What's your reason to live?

Chai

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 02:34 pm
Re: What's your reason to live?
extra medium wrote:
Ronfg wrote:
What's your reason to live in this world?
Everyone! please feel free to list your reasons!

some days its to get on A2K, find some know-it-all arrogant bigoted poster, and write some crap to em--push their buttons, you know, the usual.

EM - Are you referring to me?
Is it because I thought you were a girl?

I'm always afraid people will think I'm loud mouthed blowhard.
That's because I was born in New Jersey - escaped when I was 20.
Whenever I meet someone from from NJ - that's what they sound like to me.
Oh my Gwad. I sound paranoid.

My reason to live - I dunno.
What Sanctuary said sounded good, so me too.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 02:39 pm
I repeat: we need reasons to live only when our life is miserable.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 03:32 pm
Re: What's your reason to live?
Chai Tea wrote:
extra medium wrote:
Ronfg wrote:
What's your reason to live in this world?
Everyone! please feel free to list your reasons!

some days its to get on A2K, find some know-it-all arrogant bigoted poster, and write some crap to em--push their buttons, you know, the usual.

EM - Are you referring to me?
Is it because I thought you were a girl?

I'm always afraid people will think I'm loud mouthed blowhard.
That's because I was born in New Jersey - escaped when I was 20.
Whenever I meet someone from from NJ - that's what they sound like to me.
Oh my Gwad. I sound paranoid.

My reason to live - I dunno.
What Sanctuary said sounded good, so me too.

Chai Tea,

No I was not referring to you! I was just kind of joking...I didn't mean anyone in particular. Razz
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 03:34 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Extra Medium, don't get me wrong, I DO pity you. :wink:

Thanks. I can feel it.

I, on the other hand, have empathy for you. You really should try some of that sometime. Razz
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 03:35 pm
val wrote:
extra medium

Is it true? You are not a nice girl as I supposed?
Laughing :wink: Laughing

I always thought that if I was a girl, I'd be a bad girl. A wild one.

Hey, that would be a cool thread...
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 03:44 pm
I know you're joking EM Rolling Eyes

but if youse wuz jerkin' my chain, i'd send my cousin tony over to have a little talk with youse.

Ah - the next season of the Sopranos, my reason for living.
Does anyone else think Carmela has AIDS or something?
She really looked like hell at the end of the last season.
I'm hoping Furio comes back.

I live in Tx and when the shows airing co-workers will ask me questions about things that happen on the show as if I majored in organized crime.

Of course, anyone from New Jersey can tell you the closest exit to get off at to dump a body, or how to hotwire a car.
that's not a reason for living - but it's a handy life skill.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 03:52 pm
Redecorating.
Future grandkids.
Buying a beach house.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 04:34 pm
EM, I've tried empathy; it hurts. And it's usually off the mark. I usually end up projecting my subjectivity onto the other. Then they get real pissed at me.
Consider G.B.Shaw's caveat, "Do not do unto others as you would have them do unto you...their taste may be different." Much better than empathy is inquiry--just ask them.
On the other hand, what about sympathy... Confused
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 04:40 pm
JLNobody wrote:
EM, I've tried empathy; it hurts. And it's usually off the mark. I usually end up projecting my subjectivity onto the other. Then they get real pissed at me.
Consider G.B.Shaw's caveat, "Do not do unto others as you would have them do unto you...their taste may be different." Much better than empathy is inquiry--just ask them.
On the other hand, what about sympathy... Confused

Well in all seriousness (is it possible to be serious here anymore?--doubtful):

It appears Buddha probably didn't have a lot of pity or sympathy or empathy for others?

Well maybe some.

I read that when he reached nirvana, some accounts say that he could have merged and left his body, but he sort of chose to remain on earth for awhile so that he could teach folks the Eightfold Path and the Four Noble Truths and the rest...

So I guess one could say he had a bit of sympathy or empathy? Perhaps compassion is the word I'm looking for. Yes.

Compassion.

Trouble is: If you go around being a compassionate guy, it seems like people think you're either gay or you're a girl!

How do you handle that, JLN? Razz
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 04:52 pm
Reasons for living? I'm with Merry Andrew on this one. No one needs a reason, we just are. Now the reasons for continuing to live, that is another story.

JL, I think it was you who once observed that one must be in a pleasant state of mind to begin with in order to be happy or pleasant.

There are people on this planet who are only content with living when they smugly see other people who are miserable.

Let's take, for example, the "dog in the manger" type. I don't think that needs an explanation, but there are those who cannot stand the fact that, although they can't use something, they don't want others to have access to that "something", whatever it may be.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 08:36 pm
Buying a beach house sounds good to me.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 08:44 pm
Well, I certainly try not to show feelings of pity for others. That demeans them. To me compassion is not necessarily something that is visible. Just to know that others are subjects like me (not objects of my experience) is enough to sensitize me to their humanity, to their basic neediness. Not that I can always do anything about it.

Letty, did I say that? Wow. I must have been thinking that a certain general openess to joy is necessary for it to occur. Not sure.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 10:03 am
Well, JL. It was something to that effect, but I have thought about it many times and completely concur.

Let's take, for example, a musical performance. If one is up and knows his music--looking forward to the inner weaving of the instruments, etc. the experience will be good no matter the reaction of the audience.

"a person could but not be gay in such a jocund company."
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 01:01 pm
My new reason to live is to unexpectedly make mucho deniro and be able to give millions of dollars away to whom ever i choose over 9 and 3/4 years.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 01:41 pm
Pavo con mole, arroz, y frijoles refritos. More reason to live as long as one can.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 08:07 pm
e' vero.

Now, did I just speak italian or spanish?
Sigh, it is trying to be dumb.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 08:50 pm
Italian, Portugese, Catalan, but not Castillian Spanish, or even east L.A. Spanish.
0 Replies