Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 03:30 am
Who wrote this article?
What news service did it appear in?
When was it written?
Is there a link to it?
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 04:10 am
MM - Google dude, google! :-) Are we your personal search engine?

Lawn-Chair Militias
Surviving a weekend with the Arizona Minutemen
by MARC COOPER
APRIL 8 - 14, 2005
http://www.laweekly.com/ink/05/20/news-cooper.php

L.A. Weekly is run by Village Voice Media Publications
Staff info here
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 04:45 am
I inadvertently left out Marc Cooper's name. Sorry.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 07:00 pm
This is what passes for a news story in the LA Weekly? This is chalked full of opinion. You can tell it was written with a bias and he went there knowning how he was going to write the opinion piece.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 07:09 pm
You can tell it's a bunch of ****, because Baldimo don't agree with it.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 07:25 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
You can tell it's a bunch of ****, because Baldimo don't agree with it.

I didn't say that, what I said was the guy didn't write a true news story because of his bias. It becomes hard to believe a story such as this when the guy is making judgments in the "news" story. Maybe if he had written the story with less judgment then it would have made more of an impact on me. Reading the article you can tell the "reporter" didn't agree with what the Minutemen were doing and it is reflected in his writing.

While I don't doubt that not as many people showed up as the leaders claimed, it isn't anything new with people such as this. The anti-war protestors did the same thing when they had their fun in the sun. In just about any protest you can bet that only about 1/4 to maybe 1/2 of the people are there that are there. It wouldn't be a first.

I agree with what the Minute were doing, but I don't think it was as attended as they claimed. The only other thing that could have happened was that that many people did show up but it was spread over the entire month when the "reporter" wasn't there.

I still think this is more suited to an opinion piece then a news article.
0 Replies

Instigate

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 07:37 pm
If it drew the ire of both liberals and illegal aliens nationwide, then, in my opinion, it was smashing success Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 07:58 pm
Quote:
Homeland Security bars organizer of Minutemen

By Jerry Seper
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Newspaper publisher Chris Simcox, who helped organize last month's Minuteman vigils and promised more in the future, was denied access to a Department of Homeland Security press conference in Arizona last week.

Mr. Simcox, who writes for, edits and owns the Tombstone, Ariz., Tumbleweed, wants the American Civil Liberties Union to determine whether his First Amendment free-press rights were violated.

He said the Border Patrol refused to let him attend the Thursday press conference featuring Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff, who spoke in Douglas, Ariz., on the need for additional agents and increased technology to gain control of the Arizona border.

<snip>

Quote:
"I showed up with press credentials and was held outside the gate," Mr. Simcox said, adding that he was told by a Border Patrol agent that Chief Michael Nicely, who heads the agency's Tucson sector, had ordered him barred from the press conference.

Mr. Simcox was one of two organizers of the Minuteman Project in Arizona in April, when more than 800 volunteers from throughout the United States set up observation posts along a 23-mile section of Arizona-Mexico border west of Douglas to spot and report illegal aliens.

Supervisors at the Border Patrol's Tucson sector office did not support the project, saying it disrupted operations, unnecessarily tripped sensors and had little or no impact on the flow of illegal aliens.

Chief Nicely has said the Minutemen's efforts against illegal immigration were "negligible" and they should leave border enforcement "to the professionals."

Border Patrol spokesman Jose Garza in Tucson confirmed that Mr. Simcox was excluded from the press conference on the orders of Chief Nicely, but said it was "because of security reasons."

He declined to elaborate and would not comment on whether Mr. Simcox was the potential security threat or whether anyone had made a threat against him.

"This was an operational security plan and, as a result, I cannot comment further," he said.

Mr. Simcox questioned security as a reason for being denied access, saying there was "an overwhelming deployment of agents on the roads leading into one of the most secure Border Patrol offices in the country" and that other press members with credentials were "allowed in and out."

http://washingtontimes.com/national/20050508-115751-9693r.htm

This oughta be entertaining to follow.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 08:02 pm
Of corse the ALCU won't support him. He isn't one of their people.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 08:07 pm
Ya just never know what issue they're gonna take up.

Assuming anything about the ACLU seems a bit rash, but that's your game, not mine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote:

http://www.nypost.com/postopinion/opedcolumnists/43758.htm

Interesting how there just isn't a right side to this one.

Republicans are as tidily split on this as the whole country is. Yup, that president's one great uniter.
0 Replies