WHO YA KNOW OR WHAT YOU (DONT) KNOW

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 10:17 am
Hello all i was just starting this thread to see how people get their jobs. I know some people in my life that went to school and got their respective job, but I know tons more who just work cause they "got in" and in most cases, didnt go to school and don't know what their doing in the job but are semi-secure because of their connection or "in." I'm bitter because I have no connections, but I won't hate. So, how did you get your job(s), and what's your take on this. thanks in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 717 • Replies: 3
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 10:22 am
I inherited my capybara farm from my grandfather.

Call it luck.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 10:24 am
leveraged buy out
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 05:56 pm
OK, abe, I'll be serious. I got the job I have now, and the two best jobs I've had before, through a temporary agency. I was laid off (after ELEVEN YEARS with the same company!) at the end of 2002. I found that job through the temp agency, and it was a very good job while it lasted.

I tried on my own, and by going to employment agencies, with no luck. Then I went back to the temp place. They gave me a couple of short-term jobs and then an open-ended asignment that paid very well. That lasted four months (the union at the workplace wouldn't let a temp stay longer than that) and then another open-ended assignment. That was good too - I'm flexible and willing to do whatever work is needed (I figure I can do anything for a short time). That assignment ended when I had a bad fall and was hospitalized and unable to work for several weeks.

The next temp assignment was a keeper! It's for a graphics-oriented company, which is where I've spent most of my working life. My job isn't as "exalted" as it used to be because my training is lacking (but I can fix that!) but the important part is, it's a job I love. I'm good at it, and the company likes they way I do it and my work ethic (show up on time. work hard. be pleasant to everyone. do whatever it takes to advance the company -- the more they make, the more they can afford to pay you.) So when a job opened up I applied for it!

If I had been hired within the first ninety days of my temp assignment the company would have had to pay the agency a fee. But since I was there for longer than that before the job was opened for applications, there's no extra cost to the company. This can vary from situation to situation.

In summary, try temp agencies. If nothing else, you'll earn some money while you learn about different jobs and industries, and even the difference in "climate" at different firms within the same industry. You can tell your temp agency that what you're looking for is fulltime employment and they'll try to steer you to companies looking to hire. It's good for them too. You can indicate a field you'd like to work in, and while they may not always have a slot for you in that area, they will try to get you into jobs with a good fit for your experience and interests.

And you do so have connections. Do you have friends? I think you're young, looking for a beginning career, so I'll ask, do your friends have parents? Do your parents have friends? Are any of these people in a field you'd like to explore? Did you have teachers? These are a few places to start. Not many people can just make a job for you but a lot of folks are willing to help a person get ahead...

best of luck to you.
0 Replies