"Flagrant and vain use of God's name for political gain."

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 05:02 am
Mississippi moves toward posting Commandments in public buildings

Quote:
March 31, 2005

JACKSON, Miss. - Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour indicated Wednesday he was inclined to sign a bill that would require all public buildings to have postings of the Ten Commandments, "In God We Trust" and excerpts from Jesus' Sermon on the Mount.

The Mississippi House overwhelmingly approved the measure on a 97-15 vote with little debate Wednesday. The Senate approved it Tuesday on a 40-4 vote, but not before one lawmaker tried to kill the bill.

Barbour spokesman Pete Smith said "the governor is inclined to sign" the bill into law.

Democratic Sen. Johnnie Walls unsuccessfully tried to kill the bill Tuesday.

"What we're attempting to do here is proselytize our religion," he said. "We're setting ourselves up for a lot of ridicule. Again, Mississippi will look less than progressive."

Rabbi Debra Kassoff called the bill a "flagrant and vain use of God's name for political gain."

"I am offended by the Legislature's disregard for separation of church and state, a principle that has allowed religious minorities of every creed to live and flourish in this country for over 200 years, largely without fear," Kassoff wrote in an e-mail to the Associated Press.

Under the bill, the Decalogue, the Beatitudes and "In God We Trust," can be posted in public buildings. Since 2001, Mississippi has had a law requiring the motto "In God We Trust" to be posted in every public school classroom.

"I'm in favor of that bill without equivocation," said House Speaker Billy McCoy, D-Rienzi.

Rep. Reecy Dickson, D-Macon, who was opposed to the bill, said the legislation served no purpose and the passages could appear on public school walls housing a diverse student population.

"It seems unjust to impose someone's religious beliefs onto someone else," she said.

But Azzam Abumirshid, president of the Mississippi Muslim Association, said he has no objection to the bill.

"The Muslim faith and the Christian faith, we share the Ten Commandments. I don't know why people felt we would be offended," Abumirshid said.

Some lawmakers said the state shouldn't proceed with the bill until the U.S. Supreme Court ruled on the constitutionality of displaying the Ten Commandments on public property.

The justices are weighing arguments in cases from Kentucky and Texas. It is the court's first consideration of the issue since 1980, when justices ruled the Ten Commandments could not be displayed in public schools.

Rep. Cecil Brown, D-Jackson, who supported the bill, said if the legislation is found to be unconstitutional the displays would be removed.

"The more we can remind people about their moral ethics in society, the better off we are," Brown said.

Mississippi lets religious documents be posted on public property

Quote:

JACKSON, Miss. — Mississippi is among the first states in the nation to make it lawful to allow religious documents to be posted on public property.

The law gives permission to those in authority of public buildings to post the Ten Commandments, excerpts of Jesus' Sermon on the Mount and the motto, "In God We Trust."

By signing Senate Bill 2486 on April 20, Gov. Haley Barbour "thrills" the Christian conservative base of the Republican Party, which he'll need if he plans to seek re-election or launch a presidential campaign, said Larry J. Sabato, director of the director of the Institute of Politics at the University of Virginia.

"Fundamentalist Christians can be a majority of those who turn up in caucus primaries. This would be very useful in seeking the Republican nomination for president," Sabato said. . . .

"When I went to Yazoo High, we started each day with prayer and a Ten Commandments monument stood right outside the front door on the grounds of the school. Those were good things back then, and they would be good things today," Barbour said. . . .

[click here to read entire article]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 402 • Replies: 5
No top replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 06:24 am
States rights issue. Apparently, the elected officials are overwhelmingly in favor of it.

I don't live there, but support the rights of the elected officials.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 08:20 am
I wonder if woiyo would be as enthusiastic if a souvereign Iraqi government would pass a law that would require all public buildings to have postings of Koran phrases...
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 08:38 am
The contract by the builder of my new home had a condition written in stating they were not responsible for damages incurred by "acts of God".
Couldn't help to wonder why "God" is put in place of "nature".
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 08:49 am
old europe wrote:
I wonder if woiyo would be as enthusiastic if a souvereign Iraqi government would pass a law that would require all public buildings to have postings of Koran phrases...

None of my business how a soverign nation and their elected officials run their nations. So long as their decisions do not put my country at risk.

If the elected officials of Iraq want to do that, it is no concern to me.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 08:50 am
old europe wrote:

None of my business how a soverign nation and their elected officials run their nations. So long as their decisions do not put my country at risk.

If the elected officials of Iraq want to do that, it is no concern to me.
0 Replies