The US gets blamed again,even when we cant do anything

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 02:40 am
I find it interesting that the same people that demand the US butt out if other nations affairs,are now blaming us for something we didnt do and cant fix...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2005-05-11-north-korea-refugees_x.htm

"Report: U.S. help lacking for N. Korean refugees
By Barbara Slavin, USA TODAY
WASHINGTON - The Bush administration has not done enough to help North Koreans fleeing to China, who live at constant risk of exploitation and deportation, according to a new report...

...The Bush administration, the report says, is "powerless to involve itself directly in protecting North Koreans in China" but has not done enough to convince the Chinese to change their policy."

I gotta wonder,if we are "powerless" to do anything,then how is this problem our fault or our responsibility?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 910 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Chrissee

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 04:29 am
Quote:
The report, to be released today by the non-partisan advocacy group Refugees International (RI), says North Korea's totalitarian government has created a "case for refugee status as compelling as those fleeing" Cambodia's murderous Khmer Rouge regime from 1975 to 1978.

It urges China to give the migrants refugee status, grant citizenship to North Korean women married to Chinese and their children and allow the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) to send representatives to the border area.

I misssed the part where Refugees International demands the US butt out of other nations affairs, would you point it out?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 05:54 am
Whether we are getting blamed or not I do not know. However, it is time we learned to mind our own business and remember we are not the only nation in the world. Nor should we be the worlds conscience and the the righter of all wrongs. [as we see it]
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 07:41 am
It does seem unfair. What has the UN done about this?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 07:47 am
The UN hmm. Yes I have heard of them. I believe that is a debating society.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 07:54 am
I find it interesting that the America right or wrong crowd has morphed into such a bunch of little whiners. "Everytime something goes wrong you blame America. Boo Hoo."
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 08:37 am
au1929 wrote:
The UN hmm. Yes I have heard of them. I believe that is a debating society.

I suppose Bolton will gee them up, car key parties and the like. But I was being serious, isn't this the role of the UN? Annan needs kick in the arse, this is the sort of stuff he should be focused on.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 08:46 am
The only thing the members of the UN has ever been able to do as a group is condemn Israel. When it comes to solving world problems they are inept. The nations causing the disruption and their allies are voting members of the UN.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 08:49 am
au1929 wrote:
The only thing the members of the UN has ever been able to do as a group is condemn Israel. When it comes to solving world problems they are inept. The nations causing the disruption and their allies are voting members of the UN.

They only deserve our enthusiastic support to the extent that they show themselves willing to fulfil their primary purpose. The League of Nations was abandoned for a reason.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 09:00 am
au1929 wrote:

Actually, that's one thing they haven't been able to do -- US veto and all.

I'll say again, the UN is a group of nations who act when enough of them feel like it. We are a member. If we want them to do something then we ought to set about working to convince other members to get with us to do it. Otherwise, we ought to shut the f___ up about what they can and can't do.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 09:06 am
freeduck wrote
Quote:
Otherwise, we ought to shut the f___ up about what they can and can't do.

Prehaps you should take your own advise. Shocked
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 09:09 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
The League of Nations was abandoned for a reason.

Yes, principally, the refusal of the United States Senate to ratify the treaty, and Wilson's pigheaded refusal to court the Republicans in order to secure passage. Absent any credible prospect of enforcement, opera buffa clowns like Benito (Don't you love my new uniform?) Mussolini felt not the least trepidation in ignoring that institution while he went to war on black men carrying spears, with machine guns, aircraft and tanks.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 09:12 am
au1929 wrote:
freeduck wrote
Quote:
Otherwise, we ought to shut the f___ up about what they can and can't do.

Prehaps you should take your own advise. Shocked

That would certainly make your life easier.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 09:22 am
What FreeDuck said. The UN is a group of nations who act when enough of them feel like it. The US are the only superpower. The US are the UN's most powerful member. It seems odd to say, "Look, the UN are sooo unable to achieve anything. We won't support such a bunch of loosers" when, in fact, the UN are at times in a position of being unable to achieve anything because they lack US support.

It's just like being the most valuable player in, say, a basketball team and then going on about, "Look at them, they haven't won a single game this season", while continously failing to play with the team.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 10:06 am
FreeDuck
What a non entity does will neither make my life harder nor easier.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 10:18 am
Are you calling me a non-entity?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 10:25 am
What do you think?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 10:47 am
Well, I know you to be a polite person, so I would think that you accidentally called me a non-entity while intending to call the UN a non-entity. So if you meant to insult, I've foiled your plans by refusing to be insulted. Cool
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 02:50 pm
Freeduck
Sorry but I was only responding to:

"That would certainly make your life easier."
And a little pain.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 04:31 pm
No problem, au. My above mentioned comment was a response to "Prehaps you should take your own advise." I assume that meant that I ought to shut the f___ up, to which I responded that it would make your life easier if I did, etc...

Hope you are alleviated of the pain.
0 Replies