You can be for the truth or with the terrorists

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 02:52 pm
You can be for the truth or with the terrorists

May 04, 2005

JOURNALISM may be the first draft of history, but it is often a very rough draft indeed. The perspective offered by history frequently requires a total rewrite. This especially applies to war. And it must be especially remembered in the wake of the terrible news that an Australian, Douglas Wood, has been taken hostage by Iraqi insurgents. Wood has become the latest propaganda tool in their battle with Coalition forces, with the Iraqi people and with Iraq's new democracy. The terrorists want US, Australian and British troops out of Iraq and will rely on a media-fuelled compassion campaign to achieve that goal. And driven by daily deadlines, ratings and its instinctive objection to the Iraq war, the media will no doubt comply.

That is a pity. While Wood deserves all our help and our sympathy, Iraq, and indeed kidnap victims such as Wood, would benefit if more journalists reported not just the daily horrors of war, but also stories that provide for a longer view. Much of our media has not done that to date. Most of the media took up a common position on Iraq very early on. Intervention was a dreadful mistake. "Quagmire" was the word du jour for months on end. "Quagmire" harked back to Vietnam, the first war beamed home to the baby boomer generation on their televisions. Back then, the media played a pivotal role in turning public opinion against continued military intervention in Vietnam. Back then, most contemporary journalists thought Vietnam would be better off if US troops pulled out. History is not so sure.

Fast forward 30 years and it is as if the same generation, now all grown up and making television programs and writing newspaper reports about a different war, has hit the replay button. Certainly, Jane Fonda has not draped herself over one of Saddam Hussein's tanks, but a steady line of Hollywood types has been bashing George W. Bush for going into Iraq. And the media has hardly budged from their bad-news angle.

Admittedly, there was a brief moment in early March when even the most anti-war newspapers seemed to be revising their positions on Iraq. Like a breath of fresh air, London's Independent newspaper dared to ask "Was Bush right after all?" as it tracked developments across the Middle East, from Lebanon to Palestine, from Egypt to Saudi Arabia and, yes, in Iraq. Ditto Germany's Der Spiegel and France's Le Monde.

But, alas, the bad-news angle is too seductive. Even when the Iraqi parliament approved a new cabinet last week, much of the media's tone was bleak. For The Sydney Morning Herald's Paul McGeough, it was a case

of the "war-weary Iraqis" heaving a "sigh of relief" over the endorsement of a "government of sorts".

Delete the gratuitous descriptions and here's the news. Iraqis now have their first democratically elected government in 50 years. While some cabinet jobs are yet to be settled, the new 27-member cabinet includes Shia, Sunnis, Kurds and even a Christian. Six are women. The jockeying for position in this "government of sorts" looks pretty much like the usual haggle-fest that goes on in democracies when positions of power are up for grabs.

Good news is not hard to come by. But when something positive does happen, it either gets filtered through the anti-war eyes of the media or is all but ignored. And that is what the terrorists are counting on. They must detest The Wall Street Journal. Each fortnight the paper's website (www.wsj.com) includes a round-up of good news from Iraq. It makes for refreshing reading, if only to even up the Iraq ledger.

Last week came the latest instalment, all 27 pages of it. It included reports that Baghdad real estate prices are on the rise, that the Baghdad Stock Exchange is back trading at expanded volumes. That production of oil in the south is reaching 1.1million barrels a day, close to pre-war levels. That USAID projects are helping to set up proper legal and regulatory authorities. That USAID work on Baghdad Airport is nearly complete, giving it "100 per cent electrical self-sufficiency" freeing up power for the national grid.

One sobering reminder of life under the former Iraqi dictator also failed to make the cut at most Australian newspapers. Late last week it was revealed that 113 Kurds - all but five of them women and children - were found in mass graves near the southern city of Samawah. There is a skeleton of a teenage girl clutching a bag of possessions. Many women were wearing their best clothes, like the shiny gold and purple dress found in one of the 18 trenches. Ten were babies. Since the fall of Saddam Hussein, more than 290 mass graves have been found, filled with at least 300,000 people believed to have been executed by the Baathist regime.

The Australian and The Daily Telegraph reported the story yesterday. But where was the rest of our press on this important story? Ignoring it, perhaps, because they are loath to remind us that the Iraqi people are free from such tyranny.

The media is a player in modern warfare. The more they inform us about hostages, the more hostages are taken. This is the deadly, inevitable, side to the information age. But if the media would more often lift their head above the ruck and look to the longer view as well as today's disaster, the distinction between journalism and history may not be quite so stark as it is now.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 632 • Replies: 19
No top replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 03:01 pm
It is amusing that even conservatives are drawing comparisons between Iraq and Vietnam now.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 08:50 pm
I'm sorry that's all you gleaned from the article.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 09:47 pm
For most of us truth has complexities that it seems you are unable to comprehend in your Manichean universe, McGentrix.

never mind.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 07:36 am
dwolan:-

Mac has a point surely?You can't dismiss his post as easy as that.You discredit yourself.Answer the post and we will read.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 08:12 am
The truth according to who?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 10:31 am
It would also be amusing at how much conservatives hate the free press, but that is old news by now.

Considering how well things are going in Iraq now though, what with the stable government, effectiveness of the well-trained Iraqi troops to contain violence and the democracy breaking out all over the Middle East, the author may have a point.

If only the current Peace, Prosperity, Unity and Happiness that exist all over Iraq ere better reported.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 11:55 am
I'm curious, McG, how you think the thread title applies to the article.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 12:12 pm
In fairness of McG, that simplistic title is from the article's actual headline. So it's the headline writer's summary of the article, not McG's.

But the Manichean world view, as dlowan suggests, is very much in vogue these days among the shallow thinkers who got us into this mess...
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 12:14 pm
It is clear as day to me.

A free press that strays from the "truth" (aka. the official administration line) helps the enemy. This is why we lost in Vietnam. This is also the reason behind any setbacks in Iraq.

Can't you see how disagreeing with the president's point of view is the same as siding with terrorists?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 12:16 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
In fairness of McG, that simplistic title is from the article's actual headline. So it's the headline writer's summary of the article, not McG's.

But the Manichean world view, as dlowan suggests, is very much in vogue these days among the shallow thinkers who got us into this mess...

Oh, thanks D'art and apologies McG. Well, that makes it even worse.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 12:33 pm
ebrown_p wrote:

A free press that strays from the "truth" (aka. the official administration line) helps the enemy. This is why we lost in Vietnam. This is also the reason behind any setbacks in Iraq.

Can't you see how disagreeing with the president's point of view is the same as siding with terrorists?

That is not what the author is saying at all.

The truth is not "the official administration line". It is the truth and is as subjective as the person telling it.

When the free press refuses to have integrity and stops telling a story because it won't sell papers, then it is no longer a free press. It is a fee-based press and can no longer be relied upon to tell the truth.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 12:35 pm
Ah, yes, free market media.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 12:48 pm
McG, the reason all those good stories might get ignored don't have anything to do with which side a person is on or making money.

The simple fact is that until the security situation gets under control nothing else is going to matter for Iraqis.

When there are twenty or so deaths everyday now it is hard to think about something that happened twenty years ago under Saddam Hussien.

Maybe with a lot of luck and prayers the Iraq situation will have a happier ending but unless a miracle happens it will be a while yet.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 12:48 pm
"Fee-based press"? What the heck does that mean? Are there many non-profit media organizations out there covering the news?

Hint: They're all trying to make a buck. It may not be there primary purpose, but they still have to make dough.

Though, in truth, there are exceptions. Murdoch's NY Post bleeds red ink, but he can afford it thanks to his other holdings...
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 01:01 pm
D'art,

There is NPR (a non-profit organization) that does a pretty good, balanced and thorough job covering the news. I have the feeling that McGentrix won't like that either.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 01:06 pm
I listen to NPR daily and it is hardly balanced.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 02:09 pm
McGentrix wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:

That is not what the author is saying at all.

The truth is not "the official administration line". It is the truth and is as subjective as the person telling it.

When the free press refuses to have integrity and stops telling a story because it won't sell papers, then it is no longer a free press. It is a fee-based press and can no longer be relied upon to tell the truth.

What story has the press stopped telling McG?

The only thing I find interesting about this article is that it thinks that truth in media comes from editorial positions rather than reporting. How does a reporter report on the "longer view" as this author demanded? What is good news and what is bad news? Isn't it just news?

Is it really "good news" that Iraqi oil production is almost to the level it was before the US invaded? The reader is free to make that decision but declaring it "good news" is an editorial position. I think it is a shame that Iraqi oil production was decimated by the war and even 2 years later it isn't above what it was before the war. You are free to have the opposite opinion but when a newspaper classifies it as "good news" it is hardly just reporting the truth. It is attempting to shade the truth by declaring it good.

Quote:
But, alas, the bad-news angle is too seductive. Even when the Iraqi parliament approved a new cabinet last week, much of the media's tone was bleak. For The Sydney Morning Herald's Paul McGeough, it was a case

of the "war-weary Iraqis" heaving a "sigh of relief" over the endorsement of a "government of sorts".

Delete the gratuitous descriptions and here's the news. Iraqis now have their first democratically elected government in 50 years. While some cabinet jobs are yet to be settled, the new 27-member cabinet includes Shia, Sunnis, Kurds and even a Christian. Six are women. The jockeying for position in this "government of sorts" looks pretty much like the usual haggle-fest that goes on in democracies when positions of power are up for grabs.
Is it a "bad news" angle to call the Iraqis "war weary"? Certainly, they must be with the daily bombings. Is it really truthful reporting to want to paint the govt in Iraq as if it was no different than the recent vote in Britian? I think it hides the problems in the country to put such a lovely spin on it. Is the British viewpoint of their election and new govt wrangling different from Iraqi viewpoint? I can only think they each see it through eyes of what else is going on in their societies. Failing to report how they view it would be less truthful.

If anything, the only one proposing to stop telling the story is the author of the article when he wants to remove mentions of Iraqi problems in discussing their progress.
0 Replies

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 10:41 am
D'artagnan wrote:
"Fee-based press"? What the heck does that mean? Are there many non-profit media organizations out there covering the news?

Yes.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 06:21 pm
spendius wrote:
dwolan:-

Mac has a point surely?You can't dismiss his post as easy as that.You discredit yourself.Answer the post and we will read.

Ok, Spendius - though I weary of the points.

It was the headline which most wearied and sickened me.

Just how often are people to try this pathetic fallacy of attempting to create a totally false dichotomy? Ok. Headlines are headlines - they try to grab attention - nonetheless this one is so meretricious as to be beneath contempt.

The author goes on to complain that the media are not presenting the war as s/he wishes.

So? They do not present it as I wish, either. I would wish to see more of the realities of the war - even though it seems we see more than the Americans see in their media.

Also - let us look at one instance of reporting that is a clear assertion, rather than a general moan - the reporting of the mass grave. My local Murdoch - The Advertiser - rightly (for a change, in my view) - reported the awfulness of this atrocity. Skimmed over? I don't think so.

The rest of it is the usual moans about "They don't talk nice about the gains." Matter of opinion. To be fair, I get little of my international news from Oz - the news I do read speaks of gains and losses pretty equally. But - I DO skim Oz media - nothing, I repeat NOTHING justifies the ridiculous intellectual whoredom of the headline.

Come on - the article is a "Think like I do or you're a terrorist".

As far as I can see it is moaning about the sensationalism of the press. Yep - by and large Oz newspapers (especially the Murdoch ones - like the one where I live) suck. Media loves sensation. It sells.

Don't turn it into some Manichean plot by the evil - ie those who do not think like the author, and Mc Gentrix.
0 Replies