U.S. tests massive bomb

frolic

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 05:20 pm
Quote:
WASHINGTON (CNN) --The U.S. Air Force tested a new 21,000-pound bomb Tuesday, dropping the device from a military transport plane over a test site at Eglin Air Force Base in Florida just after 2 p.m., U.S. officials told CNN.

The Pentagon hopes the test will pave the way for use of the bomb -- should there be a war in Iraq -- against critical targets on the surface and underground.

It was the final test of the new Massive Ordnance Air Blast, or MOAB, and the first to use actual explosives. Two previously undisclosed tests, one in February and one on Friday, were inert.

The Tuesday test was carried out at an Eglin Air Force Base test site, 60 miles east of Pensacola, Florida. The National Earthquake Information Center said it found no seismic activity as a result of the explosion.

Pentagon officials said they were examining results of the test to determine whether it worked as designed.

The Tuesday test was expected to generate so much noise that nearby residents were warned in advance. A 10,000-foot cloud was expected to result.

MOAB, privately known in military circles as "the mother of all bombs," has been under development since late last year. The bomb carries 18,000 pounds of tritonal explosives, which have an indefinite shelf life. It replaces the Vietnam-era "Daisy Cutter," a 15,000-pound bomb with 12,600 pounds of the less-powerful GSX explosives.

The Air Force may release video of the final test, in hopes of placing additional pressure on the Iraqi military.

As originally conceived, the MOAB was to be used against large formations of troops and equipment or hardened above-ground bunkers. The target set has also been expanded to include deeply buried targets.

But military officials tell CNN that the MOAB is mainly conceived as a weapon employed for "psychological operations."

"The goal is to not have a war. The goal is to have the pressure be so great that Saddam Hussein cooperates," said Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld. "Short of that, an unwillingness to cooperate, the goal is to have the capabilities of the coalition so clear and so obvious that there is an enormous disincentive for the Iraqi military to fight against the coalition and there is an enormous incentive for Saddam Hussein to leave and spare the world a conflict."

Military officials say they hope the MOAB will create such a huge blast that it will rattle Iraq troops and pressure them into surrendering or not even fighting. Officials suggest perhaps the Iraqis might even mistake a MOAB blast for a nuclear detonation.

The MOAB is deployed on a pallet from a C-130 aircraft. It initially has a parachute, but as it deploys, the Inertial Navigation System and Global Positioning System take over. The bomb also has wings and grid fins for guidance.

CNN
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,742 • Replies: 21
No top replies

muerte

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 06:23 pm
Quote:
The National Earthquake Information Center said it found no seismic activity as a result of the explosion.

Well, THAT'S gotta be pretty darn disappointing. 21K of packaged death and the seismologists don't even take notice? I think I'm gonna cry. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 06:28 pm
"...the MOAB was to be used against large formations of troops..."

Doesn't that sounds like a WMD???
0 Replies

muerte

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 06:31 pm
"WDM"? Widow Maker Device?
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 07:01 pm
Muerte, it is not 21 K. It is only 8.3 metric tons of explosives. 21K is two and half thousand times more powerful than that, and it can be only a nuclear weapon[/size], while MOAB is a conventional ordnance piece. 21K munition if it exists is tantamount to one and half "Little Boy" bombs.
0 Replies

muerte

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 08:03 pm
I'm sorry, does "K" mean something in bomb language? I was only shorthanding it rather than writing out "21,000-pound bomb". I hope I didn't sound like I actually thought I knew what I was talking about. Smile

But was I right about WMD? Guess if I was, that was one helluva guess.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 08:32 pm
21K is accepted to mean 21,000 TONS, muerte. Not pounds. Good point about WMD, though. I hate the term and am coming to use NBC, or CBR as it was called when I was in the service. That's Nuclear, Biological, or Chemical.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 08:43 pm
From what I gather, the intent of the bomb is as much psychological as it would be physical. Get people to give up.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 09:08 pm
from some general on msnbc today, this "device" is essentially unusable in Iraq other than the possibility of a desert isolated facility of some kind.
0 Replies

PatriUgg

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 09:29 pm
MOAB needs a home. Won't you help?
Well, given that one of the main purposes of war is to test new weapons that can then be sold to other countries, who could we invade in order to test the MOAB?

I'm sure a few companies would like to know, so they can start their PR invasion. Do we have to create a new enemy in Afghanistan? They have some nice cave-targets there.

Ideas, anyone?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 09:45 pm
well we seem to be pretty pissed at Canada and France.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 09:45 pm
Moab needs a home. Won't you help?
We'd have to blow something up that puts on a good show. Yet, not hurt any civilians or damage, say, an entire city.

Perhaps we could finance and collect an army of terrorists in a remote place, then install a local government that suffers mightily and complains about them. The U.S. has no qualms about assassination, so killing some civilians and framing the terrorists would fit right in.

Then our military could come in, save the day and free the local people from the terrorists by dropping ... the MOAB! Great publicity and sales would skyrocket!

Film at 11. The networks would love it, and I bet the public would even watch all the commercials too!
Only in America!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 09:57 pm
presentation is everything, the timing as to work for prime time ratings.
0 Replies

PatriUgg

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 10:00 pm
MOAB need a home. Won't you help?
Quote:
finance and collect an army of terrorists in a remote place, then install a local government that suffers mightily and complains about them

Your script is all wrong. Instead of a remote place, why not use a place that some lobby groups or industries have an interest in? Or something with major political brownie points... like Cuba!

We've been trying to assassinate Castro or invade the country one devious way or another for over four decades. What a great opportunity The new script straight from Hollywashington:

Drug dealers looking to abduct slaves set up a base in Cuba, financed with CIA money and trained by U.S. special ops. Castro goes berserk. Jungle fighting ensues and both sides resort to "terrorism". Since Americans are afraid of anything, both sides will be considered "terrorists".

The U.S. goes in, drops MOAB to obliterate the pirate base, and frees the entire civilian population from both threats.

Bingo! Cuban cigars for everyone, and Lockheed-Martin gets a new factory.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 10:05 pm
From what I am reading and seeing, the Pentagon CLAIMS that reporters will have more access to this war than ever before. Brought to you in glorious living color. Puke.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 10:24 pm
MOAB needs a new home. Won't you help?
Quote:
reporters will have more access to this war than ever before
Creating some terrorists in Cuba wouldn't work then. They don't issue permits for film crews in Cuba very easily.

Unless... we gave NBC their own bomber! They could drop a 21,000 pound Peacock on Cuba, get exclusive footage of the mushroom cloud, and claim sponsorship for the "viewer liberation" too.

You know how stadiums are all named after corporations now?
What the MOAB needs is a cool-sounding company to sponsor it.

Not to mention the current media event over in Iraq:
The McDonnell-Douglas Gulf War. The Shell-Exxon Conflagaration.
"The Texaco Oh-No Big Blast"!

I like the NBC bomber though. "Proud as a Peacock, and twice as deadly!"
0 Replies

SkisOnFire

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 10:56 pm
MOAB needs a home.
Well, we've got to drop it somewhere. A 21,000 pound bomb is a mighty big attraction. May as well pick whatever country buys the fewest American goods.
0 Replies

PatriUgg

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 11:08 pm
Keep MOAB at home.
Well, I'd be willing to pay $100 to see a big mushroom cloud, feel the earth rumble, and maybe even a big wind in my hair.
I live in a county with about 240,000 people and I bet I could talk most of them into contributing $100 too.

Do you think they would let us buy one of those MOAB's for $24 million,
and set it off just outside of town where everybody can watch?
Make a pretty cool grand finale on the Fourth of July.

Patriotic too, as we wouldn't have to buy any fireworks from China that year. The kids could even setup G.I. Joe's at ground zero and go retrieve them later.

ñlt;a href="http://www.leafspinner.com"ñgt;infoñlt;/añgt;
Code:ñlt;a href="http://www.leafspinner.com"ñgt;infoñlt;/añgt;

Quote:
ñlt;a href="http://www.leafspinner.com"ñgt;infoñlt;/añgt;

<a href="http://www.leafspinner.com">info</a>
Code:<a href="http://www.leafspinner.com">info</a>

Quote:

Code:<a href="http://www.leafspinner.com">info</a>

Quote:

http://www.leafspinner.com
http://www.leafspinner.com

www.leafspinner.com
www.leafspinner.com

leafspinner.com
[url]leafspinner.com[/url]
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 11:21 pm
...Just saw Rumsfeld on C-span, saying the bomb was intended to be used to scare the enemy, and give them "disincentive" to fight back.

Bombing for Peace - the Rumsfeld strategy.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 04:22 am
Sumac wrote:
From what I gather, the intent of the bomb is as much psychological as it would be physical. Get people to give up.

This is an implementation of the old theory of the aerial war created by the Italian general Giulio Douhet.
Quote:

Source: My Class in US Army War College - 2002.
By the way, usage of such an ordnance for psychological purposes shows that the commanders of the U.S. Army (including the Commander-in-Chief) are interested in minimum casualties: they just want Iraqis to surrender. Such an approach contradicts accusations spread by some liberal sources in the "old Europe" about possible killing of thousands of Iraqi civilians.
0 Replies