Los Angeles, Mexico

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 04:11 pm
Los Angeles, Mexico

Thursday, May 5, 2005

Immigration: While California's governor is accused of racism for advocating a secure border with Mexico, a Los Angeles billboard provides a revealing glimpse into the mind-set of those advocating open borders.

In a recent radio interview, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger committed a couple of faux pas (or however you say that in Spanish). First, he said the U.S. government was failing to secure the border with Mexico. Second, he said the Arizona Minutemen, a bunch of old men in lawn chairs, "have done a terrific job."

"Shameful" was the reaction of Nativo Lopez, state national president of the Mexican American Political Association. Schwarzenegger's comments, he said, were "nothing short of base racism."

The Los Angeles Times chimed in with an editorial criticizing the governor for these and other remarks. The newspaper also chided him for failing to see the "humor" in a billboard advertising a Spanish-language newscast.

The billboard, which has since been removed, showed the Angel of Independence, a well-known monument in Mexico City, in the center of the L.A. skyline, with "CA" crossed out after "Los Angeles" and the word "Mexico" in bold red letters put in its place (see photo above).

"I think they should take it down immediately," Schwarzenegger said in the radio interview, contending it encouraged illegal immigration. The L.A. Times response was to opine that "as someone born and raised in the shadow of the Third Reich, he should know better than to be fanning this anti-foreigner frenzy."

But is insisting that U.S. immigration laws be enforced racist and anti-immigrant? And why, exactly, did Clear Channel Communications and the Spanish-language TV station think the billboard would appeal to their current and potential viewing audience?

The fact is that many Hispanic activists, Mexican citizens and perhaps even members of the Mexican government refuse to accept the legality of our 1845 annexation of Texas, the 1848 Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo after the Mexican-American War, or the 1852 Gadsden Purchase.

One of these activists is Charles Trujillo, a professor at the University of New Mexico. He predicts a new, sovereign Hispanic nation within this century encompassing much of the American southwest and part of northern Mexico. States have the right to secede under our original Articles of Confederation, he contends, and this will be accomplished by the electoral pressure of future majority Hispanic populations in these states.

The Hispanic student activist group known as MECHa, an acronym for Movimento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlan (Chicano Student Movement of Aztlan) has spent the last three decades indoctrinating Latino students on U.S. campuses.

It claims that California, Arizona, Mexico, Texas and southern Colorado were stolen and should be returned to their rightful owners, the people of Mexico, under the name "Nation of Aztlan." Aztlan is the mythical place where the Aztecs are said to have originated.

Few caught the significance of the words of then-Mexican President Ernesto Zedillo before the National Council of La Raza in Chicago on July 27, 1997: "I have proudly affirmed that the Mexican nation extends beyond the territory enclosed by its borders."

Current President Vicente Fox repeated this line during a 2001 visit to the U.S., when he called for open borders and endorsed Mexico's new dual citizenship law.

A June 2002 Zogby poll found that the majority of Mexican citizens agree with him and hold the view that, since the Southwest U.S. really belongs to Mexico, they do not need permission to enter. The poll found that 58% of Mexicans agreed with the statement, "The territory of the United States' Southwest rightfully belongs to Mexico."

Perhaps it was that audience the billboards were designed to reach.

http://www.investors.com/editorial/issues02.asp?v=5/5

What in the world is Senor Trujillo smokin'?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,681 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 04:39 pm
Oh, horrors! Some Mexicans question our annexation of Texas? How dare they!

I guess we could invade Mexico, only then we'd really open the flood gates. Maybe not such a good idea...
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 05:51 pm
Any foreign national who insists on violating our laws and plans to continue to violate them, no matter what the rationale, is our enemy.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 05:57 pm
Such a foreign national may well be criminal, in which case i would look to the laws and the magisterial authority of our polity to deal with such a person, properly and effectively. But that person is not automatically my enemy. Your mindset is unfortunate, in my never humble opinion.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 06:45 pm
What foreign national are you talking about? What "laws being violated" are you talking about?

Do you dispute that much of the Southwest belonged to Mexico or that they were taken by force in the Mexican-American war? My understanding is that the subsequent "purchase" was after the fact and not exactly up and up.

I am not saying that I think that Texas should be given back to Mexico (although I don't think I would miss it much), but I think many of these people are American citizens exercising their right to free speech.

The Billboard was funny. Govenor Arnold is an idiot-- and a one-term idiot at that.

LA Times wrote:
...as someone born and raised in the shadow of the Third Reich, he should know better than to be fanning this anti-foreigner frenzy

Maybe he does know better....
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 10:40 am
If Mexico wants open boarders, why not ask them to become the 51st State then they can pay taxes.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 10:53 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Any foreign national who insists on violating our laws and plans to continue to violate them, no matter what the rationale, is our enemy.

Enemy?
Criminal, yes.
But enemy? C'mon.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 10:57 am
http://dvorak.org/blog/images/billlamex.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 11:28 am
WHAT ? ! ? ! ?

Them dirty, commie feriners . . . why i oughta . . . what . . . yes i took my meds . . . what, already? . . . but i'm just gettin' warmed up . . . ok, ok . . . hey, Napoleon, it's yer turn to use the pc . . .
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 11:39 am
Don't worry, Set. The South will rise again, and when they do, they will put a stop to all of this.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 12:17 pm
And it's in Spanish...

Have they no shame!?!?
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 02:33 am
Love the concept - kind of like Paul McCartney's idea of giving Ireland back to the Irish...
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 03:55 pm
Oh...I just love JW's new site. I highly recommend a peek around.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 04:13 pm
Sedition.
I for one am sick of the hyphenated American. People who come to live in the US should come to become an American. If not they should stay the hell out.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 04:42 pm
woiyo wrote:
If Mexico wants open boarders,

Well, I recently had a room for rent and being a Lesbian, I certainly wanted an open boarder. Laughing Rolling Eyes Laughing Embarrassed
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 04:51 pm
au1929 wrote:
Sedition.
I for one am sick of the hyphenated American. People who come to live in the US should come to become an American. If not they should stay the hell out.

yep, i'm with ya there, au. i am not a "european-american", i am not a "european immigrant". i'm an american, born and raised.

and since this keeps coming up;

are the proponents of illegal immigration being a reclamation "of what is really mexico, anyway" and "the southwest was originally spanish speaking" trying to tell us that the mayans, the aztecs, the toltecs et.al spoke spanish?

does the name cortez ring any bells ?

i have no problem with legal immigration by anyone, from anywhere. my entire adult life has and is intertwined with people from other countries.

but there is no case to be made for allowing illegal immigration. not by the left and not by the right, although both have been doing so to push their own agendas.

immigrating to the united states is a privilige, not a right...
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 05:24 pm
DOUGLAS HEALEY/AP

Far from border, a migration flash point

In Danbury, Conn., an influx of illegal immigrants raises hard questions about jobs and the standard of living.

By Alexandra Marks | Staff writer of The Christian Science Monitor

DANBURY, CONN. – Fed up with the federal government's inability to control the influx of undocumented workers, an increasing number of local communities are taking matters into their own hands. In Danbury, Conn., the mayor has called for state police to be deputized as immigration officials to cope with the thousands of undocumented workers in this leafy suburb. In New Ipswich, N.H., the police chief has begun charging illegal immigrants with criminal trespass after federal officials released others he'd arrested. And in Elsmere, Del., the town council is considering an ordinance that would fine undocumented workers $100. The landlords who rent to them and the employers who hire them would face $1,000 fines for each offense.
These developments come as concern about undocumented immigration is reaching new heights. A Fox News/ Opinion Dynamics poll released last week found that 91 percent of Americans think that illegal immigration is a very serious or somewhat serious problem.

"What we see is a general failure of the federal government to control undocumented migration into the United States," says Marcelo Suárez-Orozco, co-director of Immigration Studies at New York University. "At the same time, there's a growing momentum at the state level, county level, and in local communities to attempt to manage, in however faulty or problematic way, this elephant in the room in today's migration."
Continued
http://csmonitor.com/2005/0510/p03s01-ussc.html
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 05:43 pm
au1929 wrote:
DOUGLAS HEALEY/AP

Far from border, a migration flash point

In Danbury, Conn., an influx of illegal immigrants raises hard questions about jobs and the standard of living.

By Alexandra Marks | Staff writer of The Christian Science Monitor

DANBURY, CONN. - Fed up with the federal government's inability to control the influx of undocumented workers, an increasing number of local communities are taking matters into their own hands. In Danbury, Conn., the mayor has called for state police to be deputized as immigration officials to cope with the thousands of undocumented workers in this leafy suburb. In New Ipswich, N.H., the police chief has begun charging illegal immigrants with criminal trespass after federal officials released others he'd arrested. And in Elsmere, Del., the town council is considering an ordinance that would fine undocumented workers $100. The landlords who rent to them and the employers who hire them would face $1,000 fines for each offense.
These developments come as concern about undocumented immigration is reaching new heights. A Fox News/ Opinion Dynamics poll released last week found that 91 percent of Americans think that illegal immigration is a very serious or somewhat serious problem.

"What we see is a general failure of the federal government to control undocumented migration into the United States," says Marcelo Suárez-Orozco, co-director of Immigration Studies at New York University. "At the same time, there's a growing momentum at the state level, county level, and in local communities to attempt to manage, in however faulty or problematic way, this elephant in the room in today's migration."
Continued
http://csmonitor.com/2005/0510/p03s01-ussc.html

91% of Americans?
This is a statistic made of a nation who champions democracy, yet consistently has at least half of their population voluntarily abstain from participating in the democratic process?
I find it hard to believe 91% of Americans can differentiate the real problem America faces regarding illegals vs the perceived problem America faces as legal immigrants dilute their nation.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 05:49 pm
Payments to Help Hospitals Care for Illegal Immigrants

By ROBERT PEAR
Published: May 10, 2005
WASHINGTON, May 9 - The Bush administration announced on Monday that it would start paying hospitals and doctors for providing emergency care to illegal immigrants.The money, totaling $1 billion, will be available for services provided from Tuesday through September 2008. Congress provided the money as part of the 2003 law that expanded Medicare to cover prescription drugs, but the new payments have nothing to do with the Medicare program.Members of Congress from border states, like Senator Jon Kyl, Republican of Arizona, had sought the money. They said the treatment of illegal immigrants imposed a huge financial burden on many hospitals, which are required to provide emergency care to patients who need it, regardless of their immigration status or ability to pay.Under the new program, hospitals are supposed to ask patients for certain documents to substantiate claims for payment. But Dr. Mark B. McClellan, administrator of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, said a hospital should not directly ask a patient "if he or she is an undocumented alien."Instead, Dr. McClellan said, hospitals can try to establish a patient's status by analyzing the answers to "indirect questions": Is the person eligible for Medicaid? (If so, payment is generally not available under the new program.) Has the person reported a foreign place of birth? Does the person have a border-crossing card like those issued to Mexican citizens? Does the person have a foreign passport, a foreign driver's license or a foreign identification card?

continued
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/10/politics/10health.html?th&emc=th
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 05:54 pm
it seems to me that the united states federal government - which i always thought is in charge of border control - is not very concerned about illegals coming in from mexico. i would be interested to hear why you think this might be so - i have some ideas, but like to hear from citizens of the united states why you think your government is somewhat complacent in this matter.

last time i was in texas was in 1979, and i remember that we saw plenty of what the locals called 'wetbacks' walking back to mexico. the locals also told us that those same 'wetbacks' would probably be back in texas within a few days and that the local farmers were waiting for them to work on their farms. has anything really changed ?
just wondering. hbg
0 Replies