Frozen Candles Burn Longer

Noddy24

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 05:22 pm
Could the "freeze candles" notion go back to the days of tallow (animal fat) candles?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 05:35 pm
Say, someone suggested freezing coffee instead of candles. I have, at one time or another, kept coffee in the freezer, in the refrigerator, and now at room temp., in jar in a cupboard.

What is best, I wonder. Anyone really know?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 05:39 pm
Everything you wanted to know about storing coffee:

http://www.ineedcoffee.com/99/07/storage/

Coffee Storage
by Ryan Jacobs

Imagine the following scenario:

You have just come home from your favorite coffee shop with two pounds of Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee, freshly roasted. Normally, you wouldn't buy so much at one time, but it was a steal at $20 a pound! Realizing that you won't be able to drink this within a week, you decide that you need to find a better place to store your highly prized (and priced) coffee to best preserve its flavor. What will you do? This particular situation is one where your coffee will have both long-term and short-term storage needs.

To Freeze or Not To Freeze

Often times, it would be suggested to store your coffee in the freezer. After all, at colder temperatures, molecular activity (including flavor molecules migrating) slows down, right? This is true. But does slowing molecular migration down preserve the flavor of the coffee? Not necessarily.

You see, there are other variables at work in a freezer.

A frozen environment will allow water molecules to attach to the coffee beans and/or packaging.
A freezer has other flavor molecules floating around in it (remember that fish sale 3 weeks ago?)
A freezer door opens and closes very often under normal use.

What does this mean for your coffee?

This means that water will contact the surface of the bean and ice will form. When the water melts, that water will find its way into the porous bean and the bean will begin to deteriorate the quality of the coffee. Secondly, you should keep in mind that roasted coffee is porous. This is the property of coffee that allows roasters to make Hazelnut flavored coffee. (It isn't grown that way.) So if you put your Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee in the freezer, it needs to be well protected against the possibility of tasting like liquid salmon.

Wrap It Up

Your goal should be to keep the coffee's contact with water to a minimum. Moreover, the coffee should thaw only once - right before it is brewed. I would suggest keeping the beans in the original packaging. Then place the package in a zippered storage bag. You can draw out the excess air by using a straw to suck out the air while you close the bag. If you do not have a zippered bag, you can wrap the beans using a plastic wrap. I use even more layers! After this initial wrapping, I place the coffee bean bundle in another paper bag. Again, wrap the bag with plastic wrap, then I cover it with foil. It may sound like overkill, but it is worth it. You've invested money in this gourmet coffee, you need to protect your investment.

Freezing, In A Nutshell

Freezing coffee is applicable for storage of coffee that won't be used within 1-2 weeks of roasting. It is not optimal for everyday use.

No Refrigerators!

If you are wondering about the refrigerator, it is a no-no for coffee. Since the temperature is generally around 37 degrees, the water that is inside doesn't freeze. It is a cold mist that lingers on the coffee and there are even more scents and flavor molecules floating around. Liquid water is coffee's worst enemy during storage. Under no circumstance would I ever recommend using the refrigerator for storing coffee.

Room Temperature Storage

Storing coffee at room temperature is the most convenient method of storage. It works well for coffee that will be consumed within one to two weeks of purchase.

Eliminate The Negative

When storing at room temperature certain environmental factors to be minimized and eliminated if possible.

Oxygen
Water
Excessive Heat
Direct Sunlight
Other flavors

All of these factors will destroy the coffee's flavor. A great device for mitigating these factors is a ceramic canister that holds ½ lb. to 1lb. of coffee. The canister should have some sort of sealing mechanism that does not allow air to circulate. There is a fundamental rule of physics that states that matter can not occupy the same space as other matter. So keeping your coffee filled to the rim of this container will minimize the possibility of negative elements corrupting your coffee.

Additionally, a ceramic canister will protect the coffee from sunlight, water and flavor migration. Flavor migration happens when the container harbors flavors. Plastic containers are great examples of this concept. Plastics allow flavor molecules to penetrate and metallic canisters allow metallic flavors to migrate. Ceramic containers, on the other hand, are sealed and baked. Consequently, they will not corrupt the flavor of the coffee.

Bottom Line

Short-term storage (within one to two weeks of purchase) should be done in a ceramic container with a good sealing mechanism. Fill the canister to capacity.

Conclusion

If you find yourself at a coffee shop that has a sale on Jamaican Blue Mountain and if you buy more than you can brew in a week or two, store the coffee properly.

Determine which portion of that coffee you will consume within one week.
Put the amount that you can consume in that week into a ceramic canister.
Divide the rest of the coffee into 'one-week packages' and store in the freezer as I've described in this article.
When you need more coffee, pull another 'one-week package' out of the freezer and transfer the coffee into short-term storage.

Copyright © 1999-2003 INeedCoffee is a project of Digital Colony
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 07:49 am
Ok - if it is true, WHY is it true???????
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 08:57 am
Thanks, Noddy. I will peruse....
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 09:21 am
D'artagnan --

Personally, I'm not passionate about the fine points of keeping coffee--or freezing candles--but many people beam contentedly when you admire their esoteric expertise.

'Tis love that makes the world go round.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 06:45 pm
Hmmm. I dunno about candles. Re coffee beans, the last quoted expert sounds correct... except that I remember from my laboratory days that refrigerator freezers freeze at a not particularly cold level and that there is a constant freeze thaw process going on at that fairly moderate temperature, and not just from door opening - thus protein breaks down over time in a regular freezer. We froze some specimens in liquid nitrogen and stored them in a small -70 degree freezer, which did not have the ongoing freeze-thaw occur. So, assuming that is generally true, the coffee - and perhaps candle - in ceramic container is protected in your refrigerator's freezer somewhat, but not entirely.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 12:46 pm
FIRST FIG

My candle burns at both ends;
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--
It gives a lovely light.

Edna St. Vincent Millay
0 Replies

corebear

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 10:47 pm
freezing candles
Why do they not tell you to freeze candles on the box? Yes, they want you to burn them quicker so you'll buy more. Advertisers tell you to use a cup of laundry detergent, when half a cup will work just as good. Ever notice in commercials they load up the toothbrush with toothpaste. They spray a **** load of imitation cheese on the craker. They scoop up half the jar os salsa with a single corn chip. Ever notice how much "Country Crock" they spread on a muffin? Enough to give you an instant corinary. In commercials they spray "Fabreeze" an everything. They spray half the can of air freshener into a room, when just a spuirt will do.

They want you to use the product and buy more.

Freeze your candles. Use half the amount of toothpaste you normally do. I promise, your teeth will still get clean.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 11:02 pm
Oh, puleese! We're trying to save a marriage here, and you're running on about toothpaste, and who knows what all.
0 Replies

throbbage

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 05:31 pm
@Craven de Kere,
Dont know
0 Replies

12lrenne

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 02:32 pm
@Craven de Kere,
I just did a science fair project on this and they burned at exactly the same speed. However, being the middle of winter, there is a possibility that they all froze together when being transported to the store.
0 Replies