Frozen Candles Burn Longer

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 08:39 pm
Seems like our biggest arguments are always because of the most ridiculous of reasons.

BBee and I are not talking tonight because of a difference of opinion over what I think is certainly a myth, but she thinks is truth.

Anyway, this brings me to you all :wink:!

Our freezer is crammed full of stuff.

Ever since I've known BBee she has believed that frozen candles burn longer and drip less then non-frozen candles. And, she being a lover of all kinds of candles, stores them all inside the freezer.

I think it's total bunk!

Seems to me it would be an easy thing to prove either way! Take two like candles, one frozen and one room temperature, and light them at the same time... one would either burn faster then the other... or not... or whatever.

Believe it or not, when I put the following search term in Google, "candles in the freezer," about half of what came back suggests that frozen candles DO burn longer.

She won't listen to me, but she might listen to you.

Frozen candles burn longer: MYTH or REALITY.

I say MYTH.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 16,111 • Replies: 31
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 08:41 pm
I say reality. Just test it. How much of a difference it makes will likely depend on the size of the candle and wick as well as the room temperature.

Anywho, candles are cheap. It may cost more to freeze them than any savings gained through doing so.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 08:44 pm
Beeswax ? 100% ?

Get several of the same sort and test it out.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 08:45 pm
Mebbe not, though. Refrigerators and freezers are more efficient when they're full. If the candles are taking up space that would otherwise be empty, freezing 'em may be saving you money.

Easiest way to find out if it's crap or not is just to try it, though. I'd do three or four or five frozen and room temp, to avoid any, y'know, aberrant candles.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 08:51 pm
Freezers that are annexed to refrigerators are generally too small for many people. I suppose if you don't cook and only have ice cube trays or an ice cube maker and perhaps a bottle of primo vodka, candles would be fine stacked up in there.

For someone like me who keeps hot italian sausages and batteries and nuts and homemade candied orange peel and pizza dough divided after making a batch, and miscellaneous stuff like english muffins... and the local ravioli maker's package - no way.

Oh, and coffee beans.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 08:52 pm
They may burn longer when frozen but the light they put out is wasted once you close the freezer door. Wink
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 08:53 pm
I've heard that plumber's candles burn longest of all, but have no idea what a plumber's candle might be.

No, Clay, don't do this. Why ruin a really great discussion topic?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 08:58 pm
So could the Hanukkah miracle be explained by an Egyptian cold snap?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 08:59 pm
patiodog wrote:
Mebbe not, though. Refrigerators and freezers are more efficient when they're full. If the candles are taking up space that would otherwise be empty, freezing 'em may be saving you money.

It would depend on how often the candles are exchanged/used too. In any case the original post described them as taking the place of other items.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 09:05 pm
I also say myth. Something to consider is that water will compromise the wax.

The only part that should be put into the freezer is the candle holder after the was has melted. Freezing will make it easier to remove the wax from the holder.

If you want longer burning candles that burn cleanly, use pure beeswax candles. Beeswax has the highest melting point of any wax. They burn slowly and do not produce smoke, nor do they drip. However, any quality candle should be smokeless.

Get the candles out of the freezer. Store your coffee instead. :-)
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 09:38 pm
Well, I'm not gonna test it. You test it.

Why ruin a perfectly good debate by finding out?

I say REALITY! Frozen candles burn longer because freezing them wedges their molecules into a tighter wax bond, excludes some air or water impurities, and requires more heat energy to loosen and burn.

That, and it requires a greater temperature change in the wax before it's sublimation point is acheived, in direct proportion to it's thermal mass.

So there it is.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 09:49 pm
Now ya hafta go and confuse things with facts! Laughing
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 09:51 pm
1) Always make up a "fact" before someone else does.

2) Use at least four syllables and three indespicable phrases.
0 Replies

ClayandBBee

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 12:50 am
Thank You ALL!

BBee and I started talking again, and we had some good laughs!

I would have responded earlier but BBee got ahold of the computer to look up information on wildflowers. Shesh!

ClayandBBee wrote:
Our freezer is crammed full of stuff.

That's right... and every time you open it something either falls out or you end up removing half of what's in there to find the thing you're looking for.

If we took out the candles we would get a lot of room to put things... like, for example, food.

fishin' wrote:
They may burn longer when frozen but the light they put out is wasted once you close the freezer door. Wink

ROFL

roger wrote:
I've heard that plumber's candles burn longest of all, but have no idea what a plumber's candle might be.

Clay: What's a plumber's candle?
BBee: ?

patiodog wrote:
So could the Hanukkah miracle be explained by an Egyptian cold snap?

Clay: HAHAHAHAHAnukkah
BBee: HAHAHAHAHAHAoops

Thanks again...
But Wait... I must write more!

When was the last time you saw a label on a candle which said: "For Best Results Keep Frozen"?

If you were marketing your candle to sell, why wouldn't you put something on the box which said, "Our candles are guaranteed to burn longer then frozen ones... there's No Need To Freeze!

How come a reputable dealer of arts and crafts, such as "Michaels", doesn't keep candles in giant walk in freezers?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 12:53 am
Cause they don't want them to burn longer. They want you to buy more candles! Laughing
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 12:55 am
ClayandBBee wrote:
When was the last time you saw a label on a candle which said: "For Best Results Keep Frozen"?

Never. However I have, in the course of the entertainment your thread wrought, found one saying to "never" freeze their candles.

Quote:
If you were marketing your candle to sell, why wouldn't you put something on the box which said, "Our candles are guaranteed to burn longer then frozen ones... there's No Need To Freeze!

Well... the same site said to keep them in the fridge.... But they are anal enough to also say to "never" blow out a candle!

http://www.blyth.com/ourbrands/cct/ wrote:
Keep votive candles, or roomscenters, in your refrigerator, wrapped in aluminum foil or plastic wrap to prevent cracking, prior to burning to lengthen their burn time. Never freeze candles.

How full is your fridge? :-D
0 Replies

ClayandBBee

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 11:16 am
Somebody explain to me why...

This topic was moved from Relationships and Marriage to Home Improvement when I started it out with "Seems like our biggest arguments ..."

I posted in Relationships and Marriage because I was seeking help from other married folk to help me and BBee get through a rough night. If any moderator actually read it... they would easily see that this was all about a relationship issue.

Even though I'm a newbie to this board, I was hoping to utilize it fully until now.

Able2Know? How could they not be able 2 know that this topic was about marriage?

And I was going to try to get our bird watching group to come to this, obviously massive, BBS, to discuss bird counts, etc.... but now I don't know... they might move us to Automobile Repair.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 11:53 am
I moved it. And yes I had seen that it had one small mention of the subject matter being part of an argument.

The subject matter of the thread, however, has nothing to do with relationships and we move threads to the most appropriate category whether or not the individual threatens not to invite their friends. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

ClayandBBee

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 12:17 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
I moved it.... we move threads to the most appropriate category whether or not the individual threatens not to invite their friends. Rolling Eyes

I apologize. It was uncalled for to "threaten" not to bring my friends. I'm always saying things I don't really mean.

Thanks for responding.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 12:23 pm
Quote:
Apparently there is a controversy over to freeze or not freeze candles! I have not froze mine but wanted to give other experiences. I did do some research and found candle makers advise not to freeze because some candles will crack. One source said to freeze for just 2 hours before using. I also found a chemistry tidbit that said experiments prove the frozen candles do not actually burn slower, and they do tend to become more brittle. But again, everyone has their own personal experiences! Here are what some of our subscribers have found:

WitchyHerb Lady said "I have been told by several candle party people, that freezing candles makes them burn longer and is actually a good idea."

Barbara heard this: "Once years ago the owner of an excellent restaurant here in Geneva told me that the candles they use burn more slowly and evenly because she always freezes them. I've been following her advice for years. Also apparently older candles burn more slowly than new ones but I can't really attest to that."

http://www.seedsofknowledge.com/candle.html

Whatever rows your boat! Laughing
0 Replies