The Real War: United States Vs. European Union

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 01:51 pm
Thanks, just returned from overseas - ehem, the UK Laughing

olk: we missed you Exclamation
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 02:08 pm
oak, i agree that too much uniformity would be only to a great harm to europe. the bigger problem than eu though, sorry guys, seems to be the american culture making its way across the globe. that is not to blame anyone, just a statement of a fact. i myself do not mind going to a brainless hollywood movie every now and then and even having a good ol' burger in a mcdonald (one of my vices, trying to keep it on a leash). i do start minding it when national movie industry (speaking of movies) cannot make it even on a domestic market, for they are just not able to pull it off in competition to mega-productions, or similar instances. when the 'authentic' is being killed for the uniform, the big, the international or whatnot is stronger and easier to assert. and that surely is to some extent the case with the growth of european union. but, i am not sure whether the eu impedes the local politics and regional culture. i think in many cases it was quite contrary. scotland, for once, had received a great deal of attention and money from the european structural fund and the council of europe's regional development funds (along with Basque regions, some poor regions in Portugal, etc., etc.) and was able to put them to much use - especially towards the development of regional and local structures. The British public administrative system has been changed so many times just within the past hundred years, especially in Southern England, and many districts (not sure of the official name of administrative units) are literally at the state of war with each other due to shifting boundaries, monetary issues and competencies. I don't claim I know nearly enough to make statements of any kind, but my impression was that the British administrative units were actually better off with the strengthening of the 'Europe of Regions' program in the EU that is under way for the past what, 5-7 years. I may be wrong, just thinking loud.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 02:09 pm
oh, and my apology is due, oak, i have read the posts above and understood the reason for the tone of your reaction.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 02:23 pm
Hi Dagmaraka. Your last post shows that we probably have similar ideas and opinions in many aspects re; Europe. Amercan popular culture is available everywhere in the UK and most of us lap it up. The thing is we do so out of choice and pay as we go. With Brussels we are being force fed.
The Big Mac and a Coke is top of most people's junk food list.
The Hollywood extravaganza, complete with rock music and gun fire pulls in a far bigger audience than any movie from Paris or Rome. That's life in the UK. We are closer these days to the USA than we are to Europe and I for one prefer it that way. (That has nothing to do with the Iraq situation)
0 Replies

joseman500

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2003 08:01 pm
Frolic, let me tell you that yes, Spain is in that position because we joined the E.U. it has been a benefit not only for us, but also for the whole union.
I want to tell you why and then you agree or not.

Spain before being in the Union almost produced all we consumed. After joining the Union most of our old national industry had to close because products made in other EU countries where better or cheaper. At the begining we received a lot of help from the Union to rise our economy but we also raised the others members economy since we buy their products but we dont sell many products to them. Look, an example is: Back in the 70s there was only a brand in Spain, Seat. All spaniards had to have Seat. Now Spaniards buy German, french, italian, Uk, etc... and Seat became part of VW.

My english isnt too great but I hope you understand what I mean.

I believe the EC is good for all.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 01:20 am
Welcome to A2K, joseman! Your English is better than mine (and ours is as good as that of some from the other side of the Atlantic :wink: ).

Excellent, to have a 'Spanish voice' here as well!
0 Replies

owi

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 03:22 am
jose, you're right, seat is now a subcompany of vw, nevertheless most of the seat-cars are still produced in Spain. 20 years ago very few Seat-cars were sold to Germany, Italy, France, etc.. Today Seats are sold to the whole EU and the Spaniards are buying EU-Cars too. So all the sides have gained some profit.

In my opinion the European Union does a very good job. Within few decades it tied people like Germany or France together, which were enemies for many centuries. I think the burocracy is not that bad in the EU. Often burocracy is only a bad argument for conservative and right-wing parties/people for losing some power at national level.

Now with the enlargement of the EU many economical non-powerful countries enter the EU. They will get economic aid from the countries, which are already part of the European Union. They deserve this economic aid. To regard them as beggars is the wrong attitude. Therefore I don't like expressions like frolics "This has to do with respect for the hand that feeds you." I see the EU as a Social System on a higher/national level. The rich ones have the duty to support the poor ones. The duty of the poor countries is not to say "Yes" to everything the payers want but their duty is to make the right reforms and become economical strong enough to stand on their own feet in a near future.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 01:30 pm
Interesting article from The Pravda(Russia)

European Union Stands Up toAmerican Corporations

05/08/2003 20:02

It seems that Old Europe's intention to play a more independent role in the world is not a momentary caprice or an intensification of a suppressed inferiority complex. The USA has managed to threaten France and Germany with a boycott and some economic punishment, while the European Union found an opportunity to crack down on the superpower with the help of subtlety in the field of international trade, which brings incredible profits to American companies. Everything is legal about it.

It became known today that the WTO allowed the European Union to introduce trade sanctions against the United States. Such a decision looks astounding against the background of the situation, when the whole world is waiting for the USA to overcome its crisis with the help of Iraqi oil. Yet, the Old Word is famous for its pragmatism and craftiness, so it gave a reminder that one should not ignore its outdated ambitions.

What was the reason for EU officials to make such an amazing decision? American export laws stipulate considerable benefits for large USA-based exporters. American companies, such as Microsoft, Walt Disney or Boeing, obtain extra-large profits with the help of those benefits. This seems to be totally illegal for Europe. American administrative bodies do not pay attention to the fact that American companies conduct their business operations through their own divisions in offshore zones, paying decreased export duties. Analysts at the European committee believe that American companies have unfair advantages over their European competitors. It goes without saying that this cannot but raise indignation.

The Europeans made up a list of 95 categories of American goods which would have additional duties of up to 100 percent imposed on them. The BBC reported that the list includes practically all the goods that the USA delivers on the world market: from oranges to nuclear reactors. Afterward, EU spokespeople addressed the World Trade Organization; one could say that they gave it an ultimatum. The WTO completely acknowledged the correctness of the indignant Europeans. Later on, the European Committee gave a trade ultimatum to the USA, which could be called a Euro-Atlantic knockdown. Analysts acknowledge that, if sanctions come into effect, it would be the most massive pressure on the American economy in the WTO's history.

Nevertheless, Europe gave the USA some time to reconcile with its transoceanic allies and partners. At the end of the day, a poor peace is always better than a good quarrel. EU Trade Commissioner Pascal Lamy told reporters that the European Committee would hold a review of the actual trade issue in the fall of the current year. If the situation does not change in accordance with European recommendations, the sanctions will be put into effect. In this case, the USA is at risk of losing up to four billion dollars every year.

European media report that the American administration is ready to make some concessions about it now. It is possible to understand President Bush: The American president, the victor, would be brought down by the WTO's and EU's ultimatum. It goes without saying that such a thing is out of the question: George W. Bush is going to remain US president for another term.

Apparently, the correction of American laws on the base of the WTO's decision does not bring any honor to American lawmakers. In addition to that, the positions of American corporations on the world market will worsen. On the other hand, if the USA ignores Old Europe's requirements, American exports might face a very serious threat. The USA has problems in exports and in the economy on the whole, so 100 percent duties on American goods will become a disaster that might lead to a considerable devaluation of the dollar. Furthermore, American lawmakers fear that the Europeans might go even further and ask for a cancellation of all duties on all kinds of European steel. The WTO has already taken a pro-European position on this question: In March of the current year, the USA was forced to withdraw increased duties on 178 kinds of steel production from Europe.

The argument between the USA and the EU regarding the benefits of American companies that have divisions abroad has been going on since 1971. Such benefits allow USA-based companies to deduct up to 30 percent from taxable export sales profits. However, a protest about it was filed at the WTO only last fall, when it became known that Europe and America cannot find a common language regarding the new organization of the world.

Until recently, the USA has tried to adjust its laws to WTO norms by means of various amendments. Yet, the lobbying pressure of America's largest corporations never allowed for a resolution of the problem.

The EU's determination is not really surprising after the war in Iraq.

Pascal Lamy believes that the American law still provides exporters an opportunity to obtain illegal state grants. It seems that Old Europe is not going to stand for that any longer.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 01:44 pm
!Hola, Jose! Welcome! It's great for this ex-Almeriense (SEAT days) to FINALLY hear a Spanish voice in the forum -- and your English is just fine.

Yes, I fear the American cultural influence in Europe, but it's been there for years and years. However they may be cast (the formal European Union or any other combination of political and cultural powers), reactions to and defense from the US are much needed. I think we also need to look a little more closely at soi-disant international organizations which are more often than not American dominated groups. Anything, ANYTHING, which holds a mirror up to American attempts at hegemony are warmly welcomed by this (out of step?) Texan.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 02:09 pm
I would not consider cultural influence of the USA (especially, movies) as a negative factor. On the contrary, U.S. mass culture has strong and straightforward positive moral message. On the contrary, continental (I do not include UK) European culture often carries ambiguous and unclear moral messages, it is more decadent, and I would not consider its influence as positive. I feel difficulty in bringing examples, but this is my impression after having seen both Hollywood and continental European movies.
Regarding movies, I consider Israeli film production being of the same value as the European one. Thanks God, our films market is dominated by Americans. If the domestic movies dominated, we could be transformed into nation of nerds and schizophrenics.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 02:17 pm
steissd wrote:
I would not consider cultural influence of the USA (especially, movies) as a negative factor. On the contrary, U.S. mass culture has strong and straightforward positive moral message. On the contrary, continental (I do not include UK) European culture often carries ambiguous and unclear moral messages, it is more decadent, and I would not consider its influence as positive.

steissd

I feel really sorry to have been educated under such decadent, unmoral and ambiguous circumstances!

Shocked
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 02:36 pm
ditto. my education is so backwards, i didn't even know there was ONE continental European culture - in movies or in anything ;-)
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 02:42 pm
Of course, European cinematography is not uniform, but majority of the European movies do not carry unequivocal and straighforward positive moral message (except, maybe, some of the old Italian neorealistic films and Soviet realistic movies), unlike the American ones.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 02:43 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
ditto. my education is so backwards, i didn't even know there was ONE continental European culture - in movies or in anything ;-)

Lars Von Trier and Roberto Benigni is one and the same person, didn't you know?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 02:43 pm
Dagmar

I'm glad, you've learnt that by now (it was part of the examination to get your visa, wasn't it? :wink: ) Exclamation

Opposite to you, I'm still glued here. Sad
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 02:45 pm
steissd wrote:
Of course, European cinematography is not uniform, but majority of the European movies do not carry unequivocal and straighforward positive moral message (except, maybe, some of the old Italian neorealistic films), unlike the American ones.

American movies like American pie, Just Married, There's something about Marry,....
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 02:51 pm
I think I know what you mean, steissd, but the fairy-tale mentality of the American movie doesn't cut it for me. Morality is way more complex than that, and, let's admit it, it is not their priority either. the priority is to sell most tickets possible. $$$$$
0 Replies

owi

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 02:52 pm
"unequivocal" and not "straightforward"...isn't it disgusting?
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 02:59 pm
What is disgusting in clarity?
0 Replies

owi

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 03:04 pm
I did not say anything against clarity but life and even films are just boring if everything is clear from the beginning.
0 Replies