Mind Games by a teacher

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 09:25 am
My child has a teacher that is verbally abusive to her, but not around others adults.

We had a meeting. This woman is unbelievable! She set it up with ALL her teachers. Social Studies teacher has no problem with her; she's turning in her homework, completing class work. English teacher said she doesn't have a problem with jer. Science teacher states she's missing three assignments. Jazmin said she turned them. Science teacher asked to who. Child didn't know students name, but would point him out when they got in class. I asked the science teacher since she said she did the work, would she at least allow her an opportunity to turn the three assignments in. She said yes. I also ask that she be given permission to turn her work in directly to the teacher in that way, she will always have it. She said she didn't have a problem with that. So that was resolved. So far, positives comments are stated with negatives comments. BALANCE.

After they left, Ms Murray starts by saying child is not catching on the work. She gave me a list of grades child has received so far. Not very impressive. I asked to see the paperwork teacher used to post her grades. Steacher said she doesn't keep those papers, she return them to the students. She said my child is the only child that does not turn in her work when she gives her an opportunity to correct it. My child was very scared, I could see it. I turned to child and said, okay is this true? Child said, teacher has never asked me for my paperwork. Just like she hasn't asked for our normal homework this week. Ms. Murray says, all of my honor students who make corrections turn their paperwork in without me asking for it. Child named a boy who also had paperwork waiting to give to Ms. Murray. I told her all I'm concerned about is her work.

Ms. Murray goes on to say, that she gave child paperwork to do at home so that she could get some help with and return. Ms. Murray said that child told her that I'm too busy to help her with her homework! Child looked as through someone had slapped her in the face! Child then said, Ms. Murray, I have never said that to you, never. Ms. Murray said, you didn't tell me that in front of my door, that she didn't have time to help you. Child said, no Ms. Murray, I would never say anything like that. Well, if this were any other teacher, I wouldn't have a problem with this. But because Ms. Murray has lied to me twice before, I just don't have any faith in what she said.

I then cut in and said, Ms. Murray if child did say that, weren't you concerned? You said she's the ONLY student that's not turning in her paperwork, then why didn't you call me to find out if this was true? Ms. Murray said, well that's what she said. Teacher never answered my question. I said, Ms. Murray, if what she said was true, why didn't you take the time to help her since she is the only student you're having problems with? Again, she said, like I told you that is what child said to me. Teacher never answered the question! If what child said was true, then why didn't teacher check or tried to help her if she felt as through child was going to fail her class? Unless she didn't care if she failed or not!

I went on to ask another question it was obvious that she wasn't going to respond to my last. I asked her if there was anything child could do to help bring up her grade? She said, yeah, pass her next three tests and her worksheet. Now there is only three weeks left in the semester and that's all she can do! I said what about her turning in the paperwork that you said she owes you? She said, well yes, I will give her credit for it. I said, what about the two weeks she's missed because she's been sick? Ms. Murray said, well I would have to get another SOL book to give her work in. I said, okay. Teacher said, I can't do that. This is not elementary school where you can get extra credit. I then said, elementary school has nothing to do with it! I have a child in high school and they have makeup work that's given to them when she misses time from school because of illness. Ms. Muarry said it again, well I can't do that.

My child has this woman for academic skills and math. It is interesting that both of these classes will be a D! When she teaches them something in Math, she does a snapshot of what she just went over and that's your grade for the day. If child ask a question, teacher says to her, this class is too advance for you if you don't understand that. Yet she explain in detail the problem child asked a question concerning. None of the other kids asks questions and why would they if they feel this woman would put them down in some way! She has a comment every time child ask a question! Now that would make any child not ask and just try to do whatever they would to complete the work. EVERYTHING MS. MURRAY SAY TO ME IN FRONT OF JAZMIN IS NEGATIVE, SHE HAS YET TO SAY ONE POSITIVE ABOUT THE CHILD! That's why I put her in math tutoring, I had a bad feeling Ms. Murray was going to try and fail or give her a just passing grade. But she hasn't been in tutoring long enough for the teacher to make a comment on what's going on.

She told me that child is talking to this little girl and she had on an ear CD player. Child said, Ms. Muarry, I had just put that on my ear when you saw me. I never got a chance to listen to the music. Ms. Murray said, it was playing child. Child said, Ms. Murray, I didn't even know how to turn it on. Ms. Murray said she took it from child. Child said yes she did and she said she was going to hold it until she saw you. But child told Ms. Murray that it belong to the young lady beside her. So, Ms. Murray gave it back to the little girl. I looked at Jazmin and Ms. Murray looked at us. Then she said, so you're okay with that? I said, because I knew she was trying to get me to fuss at child in front of her, I'll deal with that when we get home. Teacher said okay.

When we were leaving, she said all right then. I then said, thank you and she walked away! I plan to see the principle. I knew she was going to do this to child.

Ms. Murray sent me a note to call her. It was on the first day of the 3rd nine-week period, January 27, 2003! She said to me, child just gave you the paper huh? I said, no she didn't. She gave it to me when I picked her up. This is the first opportunity I had to call you. She then says, child doesn't belong in honor math. I'm going what? She said, I think it's a little too advanced for her. I said, how could you determine that if this is the first day of the nine-week period? She said, did you look at the paper she did in class? I said, "yes I did. Isn't this the first time you introduced the area of a triangle to her?" She said no, I did it before. Now I'd asked Jazmin before hand. Then after my talk with the teacher, I talked to three other parents who said this WAS the first time they saw it also! So, she lied again! Ms Murray goes on to say, please work with her on this. I did and she picked it up, just like that. I went over it with her again on the day of math. But parent/teacher conference, child was sick, she said to me, child still doesn't understand. I said, Ms. Murray, child said she raised her hand and you didn't call on her. She did a short laugh, said oh really, and shook her head. She looked at child's report card and said, "I know you're mad, still looking at me. She then said, I know you're disappointed." the child made 3A, 2B and 2C. That's not too bad, but she can do better! I was so upset with her that all I could say was we're going to work on that.

I feel this whole thing revolves around an incident that happened in December. Ms. Murray, grabbed Jazmin by her arm, pulled her to her seat and pushed her in her chair! Jazmin came home and told me what happened. She said this little boy behind her, took her pencil, she asked for it back and he wouldn't give it to her. She said she got up and went to his desk and took her pencil from him. Ms. Murray as she always do, saw Jazmin standing up. She never asked her what she was doing out of her seat or anything. She just grabbed her by her arm, so on.

I went to school the next day and tried to talk to her about it. She said, that happened in my class? To that little girl! Are you sure? I said yes. I then called childover to explain what happened. Ms. Murray said, I don't recall that happening in my class. Are you sure, looking at Jchild? Two other students confirmed it. I never talk to the same children. But most of them are anxious to tell me things about Ms. Murray. So continued to act like she didn't know what I was talking about. So, I said to her, whether you did or you did. I don't expect you or anyone else here to put your hands on her. If you have a problem, you let me know and I will deal with it. Then she said, do you want me to continue sending you notes? I said, that's fine. Well she started that very day, every time she went to Math it was something. And it was something small and insignificant. So, I returned the note with child's version of what happened. Ms. Murray stop sending notes after the three times. Interesting.

I plan to see the principle on Friday, March 14. He's the kind of person that always says, well I don't think they meant that. or I think you interpreted what they said incorrectly. But if he doesn't help me. Where can I go from there?

I'm not going to let teacher give child a D in acedemics and math without a fight. I found a tutor for math, a student in her class which I feel her teacher should have suggested help her since Jazmin is the only weak child in her class as Ms. Murray puts it. So, every time she goes to Math, she will stay back and this student will help her if she needs it. There is so much she understands but the teacher is saying she doesn't understand anything.

How can this be possible? A teacher who states that every student, every student in her class understands except my child. That's too unreal.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,624 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jespah

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 09:41 am
Hi supergirl12 and welcome to Able2Know.

I'm trying to follow your information. One thing that stands out to me is, how about contacting the Principal or the Assistant Principal? Is there more than one Honors Math teacher? Perhaps a switch could be made. If there is only one Honors Math teacher, I think one question to ask is the criteria for choosing students to be in Honors Math. Is it previous grades? Current academic performance? Curiosity? Scheduling? Something else? If your child is continuing to fulfill the requirements for being in Honors Math, then it sounds like she should be allowed to finish out the term. Sending her to another Math class right now seems overly disruptive and harmful.

Maybe a tutor is in order. One thing that also strikes me is that it seems a bit chaotic in terms of how assignments are handed in. If the tutor could be responsible for handing in the work, or if the tutor could see to it that the child directly hands in the work to the teacher (no more fellow students acting as intermediaries), then the teacher would get the work (and get it on time), which seems to me to be one of the teacher's main complaints. Particularly if a tutor was involved, then you would have another person who would know what's going on, and it would be less like teacher vs. child.

I'm also suggesting a tutor because, for whatever strange reason, this teacher doesn't want to take questions (I agree, that's not a good way to teach anyone but let's hold that aside for now). With a tutor, the child could save her questions for the tutor and avoid the teacher in this area. Your daughter shouldn't have to do this, but that might be a solution that would fit everyone. Your daughter would get her questions asked and answered, and the teacher wouldn't be bothered with inquiries.

As for the CD player incident, I suggest your daughter leave hers at home until the academic year is finished, and not borrow anyone else's. This will avoid these kinds of incidents in the future.

As for not being able to make up work missed during illness, that's ludicrous. No one's asking for extra credit, this is makeup work. Whole different story. The teacher should be prepared to handle makeup work for long-term illnesses. I take it the absence was excused, with a note from you and/or from a doctor? Then take this up with the Principal or Assistant Principal as your child should not be allowed to "fall behind" just because the teacher doesn't have a plan for dealing with long-term illnesses. My cousin missed over a month of school due to mono. Of course she was given makeup work, and she graduated on time. Your daughter shouldn't be treated any differently.

Best of luck to you.
0 Replies

supergirl124

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 05:17 pm
Mind games by a teacher
I went to school today to speak with the principle. He wasn't available of course! He did call me. I asked to meet with him. He said he couldn't do it today or Monday. He asked me If I would give him a short version of what's going on. So I told him I met with the math teacher today. He said, because of Jazmin's behavior problem. I said, no! She never said anything to me about Jazmin having a behavior problem nor has any of her other teachers. He said, oh. I said, I talked to her about Jazmin's grades.

I asked Ms. Murray if Jazmi could go make up work for the days she's missed for being out sick almost 2 weeks. Bottom line she said, no. I then told the principle that all of her teachers are allowing her to do make up work. And I just can't understand why this teacher wouldn't allow it.

He said, let me go down and talk with her. He called me back 5 minutes later and said, it's been taken care of. Jazmin will be given all assignments she's missed so she can make them up.

Well when she got home today, she had her interium report and lo and behold, she received an F in mather! Just like I knew this woman was going to do. I knew it, that's why I was trying to get all paperwork done that Jazmin may owe completed before the report cards actually come out.

This woman is the only math teacher for 6 grade. So even if I take her out of honors math, she'll still have to deal with her. I told Jazmin to make sure she's not talking or playing in her class. To tell her friends not to do anything that would get her in trouble in this woman's class. I feel because I went to the principle, she try another angle.

She has two tutors now. the school tutor that she works with on Wednesday and a straight A student who works with her on Thursday (this one just started yesterday) So with these two folks working with her, there is no way this teacher can say she doesn't understand the work.

Jazmin is going to talk to other students in her class and see what they received on their interium. So far one of the students who normally get 100s received an F on her interium. So I know her mother will be willing to talk to me. I need to put a plan into place, before this woman actually give my child an F that she doesn't deserve.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 07:15 pm
A plan is definitely a good idea. It sounds like you're exploring options that make sense.
0 Replies