au1929

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 09:17 am
Quote:
Bishops Change Tactics on Immigrants

Catholic Campaign Seeks Lay Backing

By Mary Beth Sheridan
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, May 11, 2005; Page B01

U.S. Catholic bishops launched a campaign yesterday to change the country's immigration system, saying they would reach into the pews to build support for proposals that would grant residence to millions of people here illegally.

"Our immigration system is badly broken and needs repair," said Cardinal Theodore E. McCarrick, archbishop of Washington, speaking at a news conference announcing the campaign.

McCarrick also said that the U.S. bishops were disturbed by a growing "anti-immigrant fervor" since the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, which he said was expressed in TV and radio shows and in more restrictive immigration laws.

"Before we can change our laws, we must change attitudes, including those of many of our own flock," he said.

Catholics make up about one-quarter of the U.S. population. Officials with the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops said the campaign is aimed at the roughly 30 percent of U.S. Catholics who do not have strong opinions about immigration. An additional 25 percent to 30 percent are likely to share the church's views on immigration policy, while the rest are firmly opposed, officials said.

Yesterday's announcement appeared to reflect a shift in tactics for the Catholic Church. For years, its leaders have supported proposals to give legal status to undocumented workers but the new campaign focuses on the grass roots by, for example, providing outlines of sermons to priests and enlisting Catholic lay groups to promote the church's message, officials said.

"Every diocese, hopefully, will have its own program," said McCarrick, who is a consultant to the bishops' committee on migration.

What effect those programs will have is unclear. Mark Krikorian, executive director of the Center for Immigration Studies, which is critical of U.S. immigration levels, said he doubted many Catholics would be swayed.

"When the political climate changes for other reasons, as it's now doing because of concerns for security, the law will change, and there's really not that much the Catholic bishops can do about that," he said.

He added that it was "unseemly" that the bishops were announcing their program just days before Sens. Edward M. Kennedy (D-Mass.) and John McCain (R-Ariz.) are expected to introduce sweeping immigration legislation, including a guest-worker program.

The bishops' statement "is clearly coordinated with this week's release of the Kennedy-McCain bill," Krikorian said.

Mark Franken, executive director of Migration and Refugee Services for the bishops conference, denied any such coordination, saying the church initiative had been in the works since last summer.

President Bush has urged Congress to establish a guest-worker program that would absorb at least some of the country's 8 million or more illegal immigrants. But many Republican legislators have resisted, believing it would reward people working without authorization.

The bishops' campaign reflects the dramatic change wrought in the U.S. Catholic Church by decades of high immigration levels. The church is about 40 percent Latino, including both immigrants and U.S.-born citizens. About 300,000 Catholics immigrate legally to the United States every year, according to the bishops conference. Tens of thousands of others move to the country illegally.

McCarrick said priests and Catholic organizations are being asked for help constantly by immigrants who lack legal status or who have been separated from their families for years because of delays in processing immigration applications.

"Our people have these problems every day," he said.

McCarrick, when asked about his view of Bush's immigration proposal, said that it provided workers with a route toward legalization but "doesn't go far enough" to help families divided because of immigration problems.

Asked whether it was realistic to think the church would succeed at a time when many Americans are wary of high immigration levels, McCarrick smiled. " Hay que soñar ," he said in Spanish. You have to dream.

It couldn't be because most of the illegals are Catholic and would increase the political power of the church in the US. Could it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,217 • Replies: 27
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 09:35 am
Indulging a little bit of religious prejudice there, AU?

It is worth noting that charismatic protestant sects have made great inroads in Latin America over the last few decades, precisely because of the death grip on political power which the Catholic church has in Latin America. It would be interesting to know just what proportion of illegals actually are practicing Catholics.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 09:45 am
Setanta
Yes I guess I am. It comes from my distrust of the motives of religion and religious leaders.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 10:36 am
Seems to me that a "club" that supports illegal activity by it's own members against children is in no position to dictate any opinions on immigration laws.
0 Replies

WordOfGod

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 10:57 am
When an alien lives with you in your land, do not mistreat him. The alien living with you must be treated as one of your native-born. Love him as yourself, for you were aliens in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

(Leviticus 19:33-35)
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 11:41 am
1 Peter 2:13 "Submit yourself to every ordinance of man . . . to the king, as supreme; Or unto governors."

Matthew 22:21 "Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's." See also Romans 13:1,7 and Titus 3:1.

That means OBEY THE LAW!!!!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 11:47 am
woiyo wrote:
Seems to me that a "club" that supports illegal activity by it's own members against children is in no position to dictate any opinions on immigration laws.

Well, since I'm a member of this club as well: do you want to become initiative against me and/or my posts here?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 11:53 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
woiyo wrote:

Well, since I'm a member of this club as well: do you want to become initiative against me and/or my posts here?

Explain yourself. What or how does one "become initiative against" another? What would you like me to initiate??
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 11:57 am
woiyo wrote:

Explain yourself. What or how does one "become initiative against" another? What would you like me to initiate??

Why should I explain myself? I just asked a question as a member of that 'club'.
0 Replies

WordOfGod

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 12:00 pm
woiyo wrote:
1 Peter 2:13 "Submit yourself to every ordinance of man . . . to the king, as supreme; Or unto governors."

Matthew 22:21 "Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's." See also Romans 13:1,7 and Titus 3:1.

If you had known what these words mean, 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice,' you would not have condemned the innocent. For the Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath."

Going on from that place, he went into their synagogue, and a man with a shriveled hand was there. Looking for a reason to accuse Jesus, they asked him, "Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath?"

He said to them, "If any of you has a sheep and it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will you not take hold of it and lift it out? How much more valuable is a man than a sheep! Therefore it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath."

Then he said to the man, "Stretch out your hand." So he stretched it out and it was completely restored, just as sound as the other.

But the Pharisees went out and plotted how they might kill Jesus.

(Matt 12)
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 12:44 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
woiyo wrote:

Why should I explain myself? I just asked a question as a member of that 'club'.

Rephrase your question so I can provide an answer.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 09:17 pm
You're bashing Catholics with a blanket condemnation based upon the depravity of a few priests, protected by the venality of a few bishops. Walter, as a Catholic (i.e., a member of that club) takes justifiable umbrage at the slur, arrogantly cast at hundreds of millions of people because of the actions of a few.

Frankly, i agree with him, that was a snotty remark, and is indefensible.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 11:53 pm
Okay, I'm not going to rephrase my question.

Thanks, Set.

(Btw: there are 16,769 bishops in the Catholic church ...)
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 06:24 am
Setanta wrote:
You're bashing Catholics with a blanket condemnation based upon the depravity of a few priests, protected by the venality of a few bishops. Walter, as a Catholic (i.e., a member of that club) takes justifiable umbrage at the slur, arrogantly cast at hundreds of millions of people because of the actions of a few.

Frankly, i agree with him, that was a snotty remark, and is indefensible.

A few Bishops??? these scoundrals were protected all the way up to the Pope!

All these "clubs" enjoy preferred status relative to tax benefits and most perform important social functions, especially the Catholic Charities. However, when it come to legislative policies, they should just stay out of it.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 07:07 am
woiyo wrote:

Yes, but the Catholic Church isn't lobbying to break the law. It is lobbying to change it.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 07:11 am
woiyo wrote:
A few Bishops??? these scoundrals were protected all the way up to the Pope!

If you have evidence that a) more than a few bishops are scoundrels, and that b) scoundrel bishops were protected all the way up to the pope, I would be very interested in taking a look at it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 07:15 am
But, but, tut, tut . . . Thomas, how can good manners reconcile with such a demand of the poor lad . . .

Put's me in mind of a song by Donovan Leitch . . .

Have you ever seen a picture of Pope Paul
Have you ever asked yourself this question
Would you trust this man with your soul, now
Would you trust this man, ask yourself

His eyes are sunken and his cheeks are hollow
While you dig the poor of the world they follow
Him, hidin' all that gold in the Vatican
Would you trust this man, ask yourself

Of course, sadly, in the end, one can only conclude that Donovan is simply a typical Irish Protestant bigot and hater of Catholics. But must we not assume the purest of motives from our fellow site member? This cannot be mere prejudice . . .
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 07:24 am
Setanta wrote:
But must we not assume the purest of motives from our fellow site member? This cannot be mere prejudice . . .

Of course not. That's why I'm so certain that he would never call anyone a scoundrel without being able to back it up. Walter's inexcusable Catholic rudeness was depriving woiyo of a much-needed opportunity to present his evidence. I am more than happy to re-open this opportunity for him, and I can't wait to see woiyo take it.

(And your poem really is nasty, Setanta -- I like it!)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 07:28 am
Hell, what shall I do now?

Go there, I suppose (actually, I have to do some shopping now, which is even worse).
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 07:32 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Hell, what shall I do now?

Go there, I suppose (actually, I have to do some shopping now, which is even worse).

Happy shopping, and don't forget to buy some döner kebap from an immigrant while you're at it! Smile
0 Replies