cashier...is it difficult??

imane

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 01:29 pm
hi
i'm gonna work as a cashier in the cafeteria for Compass Group of Canada, but i've never did that before

so can u help with this?what should i say to the customers?will i need to do calculations?which kind of preblems could face me?

it's my first job nd i wanna be as brilliant as in my studies ;-)

Thank u for ur help Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 841 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 01:34 pm
You will not likely need to do caluculations. Modern cash registers will have a variety of keys you will need to learn, but it should not be difficult for you. The most important aspect of your job will be the manner in which you deal with the public. Given the resolutely polite nature of the Canadian public, that shouldn't be a problem. I think you really have nothing to worry about--first job jitters will go away quickly enough. Remember to be scrupulously polite and honest, and you should have no problems.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 01:38 pm
It's easy. As long as you know how to count back change, you're all set.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 02:30 pm
Modern cash registers can be a beast to operate till you get the hang of each model.

One pointer on what to say to customers: if you're not in a position to fix problems, DO NOT ask if everything was okay. It only encourages them to find fault.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 02:42 pm
It's easily handled. One thing to be aware of is while the cash register will calculate the change due back to the customer, you'll get customer's that will try and be helpful and hand you extra change after you've already rung in the money they first handed you. ("Oh, I've got 4 pennies.") While you may be taken aback initially, because you are relying on the cash register after all, after a few times of that happening, you won't have any trouble.

As far as dealing with customers, just be friendly and polite. :wink:
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 02:49 pm
When a customer gives you money, put it ON the cash register and then give change. Wait a few seconds before putting their money into the register because if they dispute the change you give, you can point to the note they gave you. For example I handed a $20 bill to a cashier. He gave me change of $10, leaving me short $10. He insisted I only gave him $10 but I knew I hadn't because I just got the $20 out of the ATM. If he had kept my $20 sitting on the register he would have known I told the truth. And vice versa, a customer cannot rip you off by suggesting they gave a larger note than you remember because it is set aside until the change has been given and accepted by the customer.
0 Replies