One-term presidents, what does it take?

Mon 3 Jun, 2019 09:43 am
Lots of people want President Trump to become a one-term president, but does Trump have the record to support him getting fired?

1) Has he failed to deliver court appointments to pro-lifers?
2) Has he failed to put full effort into borders and trade?
3) Has he failed at tax reform?
4) Has he failed at repealing ACA?

The reasons people would have to reject him thus have to do with our failure as a society to achieve greatness, i.e. by generating the ideas, goals, and actions that would lead to sustainability, universal health and affordable health care, economic prosperity, peaceful coexistence in a respectful, constructive democratic society.

We bicker, waste resources, fail to reform our personal/household choices, fail to take our own health into our own hands, fail to reject overpriced health care providers and pharmaceuticals, etc.

Why do we think we can regulate a society/economy that harms us when we give all our power to those companies in the form of money and then vote for the government on the basis of whether it will allow the economy to make more money?

We think that money will solve all our problems, yet we complain about the harm caused when we fund powerful corporations with our spending.

Brandon9000

Wed 2 Oct, 2019 06:51 pm
@livinglava,
You've made this so abstract that I'm not sure I can tell what you're getting at. Surely, you can speak more directly than this.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Wed 2 Oct, 2019 07:36 pm
@livinglava,
I don't want Trump to be a one-term president. I would like to see him get less than that.

He is a corrupt buffoon.
roger

Wed 2 Oct, 2019 07:55 pm
@livinglava,
A one term president hasn't been fired. We just didn't renew his contract.

Firing would mean he were impeached and convicted.
livinglava

Thu 3 Oct, 2019 03:47 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

A one term president hasn't been fired. We just didn't renew his contract.

Firing would mean he were impeached and convicted.

It doesn't matter what you call it, it comes down to the Democratic party eschewing the duty to listen to and respect dissenting views.

They have a system for deciding who to listen to and who to ignore, and if they decide to ignore/squelch you, they are not going to allow any notion of democracy to interfere with their self-justified prerogative.

How long do you think they can go on with such an anti-democratic approach to democracy and get away with it? How long do you think people will just keep accepting them refusing to listen to and cooperate with others who don't share their POV and/or partisan ideological plan for determining history and removing obstructions for doing so, such as Trump?
maxdancona

Thu 3 Oct, 2019 05:35 am
@livinglava,
You really don't understand free speech at all.
Brandon9000

Sat 5 Oct, 2019 10:41 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
You really don't understand free speech at all.

This comment is pretty much just an ad hominem attack. It is not only about the content of the post you are replying to, but also about the poster. Moreover, you don't justify it by pointing out anything in his post that is wrong or saying how it is wrong.
maxdancona

Sun 6 Oct, 2019 07:41 am
@Brandon9000,
Whether this is an "ad hominem attack" is an interesting question.... let's analyze.

1) I am responding to his posts, it is the contents of his posts on this thread that are causing me to conclude that he doesn't understand what free speech means.

2) However, I am making a statement about his mental state that could be applied to any other post he makes about free speech. I suppose this counts as a personal attack. However, in my defense, a lack of understanding can be corrected. I am saying he should learn what the term means... I am not suggesting a mental defect.

However, I guess I stand corrected... I was wrong to write that. So, how to fix this..

I think I meant to say....

"Your posts have nothing to do with what free speech really is."

I am trying to make the point that when LivingLava talks about "free speech" in this post and in others... it has nothing to do with what Free Speech really means.

He is misusing the principle of "free speech".
0 Replies

Real Music

Sun 6 Oct, 2019 10:54 am
@livinglava,
Quote:
Lots of people want President Trump to become a one-term president, but does Trump have the record to support him getting fired?

1. After his first term ends, the voters will decide if they want to renew his term for another four years or if there is someone else that they prefer instead.

2. Also, just as Roger posted, Firing would mean he were impeached and convicted.

3. So, firing any president in the United States is virtually impossible.
Real Music

Sun 6 Oct, 2019 11:11 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
I don't want Trump to be a one-term president. I would like to see him get less than that.
Although that would be virtually impossible, I too believe he should be impeached and convicted.

Quote:
He is a corrupt buffoon.
That is so true.
0 Replies

livinglava

Sun 6 Oct, 2019 11:16 am
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

Quote:

1. After his first term ends, the voters will decide if they want to renew his term for another four years or if there is someone else that they prefer instead.

2. Also, just as Roger posted, Firing would mean he were impeached and convicted.

3. So, firing any president in the United States is virtually impossible.

What are you talking about that amounts to more than semantics?

Impeaching or voting out Trump because you want to see him as a one or two term president is an idiotic, ad hominem reason to vote.

If you vote, it should be based on what you want to achieve for the greater good, not with regards to Donald Trump.
Real Music

Sun 6 Oct, 2019 11:26 am
@livinglava,
Quote:
If you vote, it should be based on what you want to achieve for the greater good, not with regards to Donald Trump.

1. In my opinion, Donald Trump needs to be voted out of office for the greater good of the country.

2. In my opinion, a democrat needs to be voted into office for the greater good of the country.

3. I have already on many occasions articulated my reasons for my opinions on many different threads.
livinglava

Sun 6 Oct, 2019 01:49 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

1. In my opinion, Donald Trump needs to be voted out of office for the greater good of the country.

That's because in your mind, removing people that obstruct single-party governance is good even if it is anti-democratic.

Quote:
2. In my opinion, a democrat needs to be voted into office for the greater good of the country.

And is there any level of GOP presence in government you can tolerate? Just enough to make it look like the Democratic party doesn't have absolute power, for example?
0 Replies

panther2020

Fri 29 May, 2020 01:10 am
@livinglava,
Since 1900 there have only been four, Taft, Hoover, Carter, and H.W. Bush, all total losers. That's about what it takes.
0 Replies