd. Soz, did you try employmentguide.com? they specialize in listings for hourly work as opposed to something like careerbuilder or monster who target more those looking for full time. just a thought.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 04:11 pm
Thanks, dragon!

I've gotten a few more responses, nothing finalized yet by a long shot but starting to get more optimistic that something halfway decent will materialize. On the other hand, with me, optimism goes before a fall, so who knows.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 04:25 pm
I just checked out employmentguide.com, thanks. Strangely, it doesn't have either of the two categories I'm most interested in -- editing and writing. So I looked around a bit but nothing seemed to be the sort of thing I'm looking for.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 05:43 pm
Agreeing with the others, but this is a really great opportunity. If you ever want to find all you need to know about "corporate culture", just see how they treat job applicants.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 06:16 pm
Yeah, it's definitely weird to be on the application side of things. Prolly good perspective, like a doctor getting sick. A good number of my jobs so far have been network-based -- I'm doing one job and someone I've worked with from another agency asks me to apply... I tried to keep that network up with volunteering in Chicago, and was asked to apply for a few full-time jobs (didn't want to do full-time then or now), but am pretty out of the loop these days. So, the application process. Ick.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 06:16 pm
Soz, we've hired some free lance people off of craigslist with great success so I know its not all psychos.
0 Replies