Hey, I am in college, Trying to find career in Writing, Edit

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 08:09 pm
Hey, I am in college I am trying to find career path, In Writing, Editing, Communications.

I was just wondering. What I needed, How do I go about it. I am going to visit my counselor, but I just wanted to ask ahead of time.

I am really lost. I was going to major in Business Marketing/ Sales

I changed my mind, I didn't feel I had the passion. I have a huge passion in reading, writing and just communicating with spoken word. I was just wondering if any of you could give me some tips or point me somewhere....

I thank you!

Leon
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 944 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Charli

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 10:01 pm
Publishing Career
Pursuit of the career you've chosen is a long hard slog. Check my profile and add to the formal education a 6-yr Union apprenticeship plus earning a NYC Printing Industries Master Craftsman's Certificate plus more time in the business than I want to admit to. And, when all is said and done, the salaries are not all that phenomenal. The whole publishing business centers on "Is there a market for what you can deliver?" In other words, is your writing, your production, "marketable"? You need to really love the creativity . . . and the solitary, LONG hours. Top pay (after a number of years) is probably about $50 or $60M/yr - unless you can write a best-seller! (Tenured college professors do a bit better.)

However, try it, you might like it. Find someone to take you on as a "stringer" (part-timer - writer or reporter). Even a messenger's job, or a gofer, will let you be where the action is. Good luck, whatever you decide! Smile

http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~stephan/Animation/chaplin.movie.gif
0 Replies

PoeticMisterE

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 05:56 pm
Thank You! I was wondering, if you and I could speak on aim, msn or even yahoo? Would that be possible? Let me know.

Thank You!

Leon
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 06:31 pm
You don't say what sort of writing/editing you're interested in. There's a world of difference, for example, in working as a newspaper reporter or in a book publishing house as a reader/editor. Or, your métier might be magazines. That's somewhat different again. Charli seems to be talking mainly about the print prodyction end of things. But it sounds to me like you're more interested in the "creative" (for want of a better word) end of things. Can you be somewhat more specific?
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 08:59 pm
Time does not permit . . .
Thank you, PME, for the invitation to "correspond." Perhaps, at a later date I might be able to spend some time. If so, I will send you an A2K PM. At present, the end of term "schoolwork" is overwhelming. Then, comes the summer school stint at the University. I seemed to have gotten into this business year round.

I do spend a few minutes on A2K once in a while for a break. As you know, notification of the posts on this thread are emailed to all responders. Thus, for now, let us know how you are progressing in your pursuit of a career. Again, good luck! Smile Smile Smile
0 Replies

PoeticMisterE

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 01:40 am
Thank You!

Well, I was basically refering to, Editing. I was speaking about editing, books, mag, newspaper and articles. I was also wondering, if I I get an English degree, what would I have to do in order to get my certificate in order to tutor or sub.

Thank You!

all the responds are really appreciated.

Leon...
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 08:49 pm
Editing etc.
Quote:
Well, I was basically refer[r]ing to, Editing. I was speaking about editing, books, mag, newspaper and articles.

The above was what I also referred to in my previous post. I don't know what more I can say about that type of work. There are a lot of people out there working in this field who have "a lot of" education and expertise. Why, I'm not exactly sure. Some are retired or semi-retired academics or professionals from various fields. If they've been in that well-known "publish or perish" loop, they have a fair knowledge of the publishing business. Editing can be somewhat less strenuous than the jobs many of them have faced every day . . . even if it pays substantially less.[/color]

Quote:
I was also wondering, if I I get an English degree, what would I have to do in order to get my certificate in order to tutor or sub.

This depends on the particular school system you are applying to. Many of them accept college grads who will then work on acquiring the necessay education credits. Check with your local Board of Education.
0 Replies

PoeticMisterE

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 10:28 pm
Thanks! Do you also know the pay? and if there is many jobs out there in this field?

Thanks, Leon.
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 05:49 am
Which job?
Which job? What level? How much expertise?

Incidentally, a plus for you: You inserted an avatar and a description into your profile. This made for a desire to respond to your inquiry! Keep up the good work - you're on your way!
[/color]
0 Replies

PoeticMisterE

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 02:12 pm
Wait, Huh? Haha.

I was referring to the job in editing/tutoring/teaching...

BA level... I was wondering how long it will take to get a certificate for tutoring or being a sub.
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 05:46 am
"How long will it take . . . ?"
As per my previous post, I reiterate . . .

"This depends on the particular school system you are applying to. Many of them accept college grads who will then work on acquiring the necessay education credits. Check with your local Board of Education. "

In most areas, the need is great and there are may openings. Check with the school system where you are interested in working. They can give you the requirements and the pay-scale.

Be sure that you like kids and want to do this. "Teaching is the best job I'll ever love!" (It IS a lot of work!!!) Good luck!
[/color]
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 05:52 am
Actually, to tutor you don't need any certification at all. As for substitute teaching, most school districts prefer that you have the same certification as a regular full-time teacher, but, as it's often hard to find a qualified teacher on short notice, some will waive the requirements. As for getting certified, Charli has it right -- it varies from state to state and, in some states, even from district to district. Ask your counselor what the requirements are where you are presently located (or intend to move to).
0 Replies

PoeticMisterE

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 11:48 am
Thank You! I really appreciate it.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 11:27 am
If you have a bachelors you can teach at private schools--you need certification for public.

You could always do grad school if you want to teach at college level--or just get experience teaching as a TA.

School newspaper experience will help with magazine jobs. Or check out volunteer writing for local "underground" paper.

For info on journals you might consult for work go to www.clmp.org
0 Replies

PoeticMisterE

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 06:29 pm
Awesome! Thank You, I was just wondering, if you and I could speak sometime. Do you have any messengers? Email, address?

Thanks, Once again.
0 Replies