0 Replies

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 10:31 am
Re: How to Save America
cjhsa wrote:
Teach your kids to be self sufficient.

I bet few of you have a clue.

"My child would kick your child's butt."

Sorry, I just thought I'd cut the posturing and turn your phrase into what you're really saying. Given the topic, rather ironic. (in the modern sense of the word).
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 11:05 am
tommrr wrote:
You know, it just amazes how in a completely non political side taking post by Finn, just the mention of the word conservative has set off this big name calling, my side is better than your side affair. Place is getting to be just the US Congress. All name calling and mud slinging and nothing ever being discussed.
Did any of you realize that a conservative or liberal approach to something CAN be taken without being political? Case in point, after a recent shoulder operation my Dr said his approach to the rehab was rather conservative. Now I didn't think anything political about his comment, but rather that we were going to err on the side of catuion.
I also was raised by Democratic parents. Very conservative, raised in the Depression, Democrat parents, and they instilled in me very good values and a good work ethic.
Maybe, just maybe, that its possible that there are good parents and crappy parents from both sides of the political spectrum?

Tommrr - Welcome to A2K.

Stick around and you will start to recognize the personalities and the code words. I think Aiden took the words exactly as Finn intended them to be taken. Conservative and traditional - good, liberal and progressive - bad.

Personally, I don't see how having a close relationship with your parents is a bad thing. Why can't a daughter and mother be like sisters? My wife is with her mother. Having a close relationship doesn't mean you weren't a good parent. It probably means the EXACT OPPOSITE. Isn't the goal in parenting to instill values and the ability to choose between right and wrong. Liberal and conservative really have nothing to do with it. The traditional technique of beating a child with a belt isn't better than the progressive technique of talking and reasoning with your child. Both can work to some degree. (See how easy it is to shade those terms without being blatantly political.)

Finn made it political by claiming it was the fault of "progressive" boomers from the 60s. That is BS. Every generation feels that way about a previous generation. "The kids just don't have any respect."

Who the hell is running this country now? It is the baby boomers. Who is doing most of the work in this country? It is the kids of those baby boomers.

Every generation rebels. Every generation has people that think it is "cool" to never settle down and have to live life. Dilettante is hardly a new word. Paris Hilton is nothing but the latest in a centuries long line of badly raised kids that think it is OK to act badly in public.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 11:20 am
Yeah - and I just realized I'm not the one who politicized the issue. CJ whatever (the originator of the topic) did when he placed this in Politics instead of in Children and Family or Relationships or whatever. (It takes a while, but I always get there...)
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 02:43 pm
I placed it in Politics to as a counter to the "How to Destroy America" thread. I was hoping for more ideas than my own.

Bill Gates is a liberal twit. A very rich liberal twit. He's got billions in trust funds and stashed overseas that the government can never touch. His family is set for generations, given a stable world. Like the Kenedys, the Gates stand to be the next "first family" of America, expousing their liberal hogwash on high from their ivory towers.

I hope he teaches his kids to be self sufficient.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 02:44 pm
Re: How to Save America
watchmakers guidedog wrote:

"My child would kick your child's butt."

She could probably kick your butt too. Shocked Rolling Eyes Laughing
0 Replies

tommrr

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 12:22 am
Thanks for the welcome parados. I have been around awhile now, lurking and reading...I have pretty much figured out who is who, and where they stand. Didn't mean to get on such a soapbox, but parenting (or the general lack thereof)these days is one of my major peeves. Guess I missed cjhsa's original intent here, but give a minute, and I can climb up on that old box again and get going.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 12:55 am
aidan wrote:
Finn - I'm at the tail (read: "young") end of the baby boom generation. I can pretty much agree with a lot of what you're saying - but I can't go along with politicizing this phenomenom. I think a lot of it has to do with characteristics such as selfishness and the need for instant gratification. I don't believe those traits have anything at all to do with whether one is conservative or liberal.

I'm not sure what you mean by "politicizing."

Adopting new and unconventional methods of parenting is, by definition, progressive or liberal in nature. One can argue, I suppose, that if the original intent was the product of a flaw in character (e.g. selfishness) that it is inaccurate to consider the approach progressive or liberal., however then we should all agree that the same rule must be applied to the use of conservative. In other words, men who desire a return to social and/or legal inequity for women are not advocating a sort of conservative approach, but merely manifesting misogyny or insecurity.

This is off course a slippery slope, because there will never be common agreement about the origins of the approaches.

Conservatism, it can be argued, is, in essence, a reliance on traditional values and ideas.

Liberalism, it can also be argued, is, in essence, the embracing of new ideas and values.

The statement I made had nothing to do with Liberal Politicians and their supporters or Conservative Politicians and their supporters. Nor was I introducing the subject of governance into the discussion.

I suspect that what you mean by "politicizing" is, in fact, "name calling."

Conservative Baby Boomers did not adopt new methods of parenting. Progressive Baby Boomers did. That you agree with me that, in general, the result of these "new" methods was not positive, doesn't mean that either you or I am right. Someone on this thread has argued that there is nothing wrong with a mother who wants to be more of a friend than a traditional mother to her daughter. That is a new idea (as of the 60's).

It is not because it is new that it is a bad idea. There are plenty of new ideas that are wonderful. It is a bad idea because, in part, it is born of the character flaws which you have cited, and, more importantly, because it ignores a child's need for discipline and structure. I don't know about parados, but I never looked to friends for discipline or structure.

Not all conservatives are selfish nor are all liberals, however there is an aspect of liberalism that runs the risk of selfishness because it so values the self - the individual.

Of course these terms have lost much of their original meaning because, for example, Conservatives promote rugged individualism, while Liberals promote the collective good.

Not all Baby Boomers who were progressive parents or who labeled themselves Progressives, were failed parents. I made a point of speaking in general terms about "progressive" parenting, and I continue to contend that, among Baby Boomers, those parents who have been most successful have relied upon traditional notions of parenting rather than progressive.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 01:07 am
Setanta wrote:
I was wondering about that, as well, Aidan. I was raised by my grandparents, both born in the 19th century. I was obliged to work at home, to launder and press my own clothing, to adhere to a schedule for chores and school and meals, and to work outside the home if i found my allowance to be too small. My grandfather was a Democratic precinct committeeman, and it would not by any stretch of the imagination be reasonable to describe either him or his wife as conservative.

This is a perfect example of the misapplication of the terms and concepts.

Your grandparents may not, by any stretch of the imagination, have been reasonably considered to be Conservatives, but in their approach to raising you, they were conservative.

I feel fairly safe in asserting that you, as a child, were obliged to behave in the manner that your grandparents behaved as children, and as there parents and grandparents did before them.

If your grandparents had been progressive or liberal in their parenting of you, you would not be in a position to recount such a traditional role as a child.

Because very few people are entirely conservative or liberal but because they are so enamoured of the labels Conservative and Liberal (despite all protestations to the contrary), we have Liberals taking offense at the notion that they do not ascribe to family (read traditional) values and Conservatives taking offense to the charge that they are rigid dinosaurs.

I'm not sure which is the motivation behind the labelling: The desire to be identified with a group, or the desire to pigeon hole one's opponents.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 01:17 am
parados wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

And here is the argument for some form of conservatism: Progressive Baby Boomers, in general, didn't get it right, unless they reverted to the traditional values of their parents.

Damn,
Somebody better tell Bill Gates he is a failure according to Finn.

Oh wait. Bill Gates Sr has those traditional values of caring for others. He oversees the Bill Gates foundation and has spoken out rather forcefully against the repeal of the estate tax.

Hmm... Seems conservatism has NOTHING to do with it.

Here, again, you are confusing conservatism with Conservative Politics, and liberalism with Liberal Politics.

There can be no other explanation for how you arrive at the conclusion that I have condemned the father of Bill Gates as a failure.

Actually I have no idea what the politics of the senior Mr Gates were or now are, but just like Setanta's grandparents, he could have been a Liberal with conservative notions about parenting.

Actually you are infusing the discussion with your politics (politicizing?).

We probably can all agree that "caring for others" is a traditional value. I don't think anyone has suggested that Liberals can't embrace certain traditional values. I'm not sure, however, that anyone other than a Liberal would consider speaking out against the repeal of the estate tax as a manifestation of traditional values.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 01:22 am
Chrissee wrote:
BTW I did not read Finn's post. I rarely do. I vehemently disagree that the permissive, lack of disciplinary approach had ANYTHING to do with the parents political beliefs. There are legions of politically conservative parents who take a slipshod approach to parenting.

Well, that's certainly enlightened of you Chrissee.

Perhaps if you had read my post, you would realize that you do not have so much with which to vehemently disagree.

It's interesting that you will allow yourself the proper use of conservative, but not me the proper use of progressive.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 01:29 am
aidan wrote:
I think that's what everyone was saying.

It may have been me that politicized it - if so I didn't mean to. I was just asking what might "conservative" parenting methods entail that would be different than "liberal" parenting methods.

Sorry for any offense.

That is the point. The differences between liberal and conservative parenting are striking. The difference between the parenting of Liberals and Conservatives, not so easily categorized becuase neither reliably hold true to the label they give themselves.

And yet if you had to bet on which one would be the permissive parent? Twisted Evil
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 01:52 am
Finn - I'd like to respond to a couple of points you made that I find interesting.

"I'm not sure what you mean by "politicizing."

As I said later to another poster, it may have been me that read the politicization of the issue into it, but I was at least subconsciously led to do that by the placement of the topic in this category. My brain just works like that - "Oh they put it under politics - they must want to discuss it from a political standpoint."

"Adopting new and unconventional methods of parenting is, by definition, progressive or liberal in nature. One can argue, I suppose, that if the original intent was the product of a flaw in character (e.g. selfishness) that it is inaccurate to consider the approach progressive or liberal., however then we should all agree that the same rule must be applied to the use of conservative. In other words, men who desire a return to social and/or legal inequity for women are not advocating a sort of conservative approach, but merely manifesting misogyny or insecurity."
Exactly! Yes, this is how I do wish we would approach the issues - I really do. I can't stand having assumptions made and labels placed upon me, and I refuse to do it to anyone else. I refuse to let myself automatically believe that just because you may be "conservative" you are mysogynist - or would advocate a return to social or legal inequity for women- although you very well might - because I know my father who is conservative, doesn't. Therefore I refuse to paint all conservatives with the same brush. By the same token - I don't paint all liberals with the same brush, and wish that conservatives and other liberals didn't either. It's divisive and not productive.
I understand your reasoning and agree with a lot of your points, but I disagree with your last post. And I'm not just being stubborn here. As a teacher in a fairly affluent suburban school, I had the opportunity to observe a lot of parenting. I literally could not separate who was conservative "minded" and who was liberal "minded" by the behavior of their children. And on the occasions I thought about it and ventured a guess, I was usually wrong. I did observe though that the children (highschoolers) of the parents who were more politically conservative drove the nicest cars (we're talking Lexus and BMW's for seventeen year olds) and seemed more materially indulged on average (had all the latest gadgets and the most expensive models of things). What might that mean? I'm sincerely asking...
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 10:24 pm
aidan wrote:
Finn - I'd like to respond to a couple of points you made that I find interesting.

"I'm not sure what you mean by "politicizing."

As I said later to another poster, it may have been me that read the politicization of the issue into it, but I was at least subconsciously led to do that by the placement of the topic in this category. My brain just works like that - "Oh they put it under politics - they must want to discuss it from a political standpoint."

"Adopting new and unconventional methods of parenting is, by definition, progressive or liberal in nature. One can argue, I suppose, that if the original intent was the product of a flaw in character (e.g. selfishness) that it is inaccurate to consider the approach progressive or liberal., however then we should all agree that the same rule must be applied to the use of conservative. In other words, men who desire a return to social and/or legal inequity for women are not advocating a sort of conservative approach, but merely manifesting misogyny or insecurity."
Exactly! Yes, this is how I do wish we would approach the issues - I really do. I can't stand having assumptions made and labels placed upon me, and I refuse to do it to anyone else. I refuse to let myself automatically believe that just because you may be "conservative" you are mysogynist - or would advocate a return to social or legal inequity for women- although you very well might - because I know my father who is conservative, doesn't. Therefore I refuse to paint all conservatives with the same brush. By the same token - I don't paint all liberals with the same brush, and wish that conservatives and other liberals didn't either. It's divisive and not productive.
I understand your reasoning and agree with a lot of your points, but I disagree with your last post. And I'm not just being stubborn here. As a teacher in a fairly affluent suburban school, I had the opportunity to observe a lot of parenting. I literally could not separate who was conservative "minded" and who was liberal "minded" by the behavior of their children. And on the occasions I thought about it and ventured a guess, I was usually wrong. I did observe though that the children (highschoolers) of the parents who were more politically conservative drove the nicest cars (we're talking Lexus and BMW's for seventeen year olds) and seemed more materially indulged on average (had all the latest gadgets and the most expensive models of things). What might that mean? I'm sincerely asking...

There is a difference being labeled politically Conservative (by oneself or by others) and following conservative principles.

There are poor Conservatives who cannot afford to buy their kids cars and there are rich Liberals who can. The purchase of cars for children is a red herring in this debate.

My argument is that regardless of whether one is labelled Conservative or Liberal buying one's child a brand new car (for example) is a liberal approach to parenting while insisting that the child work to pay for, at least, some portion of the car is a conservative approach.

Further, it is my argument that the conservative approach to parenting produces better adjusted children.

It would interesting if my critics would address the real issue I've put forth: conservative parenting is more successful than progressive parenting, and give up the thin skinned furor of "politicizing."

For the record and for the last time: A Liberal can take a conservative approach to parenting and a Conservative can adopt a progressive approach.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 12:25 am
It would interesting if my critics would address the real issue I've put forth: conservative parenting is more successful than progressive parenting, and give up the thin skinned furor of "politicizing."

It depends on the child. Different children respond to different methods of parenting.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 09:58 am
Quote:
My argument is that regardless of whether one is labelled Conservative or Liberal buying one's child a brand new car (for example) is a liberal approach to parenting while insisting that the child work to pay for, at least, some portion of the car is a conservative approach.

Buying a car isn't conservative or liberal. I don't see how you can say this, right after having said

Quote:
There are poor Conservatives who cannot afford to buy their kids cars and there are rich Liberals who can. The purchase of cars for children is a red herring in this debate.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 04:03 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

Buying a car isn't conservative or liberal. I don't see how you can say this, right after having said

Quote:

Cycloptichorn

Here's how:

Buying a car for one's child is not a reliable indicator of whether one is a Conservative or a Liberal (...it is a red herring in the debate). Buying a car for a a child (no strings attached) is a liberal approach to parenting while attaching strings is a conservative approach, (Note the emphasis on case).

If one insists that Conservatives apply only conservative principles, and Liberals apply only liberal principles that you may have a point.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 05:08 pm
aidan wrote:

It depends on the child. Different children respond to different methods of parenting.

Yes, and I do not mean to suggest that progressive parenting is never successful.
0 Replies